StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure whether this should go here or in "Off Topic" so if it needs to be moved feel free!

I started wondering about wind chill, especially since it's starting to get sort of cool outside. I ran across a formula on the National Weather Service web site that shows how to calculate wind chill given an air temperature and wind speed, so I put together a little PHP program on my web site to calculate it. Provide an air temperature and click the [CALCULATE] button and it will show the wind chill at 5 mph increments from 5 to 100 mph. I can go higher, but 100 seemed to be enough :D

Here's A Link to the page on my web site, and for those who might be interested Here Is The Link on the NWS web site.

Is it accurate? Beats me. The formula is not mine, I just put it on a web page!

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, that's pretty chilly! In fact it's just plain COLD!! If you think that's bad though, try entering zero for the air temp and look at what happens at interstate speeds.

I did run across a wind chill chart on the NWS site (Here's the link if anyone wants to print one out) and checked a handfull of the numbers so it does appear to agree with what they publish.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Keep in mind below -20f skin can freeze in a matter of minutes (much quicker if wet).

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Do not take a shower outside. lol. Rode all one winter in GWN. 20 below F at 30 MPH has a coolish feel to it. Have also worked outside at 40/45 below with 100 below windchill factor, no fun factor involved.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I ride to and from work every day. 16.2 miles one way. Early morning temps are brisk in low 40's and high 30's. Late afternoon, early evening, much to warm for Aerostitch winter gear. I'm looking forward to much lower temps.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the worst I've ever been in was about 1987/1988. We set record lows around here that winter of -10 with wind blowing about 10-20 mph. For some places that's just chilly, but for us it was evil.

Right now we are all over the place. Last week the high was in the low 50's and this Friday it is forecast to be 79 and Sunday the high is forecast to be 60. The low temps this week are higher than the high temps last week. Not uncommon for us to bounce around like this, but this year has had more temperature variation than most.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any time. Hope you can get some use from it. It is calibrated for 650's though so I don't know how well it will work for 1k's :D

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
SCraig, you are too funny. lol.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Getting into the 40's in Los Alamos, I find I can do my 'commute' up into town (10 miles one way) in jeans and my leather jacket with the liner and be OK.

I've seen it as low as 31 going over the Jemez in recent days. This was pre-grip warmers. I had to stop every 25 minutes or so and 'reheat' my gloves using the exhaust. Got the grip heaters on as of the other day, haven't had to stress them out much just yet ;)

I never really understood windchill. Does it actually mean it is that cold, or that it feels that cold? If I was to stand around in 32 degree weather, my hands in my gloves would start to get nippy. The same happens on the bike, perhaps a tad faster (although I have never timed it). As such, would it be smarter to go faster to get home, and spend less time in the cold, or go slower, increasing my cold exposure?

Blah, brain on overdrive tonight for no good reason.

:)

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I never really understood windchill. Does it actually mean it is that cold, or that it feels that cold? If I was to stand around in 32 degree weather, my hands in my gloves would start to get nippy. The same happens on the bike, perhaps a tad faster (although I have never timed it). As such, would it be smarter to go faster to get home, and spend less time in the cold, or go slower, increasing my cold exposure?
Wind chill is the affect that wind causes the temperature to feel like on our skin. According to the NWS web site:

1. What is windchill temperature?

A.
The windchill temperature is how cold people and animals feel when outside. Windchill is based on the rate of heat loss from exposed skin caused by wind and cold. As the wind increases, it draws heat from the body, driving down skin temperature and eventually the internal body temperature. Therefore, the wind makes it FEEL much colder. If the temperature is 0 degrees Fahrenheit and the wind is blowing at 15 mph, the windchill is -19 degrees Fahrenheit. At this windchill temperature, exposed skin can freeze in 30 minutes.

and also ...

8. Windchill factor vs. windchill temperature.

A. These terms are almost the same. The windchill factor describes what happens to a body when it is cold and windy outside. As wind increases, heat is carried away from the body at a faster rate, driving down both skin temperature (which can cause frostbite) and eventually the internal body temperature (which can kill).

It also says that winchill is only pertinent to animate objects. Water in a radiator, for example, is not affected by wind chill.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hello Cave Hamster. I've been commuting to work at Kirtland every day for the past two weeks. Attached my Hippo Hands (www.hippohands.com) last night and was once again very pleased on the way to work this morning. I bought them last winter before my first Liter Strom was rear-ended in March.
I have found that keeping the wind from blasting my hands, even though they are covered with elk skin gloves and ski gloves, really helps a lot.
Lately, in advance of a ride into the mountains of Arizona, I've been looking at electrically heated glove liners and a vest to keep my squatty body comfortable at any speed.
I've got to do something about my chin though. Dang!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Hello Cave Hamster. I've been commuting to work at Kirtland every day for the past two weeks. Attached my Hippo Hands (www.hippohands.com) last night and was once again very pleased on the way to work this morning. I bought them last winter before my first Liter Strom was rear-ended in March.
I have found that keeping the wind from blasting my hands, even though they are covered with elk skin gloves and ski gloves, really helps a lot.
Lately, in advance of a ride into the mountains of Arizona, I've been looking at electrically heated glove liners and a vest to keep my squatty body comfortable at any speed.
I'm still considering heated gloves and a vest, but friends of mine convinced me that I should try the cheaper heated grip thing first. Seems to be working out so far. The ones I put on I bought at Cycle Gear for $30, and they are just little heating elements you put under the existing grip. On the 'high' setting in free air, they hit about 300 degrees, and the low they hit about 250. Obviously this will be lower on the actual bike; so far I have found low to be pretty good (although I have to turn them off after about 20 minutes or so as it does get pretty warm). The upside is that each element draws under 1.2amps, which means they consume under 30ish watts even at full blast.

I've seen the Hippo Hands thing, but wasn't sure how it easy it might be to navigate getting my hands in and out. I saw this on a French website (linked from the headlight too high thread earlier):

http://dl650.free.fr/photos/pbsoluces/proteg-gauch.jpg

I might give that a try as it looks pretty clean, and it is typically only my fingers getting cold so far.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Balaclava ... works great. I use This One that I got from CycleGear. It makes my helmet a bit tight so I normally pull it down off my head, put my helmet on , and pull it back up over my chin.

M

·
0 Posts
I haven't used it on my bike yet, but I can say that turtle fur is great for keeping you warm. I have a neck warmer that I use when snowboarding and those things get toasty!:mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts