StromTrooper banner

How many motorcycle accidents have you had?

• None

Votes: 76 47.2%
  • One

Votes: 37 23.0%
  • Two

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • Three

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • More than three

Votes: 20 12.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine recently wrote in an email "... we know that most riders will go down sooner or later". I disagree with him about that. But it got me to wondering which of us the numbers support. So a quick poll, if I can figure out how to do it. Let's take off-road riding out of the mix (though my one time down which was a transition from the road to a gravel parking lot would count).

·
Registered
947 Posts
I keep hearing sayings like this and have to disagree with them. 67 yo and riding since I was 16. Zero accidents, in fact zero panic stops either. I know plenty of people in the same situation as well so I declare the "those that have and those that will" declarations are pure rubbish. Maybe you have to say that after you have been down to make you feel better.:wink2:

Coops.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is something I've been considering as I grapple with the difficult decision of whether to give up street riding. More and more I am starting to feel it's time to quit pushing my luck after 30 accident-free years of riding.

Recently I have actually been losing sleep at night - I wonder if tomorrow's commute will be the day I finally get taken out by one of the distracted, aggressive, and generally careless drivers I am forced to share a congested freeway with on my way to work. I've always said I know the risks and I accept them. But I know if I had a wreck that cost me a substantial amount of my physical abilities (or worse yet, mental abilities), I wouldn't be so happy that I took that gamble.

·
Premium Member
7,022 Posts
I think that phrase, "will go down sometime" speaks to the inherent instability of a two wheeled device as opposed to a 3/4 wheeled device. Hit a patch of ice or slick pavement in a car or trike and you simply slide a bit. Hit the same spot on a bike and down you go.

Sure, careful riders can avoid most dangers but the potential is there. The more urban your riding is, the more likely any accident will involve another vehicle.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've had zero pavement accidents in about 15 years of riding, 10 of those from age 15 to 25 (when I dearly deserved several accidents but somehow avoided them). Dirt biking is a completely different story as I've lost count of the number of get-offs.

Compare that to automobile driving where I've had a t-bone (gal runs stop sign in front of me and I t-boned her station wagon), totaled a pickup running off the road on black ice (responding sheriff nearly ran into us on same ice), have been rear-ended a couple times, and an aggressive gal talking on her phone tried to cut me off but misjudged and clipped my front end.

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
I keep hearing sayings like this and have to disagree with them. 67 yo and riding since I was 16. Zero accidents, in fact zero panic stops either. I know plenty of people in the same situation as well so I declare the "those that have and those that will" declarations are pure rubbish. Maybe you have to say that after you have been down to make you feel better.:wink2:

Coops.
You must ride a lot of rural areas, correct me if my assumption is wrong? Those that commute, do track days, or tend to ride in areas of higher population, tend to have the greatest risk of an accident. Of course add in squids and the number of riders on big ass cruisers that lack good overall skills, and once agin the numbers and risks increase.

·
aka Rick in Alabama
501 Posts
Two accidents, one of which included an ambulance trip to the ER.

The cage driver was at fault both times. In the first a cager pulled in front of me from a side street. In the second I was hit from behind.

These do not include a half-dozen injury free tip overs or falls racing motocross or riding trails.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I checked 3 but they were me being young and stupid. The one was "caused" by speed. But the street sweeper went past and left a huge pile of gravel right in the apex of the turn. I ended up in the woods bike was up right, I still count that as a crash. I drove this road ten times a week. Some days there are things that come up. My father hit a deer on a Honda 90 going about 15-30 mph. It ran up from the side passed him then turned left without a signal he went right up the ........ I do believe that if you have not crashed (or something similar), You have some great skills and there is luck there. Yes luck.

·
Premium Member
4,830 Posts
There are those that have, and those that will.......if you ride enough.
Bull pucky....as long as we are talking on pavement.
I ride enough and for many years since the 60s.

The only on pavement drops were in winter on snow and ice...picked up the bike and rode on. If the weather was bad enough I sort of expected it.
I think it is very wrong to circulate the idea that an on road accident is inevitable.

There is luck of course ....riding a lot in animal turf ....I've not had close calls but what could have been had the animal done something different.
Near misses with cadgers ...sure - lots...even an ABS moment wth a cadger panic braking for a squirrel
...even the other day I was passing and another car pulled out oblivious..brakes on the KLR suck.....so does the horn.

I have dropped my bike at zero speed due to a mechanical failure but I don't count that as an accident. Just a tip over ( so common on ST1100s they have protective wings on them )
Clutch just failed at a bad moment stopped on a hill and trying to back around.
That was a fun ride home speed shifting a ST1100.

Lots of come offs off road and off pavement ...and I'd actually suggest that riding off pavement makes you a far better on pavement rider reducing accidents, ( unexpected gravel for instance )

But as the poll shows ....and there are many long term high mile riders here ....it is not inevitable and should not be circulated as being so. IMNSHO :D

·
Registered
947 Posts
Yes Big B I do ride in rural areas. But that is now. Before this I have ridden in urban areas and have used a bike as a commuter. I have no special skills and actually consider myself to be a below average rider in that department having never, ever, had any kind of lesson or training so I guess that would be a correct assessment.:smile2:

Maybe I am just lucky, who knows? But I still disagree that every rider will go down sometime. I know just too many of my vintage that have not.

Coops.

·
Registered
135 Posts
dropped bikes 3 times on my own and been over the hood of a car
I will also say that my bikes have never hit the ground when I wasn't dicking around
even the hood
all good though and still riding
but these fricken people in cars sure make it tough to look forward to a ride
I just assume every car is there to kill me
and avoid them
I have been on street bikes since 1983
best I heard was, dress for when you go down not if ya go down

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
huh ?

I don't know how to answer. What's an accident?
I tip over sometimes, but they don't count eh.
I've had a few oops f..k and lost it at slow speed and dumped the Vee beast.
I've had only one highway speed, low side, sliding get off on gravel with no real damage or injury.
I've never had a damaging or injurious crash.
In my previous life many years ago I had way too many mishaps riding an enduro style machine to count.
All in all I've likely been down 100 times on a motorcycle but never had a damaging or injurious crash.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I like to draw the line with another vehicle and someone's insurance gets involved.

But... I would be interested in the stats weighted (or grouped) by years of riding experience. My CA DMV motorcylce manual, and the rider safety course I took a few years ago, go out of their way to let you know that some huge fraction of accidents involving another vehicle are among riders within the first year of obtaining their license... something like 90%. Could look it up again I guess.

·
Registered
14,504 Posts
Diesel oil spills and DH cagers. The curse of 2 wheels.
None of those was my fault of course!
I have seen the pavement and dirt and met it head on! AAAAAHHHHHH!:surprise:

·
Premium Member
4,830 Posts
I tip over sometimes, but they don't count eh.
yup

I've had a few oops f..k and lost it at slow speed and dumped the Vee beast.
I've had only one highway speed, low side, sliding get off on gravel with no real damage or injury.
I'd tend to count those - I think the Stroms are a bit prone to low speed come off due to the design and this is where new riders have issues - grabbing a front brake on a slow turn.
But reallly they don't show up in stats tho new riders should be warned.

What I don't like is telling new riiders they will go down.

I've never had a damaging or injurious crash.
In my previous life many years ago I had way too many mishaps riding an enduro style machine to count.
All in all I've likely been down 100 times on a motorcycle but never had a damaging or injurious crash.
That's really what counts.
I came off the KLR 2 years ago at 25 kph on a front wheel wash out on green moss and the damn foot peg dug in and torqued me down on my shoulder hard enough that doc sez live with - it ain't getting better :(

I do love steroid shots :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
I think it's probability....buy enough lotto tickets and you win, drive enough miles and you loose....odds change if you are cautious or good at picking numbers(lucky). The key is understanding the risk and not taking foolish chances. YMMV since one persons normal is another's foolish. I enjoy riding in spite of the risk. I don't worry about deer in my cage, but on the bike I hope they are not in the mood to cuddle. As for the other folks on the road....they all want to kill me. Being aware of danger helps me avoid some of it. The rest is out there waiting. There has been much pleasure granted from riding as well. It's a trade off I have been willing to make. Hearing stories of people's accidents keeps me from being complacent. Often times accidents are just that...un avoidable, then other times they are avoidable and the experience shared here has been valuable. Who would have known gravel shade and wet leaves can all be like ice. Not to mention the danger of sitting at a stop light. Or the fact that some gear can melt into your skin in a crash. All that and more learned right here in stromtrooper land.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Four -

1) With my dad. On a pair of matching dual sports, at 15 years old. Dropped front wheel off pavement edge. Bike washed out upon re-enrty to road. Major rash. Terrified dad who convinced me not to tell mom so we could still ride together. Story was I crashed in the woods....she bought it.
2) Sweet little lady merged into my CB 350 and put me into a guard rail. Bike a write off. Me, managed to slide beneath the guardrail somehow, destroying a perfectly good helmet. Woke up with a couple guys in white coats looking at me in a nice clean hospital room. No lasting issues....they say.
3) On my dual-sport passing an ATV when I sort of lost the rear end and slid into the front of a well armored jeep coming the other way. Bent bike that I straightened and still have, broken ribs, limped my wounded arse home myself.
4) On a Road King when another sweet little lady pulled out of her driveway and let me hit her in her drivers door. Impacted at an angle and I managed to walk away from this one. Bike totaled. Lots of rash. Busted helmet. Bike in Avatar.
5).....Almost...... Last year had a rider (a group of 3 of us were together) killed less than 100 feet behind me. Guy ran a stop sign from a blind intersecting road and the bike broadsided the truck without touching his brakes. My angel was with me this day.

·
Premium Member
4,830 Posts
Where does this one count ....?? good choice of landing zone ??? >:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB-82DJalNc

••••••

Scott E. Bonds

your life insurance up to date???

That last one - wasn't a Burgman 650 rider was i?. Crash exactly like that - middle rider T-boned from a T intersection and killed, was reported on the Burgman site :(

••••

As for the other folks on the road....they all want to kill me. Being aware of danger helps me avoid some of it. The rest is out there waiting.
Best method to avoid avoidable serious crashes for sure

I've had a few sphincter clenchers with gravel in the twists.....being willing to use the rear brake helps. Front brake without ABS can get you in real trouble on uncertain surfaces.

Really like the linked brakes plus ABS on the CBF1000....it actually got me out of a surprise gravel situation on the triple nickel in Ohio ....which has some real gotcha corners.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts