StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the original owner of a rarely ridden '02 DL1000. The huge negative for me on this bike has been the windshield agony, horrid buffet specifically. Being an "early adopter" as the marketing types say, I did the whole Suzuki tall, Velcroed on taller and wider, Cee Baily, laminar lips, etc.

Better, but still sucked - literally.

Each spring I'd poke at this fine forum and see what, is anything was to be done. I'd even been tempted to spend the $$ to upgrade my hardware to 04 to break the vacuum hassle.

This spring whilst lurking about I spotted a reference to MadStad. Poking around their www a pic of a new system of theirs that would work on an early Vstrom. No price or BuyNow enabled.

Long story short, after lots of friendly emails (they wanted to be sure they had it right) I received this past week a MadStad system for my '02.

GAME CHANGER!!!!!:thumbup:

He uses a black aluminium plate where the stock buffet creator (windshield) would go. Mounts his clever brackets to that, new screen to those.

Unit went on without a hitch.

All buffet is gone, like the memory of a tooth ache.

I'm messing with the adjustments now, but at 6'3" his stock height will be more then enough.

If you have an early DL, there is no better mod you could do.

Thanks much to all you frequent posters on this site.

V-Strom (2002-2003) DL1000

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
That's good news - I've been riding my K3 for years with a shorty screen, which is a lot better than the original (or the Suzuki tall, or the laminar lip - I gave up after that). On a cold day (like today in Aus) it would be nice to have a bit more protection.

What screen are you using - does it come with the brackets? What sort of price were the brackets & screen?

Cheers,
Geoff

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
WOW that really looks nice. :thumbup:

It looks like they will be having another customer soon. :yesnod:

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,332 Posts
Kudos to Madstad for the help on this. I am running a modified MP Design ( they are out of business, had a unique bracket that allows some further mods ) and with quite a bit of work I have the buffeting and noise lower than it is on my RT! Looks like this design puts the screen in a similar position and has a proper base to hold everything securely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Answers

The screen is MadStad and came with it. He offers different tints. I thought I'd want a taller one, but he talked me into sticking with his stock 22". He was right.

Everything was included, adapter plate, his cool brackets, screen, etc.

Under $300 delivered.

Like I said in my original post, a game changer.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Tbat will work!

I did something very similar a few years back. I took the original madstads and modified them to a plate much like this one. I did a write up over on VSRI, did the trick for me.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Did you get the screen directly from madstad or from one of their distributors like twisted throttle? I will be ordering one monday morning,what the heck after all the money I have spent on screens the last 10 years this is a bargain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm 6'2" and the MadStad was an incredible improvement to painful ride at highway speed. I got the tall model. Couldn't be more pleased.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The screen is MadStad and came with it. He offers different tints. I thought I'd want a taller one, but he talked me into sticking with his stock 22". He was right.

Everything was included, adapter plate, his cool brackets, screen, etc.

Under $300 delivered.

Like I said in my original post, a game changer.
Yea, the MadStad is shapping up to be my first mod purchase for my bike. I understand that you will never kill all the noise but when I lean forward 3-4 inches I hit that nice air void and I want that when I sit up straight! Congrats on getting it right!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I used a tall GIVI screen on my 03 and mounted Aprilla mirrors, I have no buffeting problems.

·
Registered
414 Posts
madstad works

Just got my new madstad shield and brackets A couple weeks ago and took off the next day for 2000 mi. round trip to west virginia. I am thrilled to finally have some calm air. this thing really works. It cut out about 80% of the buffeting and I think it will get better when I fine tune it A little. wish he had made this back in 03 when I bought mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Love my MadStad System!

Thanks for the tip. I just got back from a 1000 mile plus trip after installing the MadStad system on my '03. I love this bike, but the wind buffeting at highway speeds was pure pain.
Installed the new system, set it up purely by sight and took a test ride. It is like a new bike. No buffeting, just quiet and relaxing. The only down side is that the old bottom windshield mount also supports the instrument cluster. Now I have a slight raddle, but I can live with it! Maybe some day I may tweak the angles, but then again, maybe not.

·
Registered
239 Posts
A question for those that have this set up. What is your height, inseam, seat on bike (stock, Sargent etc.) and do you look over the shield or through it? I like the tint options but don't want to be blind at night if I'm having to look through it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
174 Posts
+2 another mod on my K2 to-do list :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah, madstad is great. I have the GIVI 260t screen. When its hot, like it gets in Texas, I put the short stock screen with madstad for a cooler ride.:yesnod:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have a MadStad on my 03, just installed less than 3 weeks ago. Originally they sent me the sport screen and kindly replaced it with a 22" Adventure Tour screen and I LOVE IT! Thanks to MadStad for amazing customer service.

I am 6'1" on stock seat, inseam 33", and I look through the screen for now. I will adjust to have sight over it as soon as I get risers installed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I live for the day when I can actually look though my windscree. At 6'4" I need all the coverage I can get. My heads like a sail floatining around up in the air and elements :-

·
Registered
73 Posts
Does anyone have pictures to post of the 18" or 20" screens for the K2 and K3? I'm leaning toward the shorter one but cannot find a picture that makes it clear what size it is.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts