StromTrooper banner

Wind and rain hand protection in colder months

3900 24
Temps are getting cooler here in Ontario
and I was thinking about ways to keep my hands warmer while riding my V Strom.
Yes, I have a set of Oxford heated grips fitted, but heated grips don't do much for your finger tips and the back of your hands. I have a pair of 1st Gear heated gloves that plug into my Tourmaster heated jacket liner, but they (heated gloves) are fiddly to hook up and therefore seldom used nowadays. Then I remembered
馃
I bought a set of Hippo Hands for $20 back in 2010 at the Paris Vintage Motorcycle Rally.
I dug them out this morning and tried fitting them on MissQue and I think I will try them out in the next couple of days as they block the wind and will keep my hands warmer and dry in rain. Yes, the fot leaves a bit to be desired, but they are a universal fitment and hopefully will do their job.
I still have access to all my controls, including the switch buttons for the heated grips

Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Gadget Electrical wiring Audio equipment

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Hood

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle

Vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Dusty
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Registered
When it's wet I wear wool gloves liners under my riding gloves.

The wool gloves make getting the riding gloves on and off real easy (even if the riding gloves are too small)

It makes my riding gloves last longer because they don't try to turn inside out when taking them off.

It works if your hands are hot & sticky too.

Registered
2016 DL1000 ABS
Handlebar muffs as described above with battery electric gloves as a backup. Thats my best solution. On one of my bikes I also use the Barkbusters soft handguards to good effect.

Administrator
I live in Ontario and still ride every day that there isn't ice or snow (or risk of) on the roads. (I was jumping through some snow drifts on Sunday. Not incredibly fun.)

I use heated gear from "Warm n Safe". My wife and I had heated gear from Tourmaster several years ago. The stuff was crap and let us both down in the worst times.

Nice thing about Warm n Safe gear is the remote controller for the heated jacket and gloves. This means that you have one connection from the battery to the jacket and if you are wearing the heated gloves one connection for each of those. No hassle.

If I had heated pants (I don't) those would plug into the Jacket and if using heated socks those would plug into the pants. I don't use heated pants so when I use my heated socks I have wiring that connects them to the jacket. Thats as close to a hassle as anything is but I only use them on rides over an hour long when it is below freezing or hour long rides when it is well below freezing (say -5 to -18掳c.) BTW I use Aerostich fleece pants over my street pants and that keep my leg nice and warm from freezing to -18掳c.

..Tom

Premium Member
I live in Ontario and still ride every day that there isn't ice or snow (or risk of) on the roads. (I was jumping through some snow drifts on Sunday. Not incredibly fun.)

I use heated gear from "Warm n Safe". My wife and I had heated gear from Tourmaster several years ago. The stuff was crap and let us both down in the worst times.

Nice thing about Warm n Safe gear is the remote controller for the heated jacket and gloves. This means that you have one connection from the battery to the jacket and if you are wearing the heated gloves one connection for each of those. No hassle.

If I had heated pants (I don't) those would plug into the Jacket and if using heated socks those would plug into the pants. I don't use heated pants so when I use my heated socks I have wiring that connects them to the jacket. Thats as close to a hassle as anything is but I only use them on rides over an hour long when it is below freezing or hour long rides when it is well below freezing (say -5 to -18掳c.) BTW I use Aerostich fleece pants over my street pants and that keep my leg nice and warm from freezing to -18掳c.

..Tom
Tom, heated pants are the bees knees! You don't know what you're missing!
I've been using a couple sets of Gerbing EXPro/Cascade Extreme pants for 15 years or so. Watertight and warm and well worth it.
As an aside, I just bought one of their new heated jackets to replace my old worn stuff. The design isn't as skookum as the previous generation, but it sure is warm. They have been out of stock for a long time but are back in stock now. I'm told the new pants will be in stock shortly. Jacket fitting seems a bit on the small side. For anyone interested, I'd go up a size from your normal.
As for Hippo Hands, they go on my bike in November and stay installed until the weather warms in the spring.

Administrator
@larolco

I have some idea with all the heated gear I have and like the idea of heated pants.

The fleece pants from Aerostich keep me warm but my main concern with heated pants is wearing them over my dress pants when commuting. I fear the heat will wrinkle the dress pants. (I pretty much always wear my street clothes under my riding gear.)

..Tom

21 - 25 of 25 Posts