StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to determine if a regular $50 front wheel lift from amazon will be sufficient for a 2015 650?
By regular, I mean the kind that have two pins or fingers for each fork tube. Like the basic Venom or Pitbull lifts. I saw one post saying won’t work due to abs sensor and difference in fork length. Thanks in advance for for input!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Trying to determine if a regular $50 front wheel lift from amazon will be sufficient for a 2015 650?
By regular, I mean the kind that have two pins or fingers for each fork tube. Like the basic Venom or Pitbull lifts. I saw one post saying won’t work due to abs sensor and difference in fork length. Thanks in advance for for input!

Better to buy a headlift stand. Then you'll be able to take off the forks if need be.

You'll need a longer pin for a Strom because of the 19" wheel.

*Don't know if the one I linked would work for a Strom*

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I agree with Spec, in that the head-lift stand is a more practical and more stable way than the stand under the forks, that you are asking about. There are many cheap alternatives / methods of lifting the front wheel for either maintenance or cleaning purposes. These range from bought / DIY stands, props made from scrap from material, motor vehicle jack, a weight on / tying down the rear of the bike while on a center stand, to hoisting the front up via a strap suspended from roof beams, etc. Have you read https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2017/411706-jacking-up-new-strom.html or https://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom-service-maintenance-questions-discussions/419467-jack-placement.html? There are a few more methods discussed, which can be found via the site search facility.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Just remember you cannot lift the front of the bike with one of this style stands unless you have a rear of the bike supported. So if you don't already have a rear paddock stand you'll have to increase you budget.

I'd also suggest getting paddock stands that are quality. PitBull is a very robust brand that will not crumple, fold or bend while you work on you bike. Sure they cost more but you can find them used very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FYI - determined they work just fine

Wanted to share that - I ended up buying the $45 amazon Venom lift and it works just fine on my 2015 650XT. My main concern was that the ABS mounting point on right fork would prevent "fingers" on lift from safely holding fork. This is not an issue. Nor is minor difference in fork lengths an issue.
I understand the triple tree fork stem lift is needed for fork maintenance. However, if you're only looking for an inexpensive and safe way to remove the front wheel, the $45 venom type stand works as intended and despite obviously being constructed of inexpensive materials, I can't imagine it ever failing when properly used.

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
. PitBull is a very robust brand that will not crumple, fold or bend while you work on you bike. Sure they cost more but you can find them used very reasonably priced.
Be aware if buying a used pitbull front head stand, they changed the design in 2012, (according to the customer service rep I spoke to), in order to accomodate the adventure bikes with larger front wheels. The stand I had been using for years on my SV would not fit far back enough around the wheel to allow the pin to line up on the vstrom.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wanted to share that - I ended up buying the $45 amazon Venom lift and it works just fine on my 2015 650XT. My main concern was that the ABS mounting point on right fork would prevent "fingers" on lift from safely holding fork. This is not an issue. Nor is minor difference in fork lengths an issue.
I understand the triple tree fork stem lift is needed for fork maintenance. However, if you're only looking for an inexpensive and safe way to remove the front wheel, the $45 venom type stand works as intended and despite obviously being constructed of inexpensive materials, I can't imagine it ever failing when properly used.
Thanks for the update. I've had the exact front stand for a few months now but I have not gotten around to using it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just remember you cannot lift the front of the bike with one of this style stands unless you have a rear of the bike supported. So if you don't already have a rear paddock stand you'll have to increase you budget.

I'd also suggest getting paddock stands that are quality. PitBull is a very robust brand that will not crumple, fold or bend while you work on you bike. Sure they cost more but you can find them used very reasonably priced.
A center stand works for supporting the rear as well. Just if you have the rear wheel up on the center stand, don’t lift the front too much that it puts the rear wheel back on the ground.

If anyone is near New Haven CT, I have an extra set of Pit Bull rear and front (triple tree) stands I’ll sell.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Matt, a good point wrt the rear wheel tilt hitting the ground while on the center stand. If more clearance is required, placing a suitable blocks of wood under both the rear wheel and center stand (one per). The reason for the wooden spacer under the rear wheel as well, is to make it easier to place the bike on the center stand. Remove the wood from under the back wheel for a greater tilt / more height, to lift the front wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts