StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Strom has 1,850 miles on it (500 were just riding it home from the dealer!). I heard somewhere that if you do NOT take the bike in to a dealer for it's official break-in maintenance it invalidates the warranty.

Is this true?

I changed the oil at 800 miles (couldn't do it earlier since I rode 500 miles home) and checked all important fasteners, etc...which I'm guessing is all the dealer would do.

Thanks for confirmation or debunking of this!

Scott

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Doing your own maintenance does not void the warranty. Having receipts for things like oil filters might help if you ever do get questioned.

On further thought, has anyone here ever had a warranty claim?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just keep your receipts and document what you did (date, mileage, service performed, etc). The dealer can't deny the warranty if you or an independent shop does the service. However if something is done wrong that causes a failure, your not going to get any warranty help from Suzuki.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
My dealer pretty much refused to change out my POS ECM until after they performed the 600 mile service. So, I really had no choice in the matter. It seems even though they can really deny your warranty if you don't have it done, they can make things quite difficult for you, at least they did for me.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I was told by my dealer that the only maintenance I needed to have done by them was the 1000km (600 Mile) check. They told me that after that as long as I had receipts showing that I purchased oil, filters, etc.. I would fine doing it myself and there would be no warranty issues. I questioned the requirement to get the dealer stamps in warranty book and was told that it wasn't necessary. I suspect that this is an issue that will vary by dealership.

SS

·
Registered
32 Posts
My Strom has 1,850 miles on it (500 were just riding it home from the dealer!). I heard somewhere that if you do NOT take the bike in to a dealer for it's official break-in maintenance it invalidates the warranty.

Is this true?

I changed the oil at 800 miles (couldn't do it earlier since I rode 500 miles home) and checked all important fasteners, etc...which I'm guessing is all the dealer would do.

Thanks for confirmation or debunking of this!

Scott
Not true.

Check the laws in your state (or province or country). In California, manufacturers cannnot require you to have any regular service done at a dealer. However, a manufacturer can deny warranty claims for faulty work done by the owner or an independent shop.

Buy or download a service manual and do the work yourself - and be willing to admit when you are in over your head.

·
Registered
83 Posts
On further thought, has anyone here ever had a warranty claim?
Yes, I had the throttle bodies replaced at around 4000 miles. That was the first time it had ever been to the dealer and no questions were asked about previous periodic maintenance.

--Mike

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts
Do all preventative maint yourself, just keep good records and receipts and it is very doubtful that you would have an issue. Dealers use scare tactics just to try and make a few extra greenbacks.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I'm dealing with a problem with Suzuki and the dealer right now and the gist of it is that they are trying to deny a warranty claim for frequent, repetitive stalling because I did not have the throttle bodies synched by an authorized dealer at the 600 mile service.

I'm gonna beat them (Suzuki already caved) but it's a pain in the ass...

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I'm dealing with a problem with Suzuki and the dealer right now and the gist of it is that they are trying to deny a warranty claim for frequent, repetitive stalling because I did not have the throttle bodies synched by an authorized dealer at the 600 mile service.

I'm gonna beat them (Suzuki already caved) but it's a pain in the ass...
Are you driving a california bike?

SS

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I think the '07s are all the same. No more 49 staters....

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Not according to the 650k7 repair manual. It lists different codes for 2007 as follows: for the USA-except California E-03; for California E-33; and for Canada E-28. However, the effective frame numbers are all the same.

SS

·
Registered
82 Posts
From what I understand, the California model has a cat and the rest don't.

·
Registered
82 Posts
/QUOTE]

Looking at my invoice to see what the dealer did at my 600 miler:
  • Sunchronize Throttle Bodies
  • Change engine oil and filter
  • Grease swing arm
  • Adjust and lube drive chain
  • Adjust all cables
  • Adjust clutch
  • Replace all 4 spark plugs
  • Adjust idle
  • Clean air filter
  • Inspect timing, tire pressure, battery, suspension and lights
  • Test ride and wash bike.

The bike ran much nicer and quieter afterwards. Not being one who enjoys grease-monkeying, I would have paid twice the $183.- they charged me not to have to do it myself :)

Plus I have the extended Suzuki warranty, so you know they're going to try to find anything to weasel themselves out of having to pay for that blown engine after 3 years. :cool:

·
Registered
852 Posts
I asked this question directly to the head tech at my dealership, before I rode my K7 away. They had no issues with me doing my own maintenance work.

I have two Suzukis, and they are used to me coming by for oil filters and tires. Any dealer who wants to keep a customer coming back and buying more bikes in the future, will back you on a warranty claim, whether you did the maintenance, or they did. The exception would be if you did something really stupid while servicing your own bike.

:mrgreen:

BTW...

Neither of my bikes has ever seen the inside of a dealer's service dept, and neither bike has had a warranty claim.

·
Registered
329 Posts
warranty repairs

My K3 1K had stator failure at about 35K. Luckily the previous owner had purchased an extended warranty. My local dealer replaced it w/o a problem.
However, they advised me to remove the 100W bulbs from H/L, and to keep an eye on the battery condition and the connection at the stator/rectifier. Apparently, this particular tech has experienced a few stator failures caused by worn out batteries that caused the charging sys. to work overtime. He said that he has seen a few connections that have heat damage, presumably caused by poor batteries. My dealer treated me well.:)

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts
/QUOTE]

Looking at my invoice to see what the dealer did at my 600 miler:
  • Sunchronize Throttle Bodies
  • Change engine oil and filter
  • Grease swing arm
  • Adjust and lube drive chain
  • Adjust all cables
  • Adjust clutch
  • Replace all 4 spark plugs
  • Adjust idle
  • Clean air filter
  • Inspect timing, tire pressure, battery, suspension and lights
  • Test ride and wash bike.
The bike ran much nicer and quieter afterwards. Not being one who enjoys grease-monkeying, I would have paid twice the $183.- they charged me not to have to do it myself :)

Plus I have the extended Suzuki warranty, so you know they're going to try to find anything to weasel themselves out of having to pay for that blown engine after 3 years. :cool:

I call total and complete BS on that!!!!!:rolleyes: There is no way, and no reason why they would have done all those things. If they actually did, then they are complete buttheads for doing so. Changing plugs and greasing the swingarm would be allot of labor, and isn't required for a very long time for most riders. If you have the extended warranty.....why did you pay $183 for that 600 mile service?

I'm glad your bike ran better afterwards, but I am sceptical that they did everything they claimed to have done. Checking fasteners, adjusting clutch, brake and throttle cables, oil/filter change and doing throttle body synch I believe was done. As for the plugs and swing arm lube....I doubt it. If I'm wrong then you have a very unique dealer, that does maint that isn't necessary......and they charged you for it. My 2 cents!!!!!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I call total and complete BS on that!!!!!:rolleyes: There is no way, and no reason to have done all those things. Especially if you only paid $183 dollars!! If they actually did those things, then they are complete buttheads for doing so. Changing plugs and greasing the swingarm would be allot of labor, and isn't required for a very long time for most riders.

I'm glad your bike ran better afterwards, but I am sceptical that they did everything they claimed to have done. My 2 cents........

I have to agree. Why on earth would they change the spark plugs at 600 miles?! My guess is that greasing the swingarm means spraying it with some spray-on lube at the pivot points, nothing more.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
At least they washed it :-D

SS

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey, I'd rather have them do too much work than too little. I don't mind if a local business makes a few extra dollars off me.

Plus, I drive Porsche and there, as soon as the service manager shakes your hand when you come in the door, you can usually kiss your first $1,000.- good-bye, so $186 isn't a big shock t me ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts