StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to have a DL1000 shock fit with a heavier spring for 2-up riding and put it on my ABS Wee if there is room behind the ABS box on the Wee.

I remember reading that a stock Vee shock is a tight fit on the ABS Wee.

Can I get away with a one or two step heavier spring Vee Shock on an ABS Wee?

I am hoping to find out if this is likely to work before I buy a DL1000 shock.

Thanks all.

·
Administrator
17,728 Posts
I would just save up and buy a proper high performance shock, or send your current shock into a professional for a spring replacement.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The forks are different on the bikes, but I thought the rear suspention was the same.
Duck, the Wee has an ultra low budget emulsion style shock. The Vee has a conventional style modern shock, although the quality is not the best. In stock form neither shock earns many rave reviews.

I just bought a Vee shock, used of course. I won't be using the Vee shock on the bike until I get it rebuit with better valving and a stronger spring. I want to aim for the bike to ride it's best when 2-up. To me that is not worth doing to a Wee shock because of the emulsion design but a Vee shock should fit my needs when rebuilt with better components.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just polishing a turd IMHO.
Big B, yeah I know. I don't like any of the suspension options on the Wee. That has me enjoying the Wee "only" because it is inexpensive, reliable and versatile. Those are all good things but I have ridden some thrilling bikes and sucky suspension (and brakes) is a real buzzkill.

Spend big money on suspension for this bike? No, no, no... If I break open the wallet it will be to replace the Wee altogether. I daydream about a Tuono, KTM 990 SMT or a Ducati Multistrada 1100S. But right now riding my vintage Aprilia is an absolute blast so I'm good with the Wee as a light-truck-second-bike.

I expect the reworked shock to be 25 times better than the broken down Wee Shock that is in the bike now. That will make for one shiny turd :mrgreen:.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Unless you are a real big guy, just pop the 1000 shock on the bike and try it before spending $$ on a new spring.

It's actually set up for more weight difference than the 20kg in the bike weights.
i.e. The pre-2012 650 springs were woefully light, the 1000 was closer to right with an adult male on the bike.

Pete

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Is the Vee shock longer? If so, can the Wee be returned to the original height with suitable links?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The Vee shock is slightly longer. Longer links (hole centers over 140mm) will lower the seat about 2.8mm for every 1mm over 140mm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts