StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
The buffeting on the 2003 I just got isn't bad - it just isn't a cheeseburger in paradise. Speaking of cheese, I have the grilled cheese mirrors off a Bandit on it and I need to take those off to see if it gets better or worse. I do recall the first ride with the stock bars being worse so I think the straighter MSR bars helped.

I just don't know if I can warrant $300 for a shield/bracket. The 04-12 headlight brackets come up on flea bay a lot for $100 and I could just cut holes in the plastic for them to poke through...but then I'm not gonna be getting the rest of the brackets and shield for less than $200 so $300 sounds fair.

I need to peruse ST and see the results of some early experimental drilling/cutting before I drop that kind of coin. The OEM shield was good enough for a couple of fairly comfortable 650 mile days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
WindStrom works on 2002/03 DL1000's

I have been using the WindStrom windshield on two DL1000's for many miles to resolve the typical buffeting and noise problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello, I am a newbie here, having just purchased a 2011 1000 V-Strom. I have read a lot about the buffetting on the bikes prior to buying this bike. So far it does not seem to bad, however I am riding it to Calgary this weekend, so we will see.
I also own a 1981 Honda CBX, that with the stock shield, was absolutely brutal with turbulence. I decided to purchase a Rifle shield for it, and it is absolutely awesome, best, quietest windshield I have ever had.
I see the make a windshield system for the VEE that allows angle adjustment, as well as being larger. Has anyone here tried this system. Thanks in advance, Ron

·
Registered
55 Posts
I received my Madstad bracket and 20" wind screen this week. I had just finished a 1000km trip through New Brunswick using the stock screen.

So far, there is a large improvement in buffeting. I took the bike up to 150km/hour and had no impact on my vision, whereas with the stock screen, my vision would blur from buffeting at about 120km/hour.

There is still wind hitting you, as these screens are designed to allow air underneath. The difference is that it is smooth clean air that doesn't rock your head all over the place.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello, I am a newbie here, having just purchased a 2011 1000 V-Strom. I have read a lot about the buffetting on the bikes prior to buying this bike. So far it does not seem to bad, however I am riding it to Calgary this weekend, so we will see.
I also own a 1981 Honda CBX, that with the stock shield, was absolutely brutal with turbulence. I decided to purchase a Rifle shield for it, and it is absolutely awesome, best, quietest windshield I have ever had.
I see the make a windshield system for the VEE that allows angle adjustment, as well as being larger. Has anyone here tried this system. Thanks in advance, Ron
Sorry guys, disregard my post, I did another search and lots came up regarding the Rifle. Cheers, ron

·
Registered
441 Posts
Pretty cool trick they did there.

My stock screen is cut down big time, but I am still getting tossed around quite a bit. But I am a rather large sail in the wind if you know what I mean.

Will this help highspeed (as in 80 mph) stability much?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
6'-3" tall 34" inseam, Suzuki gel seat, 06 DL1000. I went with the Madstad 22" ADV shield and brackets.

So far after many, many, many tries my favorite position is all they up and tilted back mildly. Pivot screw in the lower hole, brackets mounted mid way. About 80% less buffeting over 60 mph and almost none at lower speeds. I keep the same angle and drop it all the way down for a smooth blast of wind to my shoulders for hot weather.

Set high it keeps the bugs off my helmet and I can lean over the tank and look through for a fairly quiet pocket of air. If I tilt it forward and look through the shield its really smooth but, I hate looking through it. I rather have a little rough air and look over. Its about 2" below my sight line raised up and tilted back where its best for all around use.

Using the second pivot hole was best for me, less air under the shield I think. I can ride with my helmet open if I want too, much better air flow for an open shield with sun glasses. No bugs slapping you in the face or messing up the helmet. Much better than stock at least. I think the Madstad brackets help the most.

·
Registered
74 Posts
OK I am about to take the plunge on a Madstad, but I have a couple of questions specifically with the 02-03 set up.
1. is it sturdy? the way it mounts it doesn't seem like it would be.
2. what shield shape are most poeple using? looking at adv or sport sd
3. how tall of a shield vs your height?
thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
21 Posts
MadStad

Give the guys at MadStad a call and they'll suggest the right screen for you. It's a good product, although the early K2 and K3 models are a different design than the K4 and later bikes.
JimBob

·
Registered
657 Posts
Givi D255ST from Twisted Throttle, now >$100, is 24.5" high, about 8" taller than stock. Sets into the nose like the original, 2 screws.

I'm 5'4" and cut it down 3". The top edge is on a level with my smile so I can look over it to about 25" in front of my Vee. No buffeting.

Narrow coverage lower down, so I added Laminar Ears. Great coverage now.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Madstad and stock windscreen in low position. Blocks most of body blast, but I get a clean, untumbled flow over my head, every other combo had the blast hitting me somewhere on my head, making it shake at speeds above 60-70. Tried tall Givi screen, in many positons the top edge blocked my view always in some point of my view, it fluttered at high speed give me a shaking effect on my face shaking my helmet and face shield. Back to stocker now with madstad now, best combo for me, I'm 6'0.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Givi D255ST from Twisted Throttle, now >$100, is 24.5" high, about 8" taller than stock. Sets into the nose like the original, 2 screws.

I'm 5'4" and cut it down 3". The top edge is on a level with my smile so I can look over it to about 25" in front of my Vee. No buffeting.

Narrow coverage lower down, so I added Laminar Ears. Great coverage now.

Nice setup, where did you get those ears? They look like they would work quite well.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
K3 windscreen adapter plate

I just purchased a k3 and have only been able to get 100 miles in (upstate ny) buffeting is really bad! I'm 6'3 The bike already has a touring screen 22" but it just needs to go a little higher. Seems how the bike has no way to mount a adjustment bracket (madstad) I was forced to make my own adapter plate so I can next mount the adjustment bracket image.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the Cee Bailey Vented Windscreen on my '03 and it's been the best that I could find. It's been on there for 80,000+ miles so far and is pretty good.

That being said - I put a Madstad on my new Tiger Explorer and am amazed at how well it works. Based on what I've heard here, plus my experience with the Tiger, I'll be putting a Madstad on the 'Strom if I keep it.

Oh yeah - I'm about 5'8" with a 28" inseam - short rider.

21 - 40 of 142 Posts