StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to find a solution for those who do not wish to see Arena threads listed in their New Posts listing.
Will someone please try this for me:

1. Go to the Trooper Arena homepage.
  2. Click on "Filters" (top LH corner)
  3. Insert in the "Show Only" "Started By" box YOUR user name.
  4. Click on "Filter".
Next go to the New page by clicking on the "New" icon (top right)
  1. Click on "Filters" (top left)
  2. Select "Followed Content", "Discussions in which you've participated", "Discussions you've Started", and "Save as Default".
  3. Click on "Filter"
I am hoping that this might mean that only Trooper Arena threads started by you will ever come up in your New Posts listing.
If this does not work delete the default filter "unread discussions".

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
HI, Not sure that works. OR _ I did it incorrectly. But the result for me was that after these were set and I click the "New" button all I see is one post. It was one started by me in 1916.
Hopefully, someone else will try your recipe.
1581595972273.png

·
Super Moderator
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for trying it Chuck. As you did not "save as default" your filter should return to normal at your next log in.
It's very strange that "discussions that you have participated in" gave no results at all - unless you were online just a few hours ago.

Thinking about this result, should anyone else wish to give it a try, please click on "unread discussions" as well as this includes all new threads and posts, but maybe unfortunately Trooper threads as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I did it but unfortunately just before that I marked as read all trooper posts, so I'll have to wait to see.
I saved unread and started by me.

Maybe someone could add to a trooper post now?

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
... and I click the "New" button all I see is one post. It was one started by me in 1916.
Wow you've been here for quite a while! :)

..Tom

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Tom, I sent you a PM yesterday. Did you get it?
As long as this is the correct place------Where are my saved subscribed threads and where can I find them to add or delete?
That was my question.

Brokie, the problem with your idea is that I would never get to see something new that I might be interested in if I didn't start, follow or participate.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I posted this in the "stromtrooper.com help desk yesterday, but I'm thinking that only vertilscope could see this:

How many completed the survey? I did and gave them very unglowing reviews!
For forum management to ignore followers is not acceptable. I realize that they are a big Canadian company to have so many not wanting to participate/follow the political/BS part of a MOTORCYCLE forum is not OK.
I'd like to be able to "not follow" that part, but they WILL NOT allow us to do that, and I have gone the other route as in picking who to follow, and that is a PITA
----------------------------------------There ya go vertiscope------------------------------------

Yeah and I do realize that you really don't give a crap!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Appreciated your effort Brockie, but doesn't work.

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
Tom, I sent you a PM yesterday. Did you get it?
As long as this is the correct place------Where are my saved subscribed threads and where can I find them to add or delete?
That was my question.

Brokie, the problem with your idea is that I would never get to see something new that I might be interested in if I didn't start, follow or participate.
Just replied a few minutes ago. :)

..Tom

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Got it Tom

I left started by me in the trooper section, but have gone back to unread in the new section.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I did the original filtering suggested and don't see any of the Arena posts in "new".

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
I just went to each forum that I'm interested in (which is basically everything but the Trooper Arena) and checked the "follow" box. Then I went to the "what's new" button, and clicked on the "filters" pull down menu at the upper left. I clicked the "show only followed content" box. Now all I see are the posts that relate to each subforum that I followed. It's a more labor intensive, "opt out" sort of procedure than it would be if you could just click on the forum you don't want to follow, but it does work.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Under the "NEW" white balloon in the upper right of the menu bar, I have one filter, "show followed content" and "Save As Default" selected. I never see the Trooper Arena (my preference) nor any new posts to that site. When I am on this site, I typically go to My Profile and select Alerts, even if the little bell is is not highlighted.Then go to New.
I may be missing out on some content,but doing a Search Community has alway brought me a plethora of content relevant to my search.
I took the survey in the popup window in the bottom right, and because I am "Internetly Challenged" in several areas, I was not sure how to answer most (any) of the questions having to do with Vertical Scope.Same survey pops up on fordescape.org I gave fives to all the Mods where I could, though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a few forums of my own, and although they run different software I am sure they work the same way. The easiest way to do this is to make the arena private...then open a new forum called who wants in to the arena... I would post there saying i want in. You would give me access to that forum and delete my post.

·
Registered
14,230 Posts
Since what part of the site posts are from is shown, there are few Trooper area posts I bother to click on. If it indicates Trooper Area, don't open the link.
I don't feel the need to go though a lot of hoops to not see something.

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
I have a few forums of my own, and although they run different software I am sure they work the same way. The easiest way to do this is to make the arena private...then open a new forum called who wants in to the arena... I would post there saying i want in. You would give me access to that forum and delete my post.
This software does not seem to have a simple way to mark a forum private. There are different access levels (ie the private moderator forums) and they require different user levels. I have suggested to Verticalscope that they implement this but until we mods have the control panel that allows we miss to change user permissions it won't work.

Regardless there hasn't been a word from Verticalscope regarding this possible solution.

..Tom

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
You know, I'm starting to wonder if a coordinated effort on the part of the members to send some sort of message to VerticalScope about their lack of response to site issues is in order. Maybe choose a day or two at random and have no one log into the site for an entire 24 hour period. I realize this site has thousands of members on paper, but how many actually click on here on a regular basis and contribute some sort of content? Maybe 50 or 100 members, tops? It's probably less than that. If site attendance drops off precipitously over a day or two, maybe that gets VerticalScope's attention, to at least listen to the moderators about the various issues that are being brought up by the members. A drop off in views means a drop off in revenue for the site owners. After all, we're the actual product being monetized by this "facebookization" of internet forums; the only tool we actually have to be heard is to cause a drop in revenue.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I run a few forums, and the cost is less than 100$ per year. If need be, I can easily start a new forum and we can make it like we want, but we would not be able to call it stromtrooper.com. No advertising and I would pay for it. The entertainment value alone is worth it.

But in the end I really think it is ridiculous how we have to worry about offending others. just put a warning..."Don't click here, it might offend you and make you cry."

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I know that the moderators are not paid, and speaking for myself, a huge thank you to you for all that you do!
It's got to be very frustrating to be a mod and helping a for profit company (and us of course) to get no response when you ask.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts