StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has experianced any overheating problems with a belly pan such as the style made by SW-Motech? It seems to me that even though there are holes cut in it, it would restrict the airflow to the oil cooler enough to cause a problem. Not to mention enclosing the header pipe in with it. I know many people have them but that doesnt mean they are not ignoring a potential problem. Has anybody with an oil temp. gauge installed, noticed much of a difference? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,237 Posts
Hmmmm....last time I checked, both Stroms were "liquid cooled", and oil cooled.;) You won't have any issues, go for it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it either.

I've never heard of a Strom ever having anything but 3 bars on the temp gage. I did manage to get it to 2 bars once on the highway at 30F in 6th gear going downhill.

Obviously I live in the North and it doesn't really get HOT here. But my Pat Walsh skid plate doesn't have ANY holes for air and I added the extra radiator guard which is a plate with small holes. It claims to not restrict airflow, but I don't understand how that could be possible. I doubt I'll ever see it get hot.

Don't get me wrong. I actually like the Pat Walsh stuff a lot. I really like the highway bars and the fact it is a complete solution. I'm just pointing out that airflow doesn't seem to be an issue. Go ahead and pick a skidplate that looks rugged enough for what you intend to do to it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've never heard of a Strom ever having anything but 3 bars on the temp gage. I did manage to get it to 2 bars once on the highway at 30F in 6th gear going downhill.
That's because you have a 650 - the 1000 usually rides at 2 bars, and goes up to 3 bars when you get stuck in traffic. I understand the 650 stays at 3 bars in regular use.

I have the SW-Moto skid plate, and my 1000 still rides at 2 bars, but when it goes up to 3 bars in traffic, it does take longer for the temp to drop back to 2 bars once you get moving. I don't think this is a problem, since it's not getting hotter than normal, it just stays there a little longer.

Take care,
Bob S.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Belly Pan

I installed one on my bike about 10K ago and it's one of the best mods I ever did! You may want to check the alignment for the oil drain plug and make or enlarge a hole before installation. Just my two cents...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts