StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to leave on a trip through Alaska, pavement only. Do you think this tire will last the entire trip, which I estimate at about 9,000km (5,500 miles)? It's a Heidenau K60 Scout. Tread depth about 9/32. The bike (a K3) will not be heavily loaded (just me - 170 lbs- and my gear). Thx. Peter.

·
Administrator
6,151 Posts
Yes it will as they are hard wearing BUT it's an adventure touring tyre more suited to dirt and gravel roads and will not give you the same grip, especially in the wet, as a more suitable tyre would. I'd have a more appropriate one fitted for the trip and save the Heidenau for when you go adventure touring.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it will as they are hard wearing BUT it's an adventure touring tyre more suited to dirt and gravel roads and will not give you the same grip, especially in the wet, as a more suitable tyre would. I'd have a more appropriate one fitted for the trip and save the Heidenau for when you go adventure touring.
Here's the thing: I just got the bike, and it came with these tires. A new set of tires is very costly (around here). My idea is to wear out the Hiedenau's and then replace them (after Alaska) with a set of street-oriented tires, since I seldom go off road. I just wanted to be sure these would hold up for the duration of the trip. Peter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Remind me a little of the Avon Distanzias I used to have on the supermotors, but with bigger void spacing. I would imagine, as Brockie said, that wet conditions could be fun.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
You will easily get the distance and they are very good for the trip you contemplate as they will be stable in the construction zones which can be 10s of KM long. I'd get some off pavement practice before you leave. Some gravel and some mud as that's what you will hit. Most of the construction is watered by trucks to keep the dust down and it gets gnarly.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've been running these tires for a couple of years now and yes you should be good to go. I've never had issues with them in wet or rain, but then I don't push hard under those conditions. I absolutely love them. :laugh2:

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
What I really appreciate with the Scouts is the ability to run off the end of the pavement and feel completely stable...
When I do that with my P3s the front squirms and directional stability goes.
WIth the Scouts they go where pointed and yet wear very well.

When I got my first Wee I met a rider in Vermont who got 22,000 miles from his set. I put 12,000 km on my first Wee and then flipped it and it passed safety easily.
I didn't find them slippery either but also don't push in the wet and with ABS ....hey ....that's what it does well. When I look at the squared off tire it looks like a darkside but built for motorcycles. I'm told they are a bear to change by hand.
It's noisy but not like full knobbies and earphones/earplugs quiet it down anyway.

Highly recommended and perfect for your Alaska trip OP. If you are taking a stringbased tire repair....get good tools as it's a very tough tire.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
Thanks for all the input, reminders, and advice.....much appreciated!
Beware, I assume you posted in the Vee forum that you have a Vee, not a Wee

please note that all your replies came from Wee owners

NO, on a Vee, do not count on that tire lasting the trip, 5000-7500 miles (8000-12000 km is typical for rear tire on the 1000 cc V-strom, and your tire came already used with the bike

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Heidenau Scouts are not "typical" tires. He is a light rider going solo on a very long wearing tire....the consensus stands. IMNSHO.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
Heidenau Scouts are not "typical" tires. He is a light rider going solo on a very long wearing tire....the consensus stands. IMNSHO.
nor are Mitas E07 Dakars or Metzeler Karoo Ts, there are several stiff carcass harder compound tires

that just means they wear 7500 miles on a Vee instead of 5000 miles that a softer compound would last

concensus of wee owners is apples to oranges comparison of how a rear tire will wear on a Vee

1 - 12 of 12 Posts