StromTrooper banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wind Shield

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Toto 
#1 ·
I am new to this forum but have been reading on here for the past month. I recently bought a 2011 650 and love the bike except for the wind buffeting. The bike is almost un ride able after 65 or 70 mph. I feel like I’m riding a bucking bronco. After spending time and reading through all these threads this is what I have come up with. I purchased a Madstad bracket and put that on ( wind was blowing yesterday and didn’t seem to make much difference. I adjusted it 25 different times). I also purchased a Richland fork brace and mirror extenders which I haven’t received yet. I guess my next step is to purchase an aftermarket wind shield. Since some of the threads go as far back as 06 and 07 the question that I have is, Has there been a windshield that has outperformed all others since these posts were written? This is a list windshields that people have suggested.
Not in any order:

Madstad Windshield
Cal Sci medium
Givi
Windstream
Mra Vario
Cee Bailey
Parbellum

I have already thrown a lot of money at this bike and my wife is going to kill me if I continue doing it. Any suggestions on a windscreen, or are they all about the same?
I am 6’0 tall 200 pounds
Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought the Cee Baily windshield. I am 6' 2" and 240lbs and the plus is that the windshield took away all buffeting and uses the original mounting system. The downside is that it blocks a large chunk of the wind. I bought the tallest one that was listed for my height. In retrospect, I wish I had bought one a couple of inches shorter because I catch myself looking THROUGH the windshield instead of over it. There is an inch or so of distortion at the top of the windshield where it curves and that catches me at about eye level when I am sitting in a normal riding position. Love the windshield, but just wish it was an inch or two lower.

In all honesty, I have not had it on the superslab yet behind 18 wheelers, so I can not say how much shimmy will be gotten, but leaving out tomorrow for Florida, so I will know then how it reacts to displaced air behind a semi.

Looks taller than it actually is.

#4 ·
#3 ·
Aprilia Replacement Mirrors

I am 6"5' 215 and I have the madstad and Givi windshield combo. It works great. I have put the stock windshield on now to help with the heat and the madstad does help alittle for my daily communting.
One thing I hear helps are different mirrors, I hope to get a set of the Aprilia Replacement Mirrors (AP8104921 & AP8104922) by me they cost 23.99 each so just under 50.00.

See the below thread:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/general...ilia-replacement-mirrors-big-improvement.html

#9 ·
I was also reading on here somewhere, where they said if you always park your bike facing South than you risk no damage from the sun magnifying off your screen and melting your gauges. Whether or not it’s true I have no idea, makes sense though I guess.

#10 ·
Just don't park a Givi screen facing away from the sun. It's the reflection down off the back of the concave screen that focuses the heat.

#13 ·
I am 6'2". 36" inseam
I use a Madstad bracket and a Laminar Touring Lip on the stock windshield.
I put on the Madstad bracket over a year ago and it helped.
I put on the Laminar Touring Lip this spring.
The combination of the Madstad bracket and the Laminar Lip is incredible. It really works well for me.

#15 ·
Works for me..

I found that a standard screen, with madstrad bracket set to max height and tilted almost all the way back, plus a laminar lip mounted about 1 inch higher that the top of the standard screen to be the solution for me. I'm 6' 1.5" and around 170lb. Also my seat is about 1 inch higher than standard due to some modifications to make it more comfortable (or should I just say comfortable?). I'm also thinking I might drop the raise the forks 10mm or so just to see what happens. But might not.

Hope that helps.

#16 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.