StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on RockyMTNATV for $92.

I know I need a 525 with 118 links so will this chain work?

EK 525SRX X-Ring Chain 525x120

Is the X chain any better than the o ring chain?

Thanks!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
All other things being equal, an X-ring has better sealing than an O-ring configuration. Replacing a chain requires a chain tool anyway. With one, it's easy to shorten a 120 link chain to a 118.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Guy,

You can't need a chain already? WTF? I told you your chain was too tight!! If so, are you doing sprockets as well?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help folks!

Hey Yak, good to hear from yas.

Nope not yet (have just over 20K km's on the bike now). It's just that I"m in my winter research/equipment purchasing mode and I'm putting together a U.S. order for pick up when I'm down there over Xmas. So, ordering chain and sprockets for both the Wee and the DR (good to have those things on hand so I'm ready). I'm sticking with the stock gearing on the Wee but going down a tooth on the DR front so it has a bit more low end torque in first gear for the dirt. Also ordering a Sargent replacement seat for the Wee, on for $341 at Amazon.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
499 Posts
That chain should fit just fine, at least I hope so because I just ordered one yesterday. I wanted to get together the $500 order so I could get the RMMC $100 bonus bucks and so I added on the EK chain.

X-Ring chains on dirt bikes are typically a little easier turning. O-ringers are more old-school, but the O-Ringer will do the job quite well. For my dirt bikes, it's X-Rings.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey there Bazooka Joe thanks for the $100 for $500 order tip, I didn't know that. I was going to get my Sargent seat from Amazon for $19 cheaper but instead I'll see if RCMATV will price match so my order is over the $500.

Cheers....

·
Registered
499 Posts
Scharfg- Glad to help out. Here is the scoop on RMMC's codes. Note that the discount does not apply to dual sport tires, BUT- you can use the bonus bucks on the next order to buy dual sport tires. (not sure how it all works with shipping to CA for you.)

Not sure how RMMC is on matching prices, but with the bonus dollars discount, you'll be $$ ahead. And, take note of their Frequent Buyer program. If you spend $1000+ in a year, they give you more bonus bucks. Also, RMMC has fantastic customer service.

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah that's been my experience with them as well good customer service, although when I asked if they had a chain to fit my Wee they said no, but then I scouted around their web site and found the 525 120 link I was looking for.

I called them yesterday and the fellow is passing on my price match request so I should hear on Monday.

Turns out they do not price match Amazon but they will match the web site store that Amazon sends you to (Powersports Superstore) so I should be in luck.

Cheers....

Ps: the Rocky MTN coupon offer expires on December 24th.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
I've got 32K mi on this chain and it looks like it will go 40. EK makes a master link that you don't have to rivet. I was uneasy about it at first, but it has held up great. You have to buy it separate. The chain came with a standard rivet type master link.

Master Link - Rivet / Pin, EK Screw links

I run an oiler (ATF) on long rides (300+mi) and use Dupont Teflon Chain-Saver otherwise. My stock chain was shot at 25K mi and I replaced it right at 30K mi.

My drive sprocket was visibly worn so I put on a cheap plain steel 15 tooth. It has worked great and barely shows wear. It is probably a little noisier than stock.

There's lots of info on the sight for changing chains and sprockets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts