StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a trip from my home in central Illinois to Bloomington Indiana to see the family for Easter. The crosswinds in Illinois were fierce! Really disconcerted me at first. Once I got used to them they just tired me out. Got me to wondering is the Wee is more prone to being pushed around because of its height. Do the cruiser guys get bashed around like us?
On a side note, you guys in Southern Indiana have some good biking! I also think 300 miles a day is my limit on the stock seat. I've done over 400 before but 300 leaves me still happy. Anyway, random thoughts.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Bigger cruisers don't get pushed around as bad, my 1600 was pretty much solid in about anything shy of a tornado. Keep in mind it also weighed around 830 LBS! My Vee isn't real bad, but high winds will move you around some, not a lot, but you'll notice it. Like you stated the tall bike will catch more air, and some have installed fork braces to help with this, I haven't----yet! Cheers--BB

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've got a picture around here my buddy took on his way to Sturgis. All the bikes are leaning the wrong way in a corner....

I think it is way more about the configuration of the bike than the weight. My ST 1100 will take a pretty good push, but the Yammie Venture Royale that was before it was rock solid in anything. The ST weighs 725# Dry! But lots of plastic....

·
not very quiet
289 Posts
Early last year I rode my 650 in a wicked gusting crosswind. Not only did the bike weave and bob, but my head and helmet did too. It shook up my inner ear somehow and I ended up pulling over, dizzy and nauseous. I layed down on the grass island at a truck stop for half an hour before riding on, barely recovered. Weird. I bought a Concours a week or so later.

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
Try riding a KLR650 in severe crosswinds. I can assure you you'll have a bit more respect for the Strom versus the KLR when it comes to crosswinds. Not that the Strom is perfect. It will still get blown around. I have found that a Scott's steering stabilizer and a fork brace make a huge difference on the Strom. Still subject to being blown around but not so violently....YMMV
Been there done that.... Thought I was going to die coming across the Navajo Reservation.

·
Registered
626 Posts
My previous bike was a Concours C-14 -- about 700#. Before that it was a Kawa Voyager -- about 800#. Both faired bikes, both much heavier than my Wee.

I expect the Wee to be moved around in a cross-wind and behind trucks more than either of the above simply because it is so much lighter. I've added the fork brace and the Scotts is in the mail, so I've done everything I can to make it manageable. If it gets too bad at the speeds I want to run, I'll just slow down a bit and enjoy the ride.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The problem with the Strom in winds is that it is tall, and what bodywork it has is located up fairly high. It's not really any worse than my old '95 Concours was, though.

My ZRX1100 was absolutely rock solid in side winds - barely move at all in response to them. Slightly heavier, much less side area, and much lower, than the Strom. The rider got pummeled by the wind, however.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I just got back from a trip from my home in central Illinois to Bloomington Indiana to see the family for Easter. The crosswinds in Illinois were fierce! Really disconcerted me at first. Once I got used to them they just tired me out. Got me to wondering is the Wee is more prone to being pushed around because of its height.
Yes, and suspension. If you think the DL650 is bad in crosswind gusts or passing trucks, try a KLR....

Do the cruiser guys get bashed around like us?
No, they have other issues to deal with, though.

A fork brace and suspension upgrades go a long way in alleviating any issues. Most sidewind complaints occur in Spring and Fall, when the air is colder and more dense.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I rode my Boulevard C50T from Alberta to southern Ontario (2300 miles) in 5 days the fall of 2008. The wind was fairly strong on the Priaries and I was doing 85 and the bike simply could not go any faster. There were stretches that I had to duck down low ont he tank to maintain speed and stability. But I never felt that I was going to be blown off the road and into the ditch.

Yes, most bikes would get blown around a bit, especially, anything that is less than say 800 lbs. I suspect the size of the windscreen has a lot to do with it as well. My mid-sized cruiser (650 lbs wet) has a large and tall windscreen so it would be expected for it to be suspectable to strong wind as in anything in excess of 40 mph from the side.

As I have just picked my Wee last week, I do not yet have any experience with strong cross with it.

EOTS

·
Registered
238 Posts
Fork Brace Bump

I have a 120 mile daily commute in Central Il. Before adding my fork brace passing semi's in a crosswind at times felt like I was going to get thrown from the Wee:yikes:. After adding the fork brace the ride has gotten much better:yesnod:. The wind will always be a concern, but the fork brace has been the best "farkle" so far:beatnik:

·
Registered
313 Posts
". Do the cruiser guys get bashed around like us "

"No, they have other issues to deal with, though"

You got that right.My last bike was a 1500 Intruder.The suspension(or lack of) used to beat the crap out of my back.The cruisers may not blow around like the V-Stroms because of the extra weight but handling that extra weight all day used to tire me out way more than an all day ride on the Strom. I installed a fork brace on the Strom and noticed improved handling in the corners and the wind.
I remember last year when i drove the Strom home for the first time.It was early spring and the roads were full of pot holes and i ended up hitting one.What a surprise.If i had been on the cruiser my teeth would have been rattled.The Strom ate it up.
So i guess the reality is that i would rather be blown around than beat up.Long live the Strom!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Early last year I rode my 650 in a wicked gusting crosswind. Not only did the bike weave and bob, but my head and helmet did too. It shook up my inner ear somehow and I ended up pulling over, dizzy and nauseous. I layed down on the grass island at a truck stop for half an hour before riding on, barely recovered. Weird. I bought a Concours a week or so later.
How do you like the Concours? I have a Wee and like it....but I can't help thinking that the Concours seems like a real nice long distance touring bike. Opinions and comparisons?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hey all! I bought a Wee about a year ago after spending the previous 10 years or so stricktly on dirt bikes. As a kid, I had many street bikes, my favorite one being an 83 Yamaha Seca 550. Even though I had an Interceptor later, I still preferred that little bike. It was just spunky and fun. The thing is....I don't remember how it was in the wind, aside from getting pushed around in cross winds.

My Wee gets pushed around, as others have said....the thing that's getting me is the wind noise on the helmet. Also, just the general buffeting thing. I've got the forkbrace and have adjusted the shield..still kind of annoying. I did a two-hundred plus miler day before yesterday and used earplugs for the first time. That helped a little. I love the Wee, and thankfully it's got about all the power I need for now, judging by the way I ride. Anymore and I'd probably scare myself.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that it's been so long since I was on road bikes, I can't remember if the Wee is any worse than any other road bike out there or even a bigger bike the the Gs1200, or the Concourse. Thoughts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Must be something wrong with me! I really enjoy windy days and the challenge of flying a bike sideways without falling over. Must be something in the Tabasco has me weirded out!!
:green_lol::confused:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Then you would have enjoyed Denver for the last 4 or 5 days

Wind gusts of 30, 40, 50 mph. Personally I find it annoying as hell whether I am riding or not. I was even getting blown around today on my 800+ lb cruiser. I'm glad I didn't have the tail bag on.

Must be something wrong with me! I really enjoy windy days and the challenge of flying a bike sideways without falling over. Must be something in the Tabasco has me weirded out!!

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Same here, although I prefer Frank's or Sriracha.

No matter what the weather, I still feel sorry for all those poor mooks stuck in cars.

Ridin' r FUN! :hurray:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts