StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have a 640 in my St1100 now for a few years, custom made for my weight, made a great improvement to the bike, the 641 would be even better, though once I set the sag and rebound I never messed with it again, most of my riding is solo.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Really happy with the 641 on my DL 650. It's lasted 2 DL's now with a couple of rebuilds. Put on the original at 20,000k's or so, sold at 120,000. The second is around 110,000 now. The last rebuild was a bit overdue at 140,000k's on the shock and it was still better than the stock shock I put on when I was taking it back to be serviced.

·
Registered
310 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really happy with the 641 on my DL 650. It's lasted 2 DL's now with a couple of rebuilds. Put on the original at 20,000k's or so, sold at 120,000. The second is around 110,000 now. The last rebuild was a bit overdue at 140,000k's on the shock and it was still better than the stock shock I put on when I was taking it back to be serviced.
Good feedback thanks mate. Always used Ohlins in the past but they don't do one for the new 1000.
The wilbers seems like a good option with the advantage of being set up from new with valving etc to suit my fat arse weight!
Who do you get to service it for you?
And did you do the fork springs as well?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes I have had a 641 on my 14 v2 for around 8mths. It was allegedly built to my personal specs i. enjoy weight etc. It is good but can be a little bit firm over the sharp hits. I have the high speed compression backed out. In general it performs very well.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
What about Penske? Anyone install a Penske? I am on the fence thinking on a Penske 8983 or even a 8987 ... anyone care to give some input or review I appreciate it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I've pulled the trigger on the Wilbers 641 with the hydraulic spring preload adjuster as well.
I'm of course getting the front done as well with Wilbers springs & re valving.
I'll let you all know some feedback when I have some klms on them.
Using Suspensions R Us in Seaford, Victoria, Australia & they've been great to deal with so far!

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Good feedback thanks mate. Always used Ohlins in the past but they don't do one for the new 1000.
The wilbers seems like a good option with the advantage of being set up from new with valving etc to suit my fat arse weight!
Who do you get to service it for you?
And did you do the fork springs as well?
Suspension improvements Springwood. He did the front at the same time, next service we got it right. The valving was a lot softer than he thought would be needed, but it's superb on washboards which is about the worst surface I ride at speed.

The DL 1000 front is vastly different from the 650, it is tunable but I have zero experience there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts