StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to grease and check the tightness of my steering stem nut ('12 650). I read Black Lab's walk through and saw how he made his own tool/socket to properly torque the steering stem locking nut.

However I can obtain the tool below for about $5 and don't see what I wouldn't work when connected to a torque wrench. Can anyone confirm the tool below will work assuming there is clearance?

I understand the bottom nut can is done by feel, I'm worried about the proper torque of the top nut (no, not the one above the triple clamp)

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would like to grease and check the tightness of my steering stem nut ('12 650). I read Black Lab's walk through and saw how he made his own tool/socket to properly torque the steering stem locking nut.

However I can obtain the tool below for about $5 and don't see what I wouldn't work when connected to a torque wrench. Can anyone confirm the tool below will work assuming there is clearance?

I understand the bottom nut can is done by feel, I'm worried about the proper torque of the top nut (no, not the one above the triple clamp)

Cheers
No you won't obtain the proper torque. There will be the effect of a lever action over and above the torque factor. In other words you will be applying too much torque.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-calculate-torque-perpendicular-to-where-for.html

Brian

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
No, no way!

Here is a good tutorial to see what you need: Steering stem work

Make your own tool! Google about this topic, there are many threads here.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Here is a link to a torque wrench extension calculator that should work with your $5 tool.

Torque Wrench Extension

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Thank you both for the quick replies. Looks like I'll make my own tool after all :)
Make your own! Torque is not so important, just torque by hand and feel. The ring nuts are aluminum if I remember right and are easily damaged. I used a large socket and cut it out to make all 6 pins. That made it very easy to undo and then the fasten the locknut.
Looked similar to this, just not as professional.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts