StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't usually involve myself in this sorta stuff, but I'll chime in here.

I hang out with a group of people on the internet. We had a forum for over 13 years but it's been discontinued due to lack of use and the advent of Discord as a means to gather and communicate. For those of you who don't know, Discord is basically a Voice chat app with a "live" text chat.

Regardless, back when our forum was very active our club had a rule;

"NO Politics, NO religion, Just play the damn game"

The truth is we all gathered and associated to enjoy ourselves, to get away from the daily BS in our lives and not carry it forward into our relaxation time. It's obvious that these things do not mix well. Throw in the fact that when people get online and start arguing that it brings out the worst in our natures, and it's easy to see why that rule was so important.

I come here to read about bike related matters, not to discuss Politics or Religion. Sure we can disagree on what bike is best, what farkle is essential or not, but it virtually never gets as heated as politics or religion.

I respect peoples opinions. I don't agree with them all though. If I want to discuss Trump, or God, or why some people here belittle Canadian opinions, etc., I can find another forum for that.
I don't need it here.

Just for the record, not a fan of Trump here, OK? Sorry. You know who I do like? Rick and his company that sells some really good stuff for my bikes. He's also been really helpful to myself and many people on this forum.

Why did I bring up Rick? Because I decided to read a new thread that came up and people, including Rick, got into a very hot discussion of American politics, and I found myself thinking, "Hmmm, I never saw this side of Rick before, maybe....maybe I don't want to buy from him".

Now, that's a shame. If we were face to face and arguing politics, I know it would be more courteous, and even if we couldn't agree (and we wouldn't) we would be able to agree to disagree and carry on, but this isn't face to face, it's the internet. When arguments happen here everyone is emboldened by the relative anonymity of it, of the lack of actual physical presence and many of us act much differently than we would normally.

Rick, sorry for bringing your name up, but you were the best example I had at hand at the time. I'm not boycotting you. If I ever need parts, advice, or farkles, I check you out first. Highly recommend! I'm also in a business where it's often not a good idea to speak my mind as if I were to do so I'm likely going to offend half of my customers, so I've learned to keep my personal opinions to myself, and only share them with people I know (not necessarily agree with, but know).

Anyhow...I'm losing focus. If there is no way to hide the Trooper arena, no way to make it EASY to ignore, I'm all for removing it. Not because I don't agree with people in there, but because it's too easy to click that thread, to "just skim" it, and eventually get sucked in and start arguing and losing respect for the "other side".

There should be only one side here, buncha people who like to share bike information and stories. If I want to go bash Trump, or Dems, or Canadians, there are OTHER forums for that elsewhere. Go sign up for a couple of those and test your metal against some real trolls.

As for here....I just want to read about bikes. I don't want to end up thinking to myself " Stromtrooper forums, nah....I don't like some of the a-holes who post over there, so I'm out".

It's bad for business, it's bad for everyone. Let's stick to bikes. Remember, there are lots of other places for discussion of Politics or Religion.

·
Super Moderator
13,071 Posts
This software does not seem to have a simple way to mark a forum private. There are different access levels (ie the private moderator forums) and they require different user levels. I have suggested to Verticalscope that they implement this but until we mods have the control panel that allows we miss to change user permissions it won't work.

Regardless there hasn't been a word from Verticalscope regarding this possible solution.

..Tom
This forum now runs on software XenForo.

From XenForo's website:

Control access your way
Use XenForo's powerful permission system to control who can access certain areas and features. Create a forum that only project members can access. Prevent a troublemaker from posting in a specific forum. XenForo can be setup to fit your needs.
Once VS gets Control Panel working we (Mods) should be able to grant or revoke user permissions and make this work. That would mean that we could give access to specific forums only to specific people (or groups?) and coudl limit access to forums as needed.

VS mentioned a Control Panel was coming soon, but that was (I think) over a month ago.

..Tom

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I run a few forums, and the cost is less than 100$ per year. If need be, I can easily start a new forum and we can make it like we want, but we would not be able to call it stromtrooper.com. No advertising and I would pay for it. The entertainment value alone is worth it.

But in the end I really think it is ridiculous how we have to worry about offending others. just put a warning..."Don't click here, it might offend you and make you cry."
It's not about PC culture, or worrying about offending others, or anything like that. It's about courtesy, which I hope hasn't become an outmoded concept in this era of screaming your opinions into everyone's face whether they want to hear them or not. If you want to create a site that feels welcoming to guys who are interested in this kind of bike, one way to do the opposite of that is for a brand new member to see a thread in big bold letters "All Liberals Are Insane" right on the front page of the site. Or some other highly charged political stuff that a guy who came here to learn about a V-Strom might suddenly not feel so welcome here, especially if his outlook conflicts with what predominates on this site. Would a third generation Pakistani guy who just bought a V-Strom feel welcome here if one of the first things he sees on the "what's new" page is an anti Muslim rant?

The whole point of the Trooper Arena was for guys to be able to go there and vent their spleen about whatever non-Vstrom topic they wanted, without it spilling over into the main part of the forum. You had to deliberately go there, with the understanding that whatever bruises you incurred were your own responsibility. After all, you knew what you were getting into. For the rest of the guys who came here to discuss motorcycles, the understanding under the old forum was that you didn't have to put up with a lot of politically charged, opinionated, biased content spilling over into the main area. It worked well; no one was being censored, and those that didn't want to listen to that BS didn't have to. VerticalScope removed that option. Under the new management, only the guys who want to engage in Trooper Arena stuff get what they want; their environment hasn't changed at all. For the rest of us, that don't come here to rant about immigration, or gun control, or Red Vs Blue, we lost that option, at least initally. Now, we have a way to opt out of it, but a new guy who's just perusing this site might find himself thinking he'd wandered into a site that decidedly doesn't welcome him. Blocking the titles of inflammatory non motorcycle posts on a motorcycle forum is a courtesy, not a "hypersensitivity", in much the same way that it would be a courtesy for a follower of the American Atheists not to go to a book club meeting of elderly women and start ranting about the evils of Christianity while they're trying to talk about Louisa May Alcott.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Mods, feel free to delete this particular post. It was some sort of double post that only contained a fragment of my original message, and apparently we can't delete our own posts any more.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,185 Posts
I run a few forums, and the cost is less than 100$ per year. If need be, I can easily start a new forum and we can make it like we want, but we would not be able to call it stromtrooper.com. No advertising and I would pay for it. The entertainment value alone is worth it.

But in the end I really think it is ridiculous how we have to worry about offending others. just put a warning..."Don't click here, it might offend you and make you cry."
How are your forums doing? The $100 per year ones? How well do they handle 100,000 clicks in a few hours? Old style forums just don't keep an audience any longer. You have to have good software and good servers.

You have no idea how the Trooper Arena was started, and what "rules" were agreed to. The PROBLEM is not us, it is VS not allowing moderators the tools to do their F'n job. Which is to keep things running smoothly. This site isn't one of VS's top sites because we sit around and cuss each others views on any number of topics. It is the number one V Strom site in the world because of member input on problems, accessories, events, and so on.

BTW, the "new forum" idea has already been tried to get people away from here........Maybe the second time will go over better considering this new platform.....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Depending on the traffic, the price goes up. 100,000 clicks in a few hours no not that much, but if need be you just scale up. I am an owner of a classified add site and another connected to another hobby. Both of them I do not want the general public to know I am connected to. If we came up with a name I would be willing to try it, set up the same moderators. I am not in it for the money, this is a fun hobby I do not mind paying a bit for. If you come up with a good name. I would set it up and try. the problem with this site is the people who care do not have enough control over it to make simple changes, and the owner of the site does not understand.

Stromtrooper is a great name. The layout takes some getting used to, as it is too specific to model and years... I love the way V-Strom Riders International - Index is setup, but it is extremely quiet there.

If you would like to try, choose forum software, get a name that is available, give me a list of people that would help run the site and in less than a week consider it done. If it gets too pricey, we get advertising on the right hand side of the page, but keeping it simple.

You are correct in saying I have no idea how it started, but I do see the complaints, and it is such a simple fix if you had access. I am OK with it, I get the info I need, and most of the people are great, and nothing offends me.

·
Super Moderator
16,228 Posts
I am edging ever so close to leaving this forum for good, only to visit when I rarely need tech support. I've been here since 2005, knew and still know "as truly friends" the creator of this forum when it was 100% privately owned, but what it has become now since being owned by a big corporation........I'm not a fan. The Arena was my idea, and Spank before that was the original owners idea.....both worked well as they were 100% volunteer participation, and you never saw anything or participated unless you wanted to. We mods have been waiting patiently on the Admin panel and a solution to the Arena, hell I've asked for it to be deleted........yet it's still here. Do they care or don't really care, I honestly have no idea. I liked Spank/Arena option as a place where free speech was a bit more free, the off topic section before the Arena had many threads/posts which got reported due to breaking the rules, or things just at times naturally going in a different direction. The Arena before this software upgrade was a hidden gem IMHO, now it has become a place which is out in the open and some are not happy about it. Keep staying on VS, if they are getting member emails asking for refunds to premium memberships or losing renewals for such......well......money talks doesn't it? ;)

·
5,185 Posts
Keep staying on VS, if they are getting member emails asking for refunds to premium memberships or losing renewals for such......well......money talks doesn't it? ;)
You can bet they understand WERKS Parts LLC is not happy with what is going on! What becomes of that will only happen if others join in until they understand this current setup is not what we want.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The Arena before this software upgrade was a hidden gem IMHO, now it has become a place which is out in the open and some are not happy about it. Keep staying on VS, if they are getting member emails asking for refunds to premium memberships or losing renewals for such......well......money talks doesn't it? ;)
Possible solution:
StromPartol.com and TrooperArena.com are available.
Take Max up on his offer to put up a forum (if VS won't). Create a sticky thread on this forum that just has a single post. The message is an explanation and a link to that forum and on "that" forum have a back button to the stromtrooper forum. Close the sticky "directional" thread to new posts.

Members can rock back and forth or leave both open.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I just went to each forum that I'm interested in (which is basically everything but the Trooper Arena) and checked the "follow" box. Then I went to the "what's new" button, and clicked on the "filters" pull down menu at the upper left. I clicked the "show only followed content" box. Now all I see are the posts that relate to each subforum that I followed. It's a more labor intensive, "opt out" sort of procedure than it would be if you could just click on the forum you don't want to follow, but it does work.
I did exactly this ^^^ a couple months ago, and I have had a peaceful, "blinders on" experience here again ever since. :) Took maybe 5 minutes.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Possible solution:
StromPartol.com and TrooperArena.com are available.
Take Max up on his offer to put up a forum (if VS won't). Create a sticky thread on this forum that just has a single post. The message is an explanation and a link to that forum and on "that" forum have a back button to the stromtrooper forum. Close the sticky "directional" thread to new posts.

Members can rock back and forth or leave both open.
Could work. StromPartol.com or StromPatrol.com? Considering the main concern here and now, TrooperArena.com probably won't score many points.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Super Moderator
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks to all for your contributions.
I believe that what is important to VS is their click count. I am also sure that although it has caused much controversy for some the Trooper Arena is now more active than previously, and that creates an incentive for VS not to act.
Recently I have become less accommodating with aggressive posts or thread titles allowed in the Arena. We can edit/delete posts and threads but not (for example) change the thread color or in any way highlight or fade threads or posts.

·
Super Moderator
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Being fair, the bad thing would be you lose your post count...sigh...but seriously if there is enough interest, I can do it...just choose the forum software you like the most.
Thanks for offering your expertise Max.
I will point the invisible above to this thread in the hope that they might consider acting in the best interests of this community.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just went to each forum that I'm interested in (which is basically everything but the Trooper Arena) and checked the "follow" box. Then I went to the "what's new" button, and clicked on the "filters" pull down menu at the upper left. I clicked the "show only followed content" box. Now all I see are the posts that relate to each subforum that I followed. It's a more labor intensive, "opt out" sort of procedure than it would be if you could just click on the forum you don't want to follow, but it does work.
Well, thanks to RCinNCfor that idea.

I just did it (tedious, but not too long) and it worked. All the opinionated, nasty crap that my mother taught me not to talk about at the table is gone.

I'm glad, because I was visiting less and less here. Personally, I don't need that stuff in my life.

And yes, it colored my opinion of people here. I began not paying attention to the important bike stuff some might know, because I didn't like their politics or how they expressed themselves politically. Not good for the site, I think.

.............shu

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I can't claim the credit for that solution, Shu; someone else on here posted it, and I followed it. I can't recall who it was, maybe one of the mods.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Depending on the traffic, the price goes up. 100,000 clicks in a few hours no not that much, but if need be you just scale up. I am an owner of a classified add site and another connected to another hobby. Both of them I do not want the general public to know I am connected to. If we came up with a name I would be willing to try it, set up the same moderators. I am not in it for the money, this is a fun hobby I do not mind paying a bit for. If you come up with a good name. I would set it up and try. the problem with this site is the people who care do not have enough control over it to make simple changes, and the owner of the site does not understand.

Stromtrooper is a great name. The layout takes some getting used to, as it is too specific to model and years... I love the way V-Strom Riders International - Index is setup, but it is extremely quiet there.

If you would like to try, choose forum software, get a name that is available, give me a list of people that would help run the site and in less than a week consider it done. If it gets too pricey, we get advertising on the right hand side of the page, but keeping it simple.

You are correct in saying I have no idea how it started, but I do see the complaints, and it is such a simple fix if you had access. I am OK with it, I get the info I need, and most of the people are great, and nothing offends me.
So is there a really good reason we don't all simply migrate over to V-Strom Riders International?

As far as seeing those political posts...I only see it when I'm on Tapatalk, and I don't see any of them when I'm on the actual site on my computer. Is this what you all are referring to?

·
5,185 Posts
Vertical Scope owns VSRI too......

21 - 40 of 63 Posts