StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided the best way to remove my front fender was to rear end an Suv at 35MPH after they pulled out in front of me. But in the process of that i ended up bending both front fork tubes. I thought "no problem, i will order a couple more from dealer" NOPE. on nationwide back order, none in country, and no eta when they will be here. So i looked for aftermarket, can not find any for 2012 glee. Found some for the Wee that are the same OD43mm and same lenth 647mm. I did notice that part numbers are differant for the two. Any advise before i give it a try?

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
The damper rods are likely different in details, but everything should at least fit, you'll be the first to find out for sure :).

Peter

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I think the axles and spacers are different but since you are replacing the whole enchilada that may not matter. I would verify the pre 2012 axle and spacers work with the 2012 wheel.

I'm basing this on eyeballing my 2013 and 2007, so I may well be wrong.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The fork legs are very different but the tubes may not be.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not changing to whole thing, Just the upper tube. Im still using the factory lower section. I did notice that the damping rods have different part numbers too. May still give it a try, race tech said i can always sent it back, Ill just be out return shipping and good fork tubes.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You might contact these folks...Frank's Maintenance and Engineering, Inc.. Here is the phone #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frank's Maintenance and Engineering, Inc.
945 Pitner Avenue
Evanston, IL 60202
For more information, please call the office at 847-475-1003

They can make just about any fork tube

·
Registered
60 Posts
You might contact these folks...Frank's Maintenance and Engineering, Inc.. /QUOTE]

Absolutely try them. I've been doing business with them for fork tubes for close to 40 years. (Holy crap, I'm old!!) First class people and I've never been disappointed with their products. I've bought fork tubes from them for everything from late 40's Harleys, mid-60's Triumphs, and several Japanese bikes as well. If anybody can make them for you, it's them.

·
38,103 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a disappointing report about Frank's work. I go past them often and have never seen anyone picketing them either.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fork legs

I have a spare set of fork legs from my 2012 Glee (I had the forks upgraded to cartridge forks). I'm not looking to sell them, but if you need dimensions, pictures, etc.. let me know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have my original fork tubes out. I have the measurement. I gave Frank's Maintenance and Engineering, Inc. a call today. They must have been busy, I got the answering machine. Ill try again tomorrow. Maybe I wont be so busy at work. Glad to hear good responses for Franks. I imagine the prices are cheaper then the factory ones i tried to order.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a hold of Frank's Maintenance and Engineering, Inc. They do not have any fork tubes for the 2012. So now I think i am going aftermarket. Has anyone tried the fork tubes from Racetech? Any other aftermarket choices for fork tubes anyone would recommend?

·
38,103 Posts
Did you ask if they can straighten and re-chrome the damaged ones?

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
DR 650 tubes fit ?, a bit long admitted, but they fit.

It's a pretty safe bet that the pre-2012 tubes will also fit ;)

Pete

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cap thread pitch

I believe that the DR650 tubes have a different thread pitch on the top than the Glee tubes. The outside diameters are the same. I don't know if the Wee tubes are threaded like the DR650 or the Glee. Shouldn't be much of a problem if you can source the caps as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts