StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a 2006 DL650 and the tank is rusted out. I have an opportunity to grab a 2008 fuel tank as replacement, they look the same however the part numbers are different. I am having trouble finding out what year ranges are compatible. Anyone able to assist?

Cheers,

Adrian.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I think you will find the part number will change because the colours will change from year to year.

You could search that out by looking at the numbers starting before and after your bike.

You could search out things that don't have paint on them to compare numbers, things like the pump, the flange the pump mounts to, the fuel cap and any plastics that bolt to the tank.

I'm 99% sure it will fit, sure enough that if I were in your position I would by the tank.

Some places have different pollution controls so there are some small changes to the fuel system, shopping locally would help with that but I'm sure it is nothing that can't be overcome if needed.

This is where GW is greatly missed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! Have been having a further look and the part numbers are slightly different. The last number is the color code but the middle numbers change between the models. Between the years it is slightly different.(shown with xx)
The rest matches.

E.g.. 44100-06Gxx-ybb<- Blue

·
Registered
480 Posts
My son and I have 2006 & 2008 DL650's. I've had the tank off of both bikes and honestly if there is a difference it wasn't apparent to me. The 2006 has a slightly different fuel pump than the 2008 but that's not the tank, just the pump. The mounts for the tank to frame and plastics to tank were identical if memory serves me, but I didn't have both bikes apart at the same time. My "opinion" is that the 2008 tank will work on the 06 and if I were in the same situation as you I would proceed with purchasing the 2008 tank...subject to someone else chiming in here advising not to proceed.

Sorry, that's the best I can do.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Agreed, that the DL650 fuel pumps are different for the K4-K6 and K7-L1. The physical fuel tanks should be the same, but later models may have different tupperware to the tank mount positions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again all.

I have done a bit more comparison of part numbers across the 2 years. Seems the fuel cap is the same and the side covers also so they should line up. The lower mount seems to have a different code however when I do comparisons around different sites it seems interchangeable as they seem to state it is usable for various models. ei same year models quote either part depending on site.

I guess I will give it a few days and unless somebody out there comes back with a definitive answer I will take a punt, cross my fingers and purchase. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all,

Just thought I would post a quick update in case someone came looking for a similar answer. In short it worked!!!
I noticed some slight shape changes in the the tank but everything fit back as expected. The left side seemed a little tight(maybe this tank had had a knock) but it all worked. I did the fuel filter mod and new TPS at the same time and it has perfect ever since. All my problems solved and I am a happy boy!! :)

Thanks everybody for the assistance!

Cheers! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts