StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it my imagination or is this dl1000 drunk when it follows a tractor-trailer rig. No matter what the wind direction and even none at all, I experience severe buffeting. My son while riding behind a Strom on his st1300 noticed that it was heaving from side to side and I certainly concurred. Anyone have any remedies? I guess I'm whimpy. :( :(

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
After riding my XR 20k miles in 2 years on my commute, the V feels rock solid. Not as solid as other street bikes I have owned, but compared with the XR... well there is no comparison.

It does move like the XR does just not nearly as bad, so I am really use to riding with wind moving me all over the place. I have ridden the V on 62, probably the windiest hwy in So Cal. It feels like crap, but I don't think the bike is in any danger of loosing control. Biggest trick I learned specially on the XR is relax and let the bike float, like riding sand. The tighter your grip the worse it gets.

Good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
unstable

I have to agree with you about being behind a big truck. The bike becomes very unstable. It scared the crap out of me the first time I rode it on the highway. I have ridden alot of other bikes and none of them sway side to side like the V-strom behind a semi truck. I am used to it now and just wait until the swaying passes. I love everything else about the bike so I live with it. IF I did not like the bike I would have sold it the first day I rode it because of the swaying. My bike also sways over 100mph. I am trying different adjustments on the suspension and also tires.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have noticed this effect also. But its not just the Strom, most tall faired bikes will react in a similar manner when following a large vehicle with poor aerodynamics. A naked bike will hardly notice anything at all and low sports bikes will notice some instability, but not as severe.

The air turbulence behind a big rig is huge.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Haar, I get the same on the DL650 and the Dl 1000 [yours] I also get it on my SV 650 and really bad on the DRZ400. CMS

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Had the same problem initially with the Strom. Also was my first bike with a fairing and shield. I eventually learned the death grip on the bars made it worse and let the bike wander a little on it's own. We get along fine now for the most part.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts