StromTrooper banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Administrator
16,597 Posts
The Trooper Arena may have been hidden but the attitude of people who engage there would bleed over into general threads I believe. Someone will put up info or a vid helpfull to the users of this site. Another member will start tearing into it, bringing up stuff that is not important, looking for an argument. Some members can't help themselves and interject political putdowns and snide remarks into threads. Why are they so wound up and wanting a pissing match. The Trooper Arena. It is like putting your septic field right next to your well. I don't come here very often any more.
Nah it never bled into the other forums, and it existed here "hidden and volunteer" before the big software change, longer than perhaps you realize?

·
Administrator
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I believe at least 5 or 6 years.
I can remember moving a thread or two there when they were hijacked and the posts became political etc.

·
Vendor
4,883 Posts
Toothdocjay,

Thanks for the kind words and I agree with the basic premise. The impeachment crap got the best of me and I strayed into the arena. Once there I was confronted by a bully/troll.

My grandfather once told me how to get a hog into a pickup truck to take him to slaughter. You just stick a board in front of his face. Hogs are so aggressive that they will push against anything in front of them. All you have to do is let the hog push that board all the way into the truck. Then it's off to the slaughter house.

Apparently trolls and bullies are a lot like hogs. Stay calm, relatively polite, and on message. Then given a chance a bully /troll will eviscerate themselves.

I'll try to use my powers only for good. :)

Actually Big B, this is an example of it bleeding over into the main forum area. People discussing or worse carrying animosity for something said in the arena with them to their reactions to others outside the arena. True this thread would not exist without the password snafu, but there is plenty of subtle friction between members showing up in the main forum area between arena advisories and just those with different opinions. I experienced it last night and have seen it multiple times in the past with others. It's really hard to change the way you feel about someone just because you are in a different area of the forum. And the people that come here the most are the most effected.

Did y'all ever run a poll about the existence of the arena?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Reading these thoughtful responses to the negative impact the Arena has on the site I am frankly encouraged. There ARE many people who find verbal abuse a detriment to the primary purpose of this forum.
The Arena appears to be a cancer. And should be treated as such. For the good of the whole body.
Perform the surgery doctors...

·
Administrator
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
After the above post my next alert was to here. A post from 4 hours ago.
This member said of his impressions of what the Arena must be like: "I am frankly encouraged. There ARE many people who find verbal abuse a detriment to the primary purpose of this forum"

He argues not about the discussions, but the abusive way in which he believes people there speak to others. We know that is not true. However, it does rarely happen and that is what I wish to prevent.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts