StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
03 dl1000 windshield questiom

I was wondering if anyone has purchased the madstad bracket for an 03 and mounted a windshield other than the madstad windshield? all I see on their site is a bracket and windshield combo for sale.. I already have a madstad windshield comin for my 650 and don't know it I will like it or not.. so I would like to know if I have any other shield options?? tanks

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'll be interested in this as well. have the madstad on my 03 but got the windshield at the same time. it has been good though.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I have found this item to completely erase the problem of wind on the motorcycle...

WP_20140601_001.jpg :green_lol::green_lol::green_lol:

·
Registered
651 Posts
I had a double bubble for a SV 650 on my bike for a while. Looked great, very Paris-Dakar as it stood straight up, but not so nice on the highway. This spring picked up a Cee Bailey's. Lots of body coverage, but put my helmet right in the turbulence. If I was 6" shorter it would be perfect. The last thing I tried is cutting down the stock screen. I get clean airflow, but a lot of it. It'll be great in the warm weather

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
116 Posts
2002 Vee; Madstad Adventure 22" and Mirror Extenders; Night and Day Improvement

Figured I would chime in on my experience.

Bike originally had a Zero Gravity shield on it. Great for twisty riding, but on the highway....ouch, front air is one thing but buffeting, turbulence, above 70 on a crowded highway was very tough.

Added Madstad with adaptor plate for 2002-2003 Vee, and 24" Adventure screen. I am 6'9" and plan to eventually get a custom seat raised up and back about 2", so the 24" screen was recommended.

I got the screen set up at recommended angle and adjusted to be right in my eye line when sitting in the stock seat. On my Airhawk the top of the screen is about an inch below my eyeine.

Also have Adventuretech mirror extenders.

On an empty highway, with smooth air, at 75 mph, it is virtually smooth and silent on my helmet. Night and day; major improvement. There is a relatively constant pressure on my upper body, but not the original pummeling on my shoulders from the mirror turbulence.

On a crowded highway with a cross wind....well, it is a rougher ride, but expected on a tall, open bike, i.e. its not a cruiser with a full screen and fairing. Air was rough but didn't feel like the pounding buffeting you get on a stock Vee.

In my mind, mirror extenders are a must on this bike, get them, besides your mirrors will actually be useful and see what is behind you and not just show you your shoulders only.

The Madstad with the adaptor works on the older Vee's but there is some bounce in the whole system, but that is in issue with cowling system in general, not a big deal, but your screen will bounce on bumps in the road a little, there is really only three points holding the adaptor plate into the cowling and they are all slightly flexible points. The madstad brackets themselves add some flex to the system. You get used to it.

As for the Madstad Adventure screen......they all block wind if set them high enough, they all claim better design, and testing to prove it.....there are so many aerodynamic issues with this bike and so many variables in wind......just get a larger screen and it will help, nothing is perfect, you are riding a very open bike, in the elements, it isn't and will never be a Goldwing or a Road King with full fairing.

my two cent's, worth the investment as I couldn't go on a 200 mile trip the way it was, but now I can.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you don't have to ride with a barn door on the front of the bike, a shorter windscreen works just as well (or better :fineprint:):

Or as seen from the seat:

No buffeting, much lower wind noise. Zero cost.

Gustavo

·
Registered
74 Posts
03 Vee

Sounds like the Madstad definitely makes quieter air at the helmet level.

Has anyone tried the MRA Vario with Spoiler from Twisted Throttle?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Madstad fit issues

Went ahead and purchased Madstad with 18" screen. However when I install the adaptor plate (goes where the old WS was) it causes the bodywork behind the cowling to separate from the back of the fairing.

Anyone else have this issue? Any remedy? Looks like the plate doesn't make an exact fit.

miscOct2014 212.jpg

Sounds like the Madstad definitely makes quieter air at the helmet level.

Has anyone tried the MRA Vario with Spoiler from Twisted Throttle?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Just joining this thread, I know nothing about screens but I got a bike which came with a few. :)

My bike came with OEM screen and a couple of Cee Bailey screens in a box. One is really tall and the other is about four inches shorter. I know nothing about these obviously - I should go look at the website(!)

I just put the big one on last night for a 100 mile slab ride I am making today which I thought would be a good test. I rode it the about two freeway miles as a safety test and couldn't really tell if it helped much. Seemed wind was just coming from different places in an odd way. Since this is not even the width of the hand grips I guess it really cannot do much. I guess I better read previous messages in this thread now and get educated. Doh

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
OK read the whole thread and was still confused why the stock mount and shield couldn't do what you want until I saw this video. Sold me. Saving up for this Madstad. Now to decide on what size...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Went ahead and purchased Madstad with 18" screen. However when I install the adaptor plate (goes where the old WS was) it causes the bodywork behind the cowling to separate from the back of the fairing.

Anyone else have this issue? Any remedy? Looks like the plate doesn't make an exact fit.

I have a 2002 with the same system. You may have some actual fit issues on your cowling, I can't tell, but in general, the cowling system on the 2002/3 is sort of crap to start with, so don't expect a solid fit, I think the design is just not all that solid to start with.

Check the well nuts on the top two screws that hold the screen to the bike, often those get old and they are torn up, folks often replace them with all the wrong fitting well nuts (which have a larger apron on them...non-standard size and hard to find...order some from the dealer and keep them around).

Also check the front of the cowling for any cracks, it will effect stiffness of the whole system a lot. Replace all the push button rivets, often a few are missing and they wear and the whole cowling rides looser on the underlying frame.

And the cowling plate that lies behind the adaptor plate is only tack welded to the front part of the cowling. The adaptor plate slides between those two parts, so any play in that affixment and your adaptor plate will bounce around. You can only assess this and fix it by pulling the cowling off and looking at the inside of it. Lots of JB weld helps.

Hopes that helps. But unfortunately, even after I cleaned up, epoxied up, tightened up everything on the cowling.....it is still not what I consider a solid system. Just one of those Strom things, especially the first generation designs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. But when I removed the Madstad adapter plate I note that the "ears" (with the holes where the top two screws go into the cowling) are angled back much more than the stock screen which hardly angles back at all. If I stick the stock screen back in it fits perfectly. So I'm wondering if I've received the wrong adapter plate(?).

I have a 2002 with the same system. You may have some actual fit issues on your cowling, I can't tell, but in general, the cowling system on the 2002/3 is sort of crap to start with, so don't expect a solid fit, I think the design is just not all that solid to start with.

Check the well nuts on the top two screws that hold the screen to the bike, often those get old and they are torn up, folks often replace them with all the wrong fitting well nuts (which have a larger apron on them...non-standard size and hard to find...order some from the dealer and keep them around).

Also check the front of the cowling for any cracks, it will effect stiffness of the whole system a lot. Replace all the push button rivets, often a few are missing and they wear and the whole cowling rides looser on the underlying frame.

And the cowling plate that lies behind the adaptor plate is only tack welded to the front part of the cowling. The adaptor plate slides between those two parts, so any play in that affixment and your adaptor plate will bounce around. You can only assess this and fix it by pulling the cowling off and looking at the inside of it. Lots of JB weld helps.

Hopes that helps. But unfortunately, even after I cleaned up, epoxied up, tightened up everything on the cowling.....it is still not what I consider a solid system. Just one of those Strom things, especially the first generation designs.

·
Registered
217 Posts
OK read the whole thread and was still confused why the stock mount and shield couldn't do what you want until I saw this video. Sold me. Saving up for this Madstad. Now to decide on what size...
Im 6 1". I called Madstad and they recommended the 20". But i still thought it had too much turbulence. I exchanged it for a 22". They said I needed more overlap with the front fairing and top of shield should be chin height. It was better and good enough. Ive done a 1000 Saddlesore ride with the 22 and it was fine.

Ive also ridden without any shield and the difference was really dramatic. No shield the wind was smooth and linear. I almost prefer that to the 22" Madstad if not for the bugs and debris the shield protects you from.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've heard good things about the Madstad, but I really like my Cee Bailey set low in the front & tipped up enough that I look through it fully. The wind goes clear over my head & nothing (bugs, etc.) ever hits me except maybe the smart ones that get my shoulders.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Madstad Madness

I have had my Dl1000K2 for a Year now and done the usual , Clutch by sharealike and added charging point for sat nav, changed the mrrors etc, However my Madstad Screen and plate I have never been that happy with. The Screen does its job just fine but I have no further downward adjustment and and the fit in the upper fairing leaves a gap where the previous screen just fitted flush at the topmost fitting points. On my last 400 mile round trip I noticed that the mounting plate was vibrating and buzzing at low speed. On further examination the fairing nose has sheared across at it's thinnest part between the headlights causing the top of the screen to move. I have now put the standard screen back on to avoid stressing the plastic as much. Simply gluing it will not hold for long or enable me to put madstad back on. I would like to fit a metal brace to the Screen mounting metal plate that holds it rigid possibly disguised as some sort of headlamp/bodywork protector a bit like the Hepco and Becker h/lamp Guard
I am open to Ideas so anyone else had this and permanently solved it ? :mad1::mad1:

·
Registered
113 Posts
................................................................................................I am open to Ideas so anyone else had this and permanently solved it ? :mad1::mad1:

Hmmm, no help for you on this end but thanks for posting. I have been debating wether to drop the ~$270 for the Madstad plate/mount/windscreen for my 03.
Still don't know though. :confused: Lot o money for a maybe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You may be better off sourcing second hand brace and cowling from a K4 onwards model as that seems a much better solution and gives you screen options including Madstad brackets only on any screen apart from a k2/k3. I wish I'd thought of this before getting the Madstad.

:headbang: D'oh

·
Registered
74 Posts
K3 Madstad installation

I was able to get a suitable fit by bending the ears back more on the adapter plate (I first thought they were angled by too much) with a pair of parallel jaw pliers. I used pliers with plastic jaws so as not to damage the finish on the plate. I feel like it's going to work just fine.

Thanks for the feedback. But when I removed the Madstad adapter plate I note that the "ears" (with the holes where the top two screws go into the cowling) are angled back much more than the stock screen which hardly angles back at all. If I stick the stock screen back in it fits perfectly. So I'm wondering if I've received the wrong adapter plate(?).

41 - 60 of 142 Posts