StromTrooper banner

121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Happy days,Madstad turned up about 2hrs ago,got it mounted already.Hopefully tomorrow wont be windy again and I will be able to try it out.Still got the Givi Airflow so I will able to mix and match and play for hours.Should get some joy eventually.Hope the wife doesnt have anything planned for me.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,350 Posts
I rode my Wee OEM for 3 years, then added a madstad bracket, then last year took it off and put a Givi airflow on instead.
The Givi is far, far more effective than the madstad.
The Givi has its place. But had you tried an aftermarket screen that was the proper height with the Madstad bracket I think you would never have wanted to try the Givi! The Madstad is a tool to make the screen work well, the difference a few degrees of angle, getting the height just right, and even the spacing from the bikes mounting point make ALL the difference.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Madstad bracket

I find that air temp and altitude makes a difference in how a screen works. Basically, thinner air (warm or mountain air) acts different than thicker air (cooler or sea level air). Having the Madstad allows you to adjust for the air density on the fly and thus get a better ride.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i run the tall givi windshield with madstad brackets. just road for 8 hours and hit 100,000 ft in elevation changes. no complaints from me at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wanted to get a couple of rides in before I posted my opinion of the '02-'03 madstad bracket and windshield, and I have about 2 tanks of gas down and some high speed highway runs out of the way.

It is night and day compared to the stock windshield. No buffeting that I notice anymore, at any speeds. So much so that my auto audio leveling setup in my helmet (Cardo Smartpack) doesn't start to turn up the volume until about 130km/h. Before it would start turning up the volume at anything over 60km/h. I think that's testimony enough right there.

I have only one downside to this windshield. It blocks the wind so much that riding in +25C weather is HOT because you just don't get enough airflow through your helmet/jacket. But that negative will quickly turn into a huge positive once the temps start to drop.

I have the medium 20" windshield and have it set up so it's about 2" from the lowest setting so that the edge of the top of the windscreen is above what I'm looking at down the road and doesn't bother me at all.

The quality of the whole assembly is top notch and is rock solid. I was worried about the "slip in" design of the bracket but it fits very tightly and has zero wobble even over harsh terrain. And it's super easy to adjust when you're stopped. I'm not sure how much weight the plate can hold but it extends over the gauges and would be a great place to mount a GPS or a phone.

Overall, super happy with it, would totally recommend it to anyone with the '02-'03 models with the TERRIBLE stock windshield design. 20180903_211753.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
Cee Bailey Windshield for 02-03 Vee

I have the Cee Bailey's (I think - it's been on so long I forgot where I got it from) on my '03; I'm 6'1" with only a 31" inseam, so I sit pretty tall in the saddle, and it has worked very well for me for many years - no complaints!

KevinL
Great glad it works for you but I believe Cee Baileys is out of the business of making motorcycle windshields.

·
Registered
311 Posts
More pictures PLEASE

I wanted to get a couple of rides in before I posted my opinion of the '02-'03 madstad bracket and windshield, and I have about 2 tanks of gas down and some high speed highway runs out of the way.
Can you post more detailed pictures of the installation, front back side, etc.

·
Registered
311 Posts
What is it?

It is a great screen for the bike. So much better at speed and to reduce buffeting.
Some people use it with a madstad bracket but I removed my madstad and went back to the OEM bracket when I fitted mine.
Here it is, OEM bracket and set to the lowest setting. The outer screen can be raised a further 6", but this way I can see over it while stopping the buffeting and receiving far more wind protection.
Don't think I have seen that windshield before. Can you share what is it and where you got it.

Do you know if it is available for 2002-2003 V Stroms?

·
Administrator
5,757 Posts
Don't think I have seen that windshield before. Can you share what is it and where you got it.

Do you know if it is available for 2002-2003 V Stroms?
It is the Givi Airflow AF260. The exact same model is a direct bolt on to your 1000 as well. Some use a Madstad bracket but I went from Madstad/OEM screen to OEM bracket/Givi Airflow with a HUGE difference in comfort, especially high-speed cruising.

https://www.givi.it/my-motorcycle#SUZUKI,DL_1000_V-Strom_(02_>_11)
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-af260-airflow-windscreen-v-strom-dl650-dl1000

·
Registered
18 Posts
Madstad

I have a 2003 that had the stock shield on it and it was terrible. I listened and spent the money and got the Madstad and am so happy. If you buy the right one the first time you only have to buy it once. thanks for the advice

Wild

·
Registered
311 Posts
MRA WVM Shield works for me

My ole 2003 DL1000 came with this shield when I bought it early last year. I wasn't sure I liked it at first but the more I ride it the more I like it.

I am not buffeted much unless in a high headwind situation and then its manageable. I'm about 5'11" riding on a stock seat with bars raised and pulled back a bit. My riding position is pretty upright.

Just my thoughts, not even sure these are available anymore. In my case I'm not going to fix something that isn't broken especially on a 16 year old motorcycle.

:smile2:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok so I have tried many different windscreens, last test was MRA X-Creen, which I attached to the original, but which didn't make things much better.
Now I have the National Cycle Vstream and it is the best one so far.
Of course, i'm 190cm, so that also counts.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My homemade Lexan windscreen, zero buffeting

I made a tall windscreen from a $22 sheet of Lexan from Home Depot.
I mocked up the screen with heavy paper and cut it so I’m just looking over the lip.
My bike has no side panels and I’m sure that contributes to the clean air pocket I have.
I just got back from a ride speeds up to 75 mph and I have clean air to maybe 4” above my helmet or more .
The windscreen is stable with little vibration and I think leaving the bottom open helps clean up the airflow.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
A question to those using the MADSTAD on 2002 or 2003 DL1000. I'm a rookie to riding (less than a year) and was just wondering, it looks like Madstad screens are open at the bottom allowing air to flow through? My current screen is solid at the bottom ie. no gap and no wind coming through.
I just wanted to know how much air if any flows through...can the screen be adjust to limit the airflow underneath? I'm seriously considering this screen to get rid of significant buffeting and not opposed to air flow underneath, just want to know what to expect and how it works.
Thanks in advance for any input/thoughts.
Jim

·
Registered
55 Posts
There's a big gap in mine, and it doesn't seem to cause buffeting problems. I have the V-Stream windshield which I got on Ebay. I've had about four different windshields and this one's by far the best. Plus, it's made out of Lexan, not acrylic, so it is actually some protection against rocks and whatever else might get thrown up in front of you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nationalcycle was a no! Ok so I bought one of these cheap extensions just to give it a try. Figured it wasn't much money so what the heck.

The problem is the hardware came pre-assembled but NOT to the windscreen (as I've seen in some videos) and I'm not sure how to take it apart. Videos from Revzilla show the hardware mostly in pieces except for the bolt on piece that connects to the windscreen extension...that is pre-assembled onto the windscreen extension.

Anybody buy one of these and have to first take the hardware apart in order to install it?

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Luckily I have a lrg GIVI windshield that I can easily look over while sitting in the seat and I get no buffering , however, I have been noticing a lot of new windshields with a fair sized single hole in the lower end and/or middle of the windshield. Also I have seen some other windshields with multiple holes the size of a dime all around the bottom end of the windshield. Not sure but I'm guessing these holes are for preventing windshield buffering

121 - 140 of 145 Posts