StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"It's the mirrors stupid!" is what I kept telling myself.

First off, I have a Madstad bracket and the STOCK windshield on (ignore signature for now).

I had the Madstad adjusted perfectly for less than 55 MPH. When I went over 55 MPH, I felt a thumping just under my chin.

I decided to remove both mirrors and went out for a ride. Other than completely missing my mirrors, it was perfect (stupid I know, but it's all for a good cause). I had absolutely no thumping up to 75 MPH (ran out of road).

Someone tell me I'm crazy, but I think the mirrors are the biggest cause for buffeting, not the stock windscreen.

Anyone have a good suggestion for mirror replacement?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just put the Richland Rick mirror extenders on my bike. HUGE difference in rear visibility, and I believe that it lessened the buffeting as well. Buy 'em, you'll love 'em.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is the first bike I have had in many years with handlebar mounted mirrors. I am thinking of experimenting with moving them to the fairing.Has anyone around here toyed with moving the mirrors to the fairing? This may have multiple benefits... and done correctly, may also look pretty good.

sunnyorlando

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is the first bike I have had in many years with handlebar mounted mirrors. I am thinking of experimenting with moving them to the fairing.Has anyone around here toyed with moving the mirrors to the fairing? This may have multiple benefits... and done correctly, may also look pretty good.

sunnyorlando
What bike do you have that has handlebar mounted mirrors?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Look at Scrivens bike,there are pics here somewhere of the mirrors he mounted on his fairing.I have toyed with the idea myself but if they are mounted out on the sides it needs some kind of support frame built on the inside of the fairing to keep it from cracking. I have Aprilia mirrors and some $10 up&outs from fleabay,got rid of 90% of my problem.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
"It's the mirrors stupid!" is what I kept telling myself.

Someone tell me I'm crazy, but I think the mirrors are the biggest cause for buffeting, not the stock windscreen.
Not crazy, just frustrated like the rest of us. The buffeting comes from a combination of design choices by Suzuki that add up to turbulence right at the rider's head.

I've ridden with the stock screen and several different aftermarket screens at various heights, I've tried the madstad, I've tried the laminar lip, and I've tried riding without the mirrors. None of them were great solutions, and I was able to induce buffeting with all of them.

The airflow over the stock windscreen is fairly smooth, as long as you're close enough to it, but Suzuki put that fairing way out front so that laminar airflow tends to become turbulent by the time it makes it back to the rider's head. The distance between the rider's head and the top of the windscreen is likely sufficient to allow the laminar flow to become disturbed. The mirrors are also likely a cause of the disturbance of the flow as they deflect air in toward the laminar flow. The shape of the fairing itself causes an upward flow of air - the reason you jacket lifts up - behind the fairing, that will disturb the laminar flow over the fairing.

Next time you're riding - stock bike - try leaning forward to bring your head two or three inches closer to the windscreen. By doing so you're moving forward of the turbulent air into the laminar flow. It's quiet and peaceful up there. I'm theorizing, and again, it may be a number of things that add up to this, that by moving forward, the disturbance caused by the mirrors no longer interferes with the laminar flow in front of the rider, the upward flow of air from under the fairing similarly is either moved because of the rider's change of position or again, it no longer intersects with the windscreen laminar flow in front of the rider, and then the simplest answer, shortening the distance to the windscreen reduces the chance that the laminar flow will become disturbed before intersecting with the rider.

Suzuki really needed to spend more time in the wind tunnel with this bike, and I'm rather disappointed to see that the design of the 2012 DL650 does not appear to have addressed the problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
buffeting

I found that the OEM handguards make the buffeting worse also. I had the Madstad with the OEM shield working fine after installing mirror extenders and Aprilia mirrors...........beautiful!!!
Then I put on the handguards and everything went to shit all over again!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, I just ordered a set of Aprilia Tuono mirrors based on everyone's comments - anything to help the buffeting. Man do I hope it helps. Btw, I have the Laminar lip already installed. Wind passes over my head fine but claps down on my ears from each side so I'm hoping the mirror change will help with this. I'll let ya'll know my findings.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just put the Richland Rick mirror extenders on my bike. HUGE difference in rear visibility, and I believe that it lessened the buffeting as well. Buy 'em, you'll love 'em.

It does reduce buffeting a lot. Fantastic visibility :thumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the Touno mirrors--good improvement. The best improvement I've found---adding the Laminar Lip to the stock shield. Much better than the Givi shield . This setup even keeps the front of the bike cleaner.

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found that the OEM handguards make the buffeting worse also. I had the Madstad with the OEM shield working fine after installing mirror extenders and Aprilia mirrors...........beautiful!!!
Then I put on the handguards and everything went to shit all over again!!
Oh great, I just purchased some. Haven't installed yet, so I may return them. :headbang:

·
Registered
722 Posts
I just put the Richland Rick mirror extenders on my bike. HUGE difference in rear visibility, and I believe that it lessened the buffeting as well.
Same. The visibility with the mirrors in the stock location was good 'nuf for me, but when ordering his fork brace I read the bit about the mirror extenders helping with buffeting and tacked them onto my order.

It really is true, moving the mirrors outboard like that helped cut down the turbulence quite a bit. The added visibility really is a nice bonus too. Cheap n' easy with a nice improvement.

Only downside is the mirrors are a little harder to get around in my tight garage now.

I have the factory windscreen with no bracket.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh great, I just purchased some. Haven't installed yet, so I may return them. :headbang:
Don't send them back yet........with the stocker shield and a Madstad you can adjust and tweak so that it isn't so bad.

I may just remove them for the summer months and reinstall in the winter.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, I just ordered a set of Aprilia Tuono mirrors based on everyone's comments - anything to help the buffeting. Man do I hope it helps. Btw, I have the Laminar lip already installed. Wind passes over my head fine but claps down on my ears from each side so I'm hoping the mirror change will help with this. I'll let ya'll know my findings.
Well, I'm sorry to say these mirrors made no improvement in buffeting for me. Another farkle purchase in the pursuit of calm air done in vain.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts