StromTrooper banner

101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just checked California Sci. Similar but its not that it. The cut out in the middle is great. It feels like a quality unit.
I checked Ebay to see if it was on there but no..

·
Registered
42 Posts
All I'm seeing in this tread is madstad good madstad bad. Why don't people use the clip on deflectors? I test rode a bike with a MRA screen (i believe) and the deflector and i had 0 buffeting. The bike I bought has a moose racing shield that blocks almost all wind except the top of my head so I figure I just need a clip on.

My question is are the ebay deflectors reasonable or should I stick with the ridiculously priced MRA one?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just installed a GIVI D260ST screen on my 2007 Vstrom with a Madstad bracket and I still get buffeting I don't like. Here is a pic: https://photos.app.goo.gl/aL4eihMePtq3m4Xo1

I am 6'2"ish and fairly wide at 270lbs. I have Rox risers and hand guards.

I have tried a stock screen, the Givi, and a short Moose screen on the Dadstad at various heights and angles. I still get buffeting around my neck/helmet that would make long rides a pain.

The only way I get relief is with no screen - but with 50 deg mornings and winter approaching - a solution would be nice.

Will the largest offering from Cali Sci? Cee Bailey? Madstad? be my next best option. They are starting to get pricey but I guess I gotta do what I gotta do.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Well, I'll jump into the fray here! I bought a $9 pair of ebay bar-end mirrors, removed the stock mirrors, and have installed one bar-end mirror so far on the left. Dropped my Givi Tall on a MadStad all the way to the bottom and about 3/4 of the way "back", and there is now only the slightest of buffeting at any speed in "clear air". While following another bike (@karlos) or in freeway traffic, or in high winds, there is more buffeting, but it's muted...meaning, it sort of moves my helmet around softly; it isn't rabbit-punching me in the head from all directions at once causing my vision to blur like it was before.

Bar-end mirrors FTW!

Yes, you do have to consciously look left and a bit down to see behind you (especially when you're wearing a Shoie X-14!). But that little 3" mirror surprisingly gives me all the info I need at a glance. I'm actually getting to where I can just tip my head down a bit and move my eyes left, but that didn't happen until I moved the mirror above the bar; I'd initially installed it hanging below the bar.

Also, there's no way to attach the stock handguards at the bar end; I'm going to experiment with a longer screw and use the stock bar-end spacer where the handguard normally goes.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Bar end mirrors wouldn't last a day on any bike I take off the beaten path. They'd be sitting next to a tree.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Bar end mirrors wouldn't last a day on any bike I take off the beaten path. They'd be sitting next to a tree.
This^ lol

I would drag those suckers down parked cars in the city too! A moron was parked illegally blocking the exit to a city lane I was on last week, and I dragged my rear bag lightly down his back bumper without even realizing it. Easy to forget how wide this thing actually is with full kit.

But I did just break down and order a Madstad kit for mine. Found a used bracket with new (unused) screen on ebay, so it's on the way. I didn't have enough range on my tall Givi screen to get clean air, so I cut it down by 4". It got the line of dirty air off the visor and down to my chin, but it still needs a little more tuning. I'll try the bracket with both the new tall Madstad screen, and the cut down Givi before I go cutting any more.

I do think new mirrors will be in the future (along with proper bark busters), but one step at a time...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well another Madstad convert here. Just got a complete used kit off of ebay for $100 CAD that included a never-mounted Madstad windshield. Installed it on the weekend and put on a couple hundred mixed miles to test since then. It works flawlessly!

I first tried the Madstad brackets with the tall Givi windscreen I had on the bike and it was a noticeable improvement, and I would even say very livable, but I tried it out on the highway in all possible positions and found it had just one small sweet spot for me (Up and tilted fully back). In that position, the tall and wide Givi screen interfered with the mirror arms well before full lock.

Once I added the new (tall but narrower) Madstad windscreen as well, it was instant heaven. Absolutely no buffeting, and a giant sweet spot. Even completely out of position, it was still very livable and far from the teeth chattering pain of the stock screen. Only a little bit of mirror arm interference at lock when tilted fully back, but that wasn't the sweet spot for me anyway, so not a concern. I'm 6'0" tall and have the screen about 2/3's up, and 2/3's back right now, and that is silky smooth. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
2003 Vee dl1000 here. Never had anything but the Cee bailey with a NACA vent that came on the bike. I am 6'3" and the screen is having me search for a new screen for my FZ1. It is that good. If I slightly duck down dead calm and silent. Here is a pic although I know not too good.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Madstad

I like the Madstad and stock screen. Find an angle that works for you. I tried Cee Bailey, but there was some buffeting and I did not like looking through the screen. No matter what screen you chose, I think the Madstad will make it better.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Anybody Tired this

Currently I have a MRA (WMV: KBA 90512) windshield system on my 2003 DL1000.

Has anyone tried this windshield with the Madstad mounting system?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the Cee Bailey's (I think - it's been on so long I forgot where I got it from) on my '03; I'm 6'1" with only a 31" inseam, so I sit pretty tall in the saddle, and it has worked very well for me for many years - no complaints!

KevinL

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just ordered the madstad setup with the medium windshield. I'm 5'11" so I'm thinking it should be perfect. I solved the clutch chudder, now I'm hoping this will solve the wind buffeting - if so, the bike will be perfect. I got less buffeting with my completely naked GS500 before this.

I have the zero gravity double bubble drop in shield right now, which from what I've read is better than the OEM shield, so I can't even imagine how bad the OEM shield is.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey guys, quick question. With the K2 and K3 version of the Madstad bracket, am I limited to Madstad windshields? Obviously I can't use the stock K2/K3 shields (or any aftermarket for those years), but does the Madstad set it up so I can use later-model shields, or is it Madstad only?

Danke in advance :)
I was told by madstad that you can only use the madstad supplied windshield with the 02-03 bikes. The holes apparently aren't in the same location as the later 04-12 shields.

They sure look like they're in the same location to me, but this is coming from madstad themselves.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
645 Posts
wind screen question

V-Strom Givi AirFlow Windscreen Windshield
is it any good for 2008 DL 1000?
Do I need to place it on MADSTAT?
Thank you
Ride safe/Ride long:smile2:

·
Administrator
5,745 Posts
It is a great screen for the bike. So much better at speed and to reduce buffeting.
Some people use it with a madstad bracket but I removed my madstad and went back to the OEM bracket when I fitted mine.
Here it is, OEM bracket and set to the lowest setting. The outer screen can be raised a further 6", but this way I can see over it while stopping the buffeting and receiving far more wind protection.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought an 04 Wee 12months ago with the Givi Airflow screen already fitted.I went away for a weekend ride when it was really windy ,worst couple of days I've ever spent riding.Had a couple of bad experiences in really strong cross winds and wondered whether the size of the screen contributed to making the bike so hard to control or not.I took the screen off and have just ordered a Madstad bracket to try with the standard screen,hopefully will improve the airflow problem.

·
Administrator
5,745 Posts
YOU GENTS,donot make it easy for choosing.
Ride safe/Ride long
I rode my Wee OEM for 3 years, then added a madstad bracket, then last year took it off and put a Givi airflow on instead.
The Givi is far, far more effective than the madstad.

101 - 120 of 145 Posts