StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to replace my footpegs on my 2020 V-Strom 650 and I want the combo adventure style that has a removable rubber insert that converts to an off-road in the rare event that I ever need to do so.

I have looked at the aftermarket versions and I do not like any of them. I owned a Super Tenere and I liked the footpegs. They are not that expensive and I trust them over aftermarket. Will they fit? On Revzilla the IMS footpegs have the same part number for the Super Tenere and the Suzuki, which makes me think they would fit. If so, do I need to buy the Yamaha springs too?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I have a Yamaha Super Tenere. If you want, I could take the footpegs off and take some measurements and photos and see if they'll fit the mounts on your Suzuki.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Yamaha Super Tenere. If you want, I could take the footpegs off and take some measurements and photos and see if they'll fit the mounts on your Suzuki.
Thank you for your very kind offer, but I went ahead and ordered a new set today (I think they were around $90 including tax and free shipping). I will find out soon enough if they fit. I also ordered the adventuretech lowering brackets.

By the way, I figured out the main reason that I do not like the stock footpegs. It is not the size of them, which is why a lot of folks don't like them. It is that that they feel like I am standing on a steel peg without any rubber. I pushed down on the rubber with my hand and it is basically just for looks. It is so soft that is serves no purpose. And it is hollow on top of that. I can push it down with my thumb with ease all the way to the steel footpeg frame. No wonder they feel like I am standing on the steel frame of the footpet, because I am.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I can push it down with my thumb with ease all the way to the steel footpeg frame. No wonder they feel like I am standing on the steel frame of the footpet, because I am.
yes they are way too soft, wonder if the hollow part can be filled with some "permaflexible" rubber, silicone or such ? to make them stiffer,
...they should only compress and expose the pegs metal teeth when standing with all of ~200lbs weight

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes they are way too soft, wonder if the hollow part can be filled with some "permaflexible" rubber, silicone or such ? to make them stiffer,
...they should only compress and expose the pegs metal teeth when standing with all of ~200lbs weight
I am sure something could be done. Personally, I would not want them to compress at all considering the metal frame of the peg is way too narrow to be standing on. If you look at the Super Tenere pegs, they are hollow too but if you were to compress them (which is not easy to do), you would be standing on wider off-road type pegs. I could live with the Zook pegs and I don't want to be "that guy" who nitpicks things, but I think I can do a little better with something else. I do not want off road pegs with no rubber because I won't be riding off road much (and only fire roads or gravel roads if I do) and I want the smoother, less vibration of rubber pegs. I almost went with Goldwing 1800 pegs but I thought they may "spoil" the adventure touring intent of the bike (and they may be a little two wide).

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I am sure something could be done. Personally, I would not want them to compress at all considering the metal frame of the peg is way too narrow to be standing on. If you look at the Super Tenere pegs, they are hollow too but if you were to compress them (which is not easy to do), you would be standing on wider off-road type pegs. I could live with the Zook pegs and I don't want to be "that guy" who nitpicks things, but I think I can do a little better with something else. I do not want off road pegs with no rubber because I won't be riding off road much (and only fire roads or gravel roads if I do) and I want the smoother, less vibration of rubber pegs. I almost went with Goldwing 1800 pegs but I thought they may "spoil" the adventure touring intent of the bike (and they may be a little two wide).
true, the whole ADV peg design is a bit "off" I am always worried when standing up at decent speed, the Footpeg support doesn't give me confidence, 200-280lbs rider bouncing on 2 square inches of machined aluminum and a 1/4" bolt, generating impacts of probably 200-400lbs when ridding rough terrains.
And those metal teeth digging into the sole of the boot, that can't be good...the darn thing should be at least 3 times the size with more foot support, and made out of stainless steel, and attached to the bike with more substantial bracket. imho

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
true, the whole ADV peg design is a bit "off" I am always worried when standing up at decent speed, the Footpeg support doesn't give me confidence, 200-280lbs rider bouncing on 2 square inches of machined aluminum and a 1/4" bolt, generating impacts of probably 200-400lbs when ridding rough terrains.
And those metal teeth digging into the sole of the boot, that can't be good...the darn thing should be at least 3 times the size with more foot support, and made out of stainless steel, and attached to the bike with more substantial bracket. imho
I agree but I am not as worried about standing up on them because I am not going to be doing much standing or off road type riding. I have a YZ250F for that. I am actually looking at the opposite direction--something with rubber for the street but with the means to do a little off-road. I trust Yamaha parts and that is why I would put those on over aftermarket.

·
Registered
491 Posts
"that the aftermarket pegs have the exact weak points that you refer to. I actually ordered aftermarket at first (SW Motech that look similar to Yamaha), but then I read a few reviews on revzilla where they snapped off the bike just as you are worried about and I luckily cancelled my order before they shipped (they have the aluminum mounts just as you describe too that look very weak)."

and these are still on the market?? I'd have the people responsible for manufacture pulling weeds in my garden for the remainder of my life. Your customer base are not Beta testers,OKAY? (if ,indeed this reported breakage is factual)

My first thought about the rubber design is it's clever. When the boot is resting on it the rubber damps vibration and when standing pushes down and the metal points prevent slipping. Am I over-thinking it? A good boot for the purpose has a hard or metal arch and so supports the weight, and allows the metal footpeg to dig in. Aluminium is worthless for off road use if you stand up to ride. JMO

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
"that the aftermarket pegs have the exact weak points that you refer to. I actually ordered aftermarket at first (SW Motech that look similar to Yamaha), but then I read a few reviews on revzilla where they snapped off the bike just as you are worried about and I luckily cancelled my order before they shipped (they have the aluminum mounts just as you describe too that look very weak)."

and these are still on the market?? I'd have the people responsible for manufacture pulling weeds in my garden for the remainder of my life. Your customer base are not Beta testers,OKAY? (if ,indeed this reported breakage is factual)

My first thought about the rubber design is it's clever. When the boot is resting on it the rubber damps vibration and when standing pushes down and the metal points prevent slipping. Am I over-thinking it? A good boot for the purpose has a hard or metal arch and so supports the weight, and allows the metal footpeg to dig in. Aluminium is worthless for off road use if you stand up to ride. JMO
Deleted reply

·
Registered
491 Posts
The reviews are on revzilla (or were a couple of days ago), and anyone with mechanical common sense can look at the design and see it is weak. The main peg part is cast, which is fine if it is done correctly, but if it is not it is prone to break versus a forged or a machined part. As someone pointed out above, the mount part is aluminum and it just looks very weak. The Yamaha pegs might also be cast, but I trust Yamaha to get it right. Yamaha has been manufacturing motorcycles for many decades, won race titles, etc. (Same for the other Japanese manufacturers). I do not trust any aftermarket without a lot of evidence that they are solid. When I really started looking at the aftermarket part, it was very obvious to me it is weak and a few of those reviews confirmed it. I used to be a precision toolmaker/machinist by the way for 11 years. I was foolish for buying them in the first place without doing more research. YMMV. I am not bashing aftermarket (a lot of it is fine).
I don't doubt your veracity, I have to put the reviews in context in fairness to all parties. For our health and safety I thank you for discussing product choices used in a kinetic environment. TM

·
Registered
491 Posts
LOL. When I see reviews on revzilla that the pegs snapped off, I think that does it for me. But you can do whatever you want with the information "in fairness to the parties". I am not trying to sway anyone one way or another. I am just passing along information of why I did not want to go with those pegs. This thread is about the Yamaha pegs fitting. The only reason I mentioned the aftermarket ones is so I would not have 10 guys telling me about aftermarket pegs, especially since those pegs look a lot like the Yamaha version at first glance.
No!, No! I did not aim that at you. I am not going to throw the messenger under the bus. It is a nod to fairness to the mfg & revzilla that this actually happened and not an erroneous report in what you only forwarded. ****** or dangerous offers should be dealt with fair and square. TM

The word above shall be "cheezy", but not to slander goats.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No!, No! I did not aim that at you. I am not going to throw the messenger under the bus. It is a nod to fairness to the mfg & revzilla that this actually happened and not an erroneous report in what you only forwarded. ** or dangerous offers should be dealt with fair and square. TM

The word above shall be "cheezy", but not to slander goats.
No problem. In hindsight I see that I went into way too much detail and way too many posts about the aftermarket stuff. I should have kept the posts on topic about the Yamaha pegs. The rest of it is not relevant for me.

I think (I get a lot of emails) I got an email that the Yamaha pegs have shipped, so I will come back and post my results when I get them and put them on the bike.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I trust Yamaha parts and that is why I would put those on over aftermarket.
I don't know, they use the average 130 lb Japanese men to test the footpegs

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I don't know, they use the average 130 lb Japanese men to test the footpegs
LOL. Test riders are not how motorcycle manufacturers design and test parts for strength and durability. Motorcycle manufacturers engineer parts to standards that include much heavier riders than 130 pounds, and they test them before any rider uses them (even their test riders). They also have very large expert engineering staffs, decades of experience and design budgets in the millions of dollars, which aftermarket companies do not have.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
New Yamaha pegs just came in. I will install them this weekend if they fit. They look like they are forged aluminum. Very nice pieces. I will put up pictures, etc.

·
Registered
124 Posts
New Yamaha pegs just came in. I will install them this weekend if they fit. They look like they are forged aluminum. Very nice pieces. I will put up pictures, etc.

I know I'm being pushy, seeing as it's only mid-day on Sunday, but any updates?? 😁

As you may be able to see, I'm interested in whether they fit. My 2002 came with offroad type pegs. I added Goldwing pegs for the rubber and because they lower the foot placement a bit. Neither was ideal in all conditions, but the Tenere ones look like it covers it all. And, as you said, in some cases, I feel like OEM parts > aftermarket. Not always; but in some cases.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts