StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went into the dealership to checkout the new Honda NC700X. Wife sat on bike and said it wasn't comfortable. She looks two bikes over and says she likes that one. I get on and she gets behind me. Tells me this is the bike I'm buying. I told her i wanted to check out a 650GS and Versys. I road out of dealership with my new Wee-Strom Adventure. Glad I took the wife or I would still be looking at bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
438 Posts
I went into the dealership to checkout the new Honda NC700X. Wife sat on bike and said it wasn't comfortable. She looks two bikes over and says she likes that one. I get on and she gets behind me. Tells me this is the bike I'm buying. I told her i wanted to check out a 650GS and Versys. I road out of dealership with my new Wee-Strom Adventure. Glad I took the wife or I would still be looking at bikes.
Your wife has good taste in bikes. 45 vs 65 hp. Need I say more. The 650 gs would have been interesting, but who wants the beamer cost of ownership, let alone out the door.

congrats

·
Registered
541 Posts
The rear seat was a major consideration when I bought mine. Anyone who rides in the back would have no problem choosing between the bikes you mentioned and the DL650. Especially the versys. its very poor for a passenger. If your going to ride 2 up always take your passenger with you when choosing your machine. Congratulations. now the hard part becomes getting to cruise solo. I am beginning to have that problem. If I grab my helmet my wife beats me to the door with hers in hand. It reminds me of the dog begging to go bye bye. (She just read this over my shoulder and smacked me in the head)

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
The rear seat was a major consideration when I bought mine. Anyone who rides in the back would have no problem choosing between the bikes you mentioned and the DL650. Especially the versys. its very poor for a passenger. If your going to ride 2 up always take your passenger with you when choosing your machine. Congratulations. now the hard part becomes getting to cruise solo. I am beginning to have that problem. If I grab my helmet my wife beats me to the door with hers in hand. It reminds me of the dog begging to go bye bye. (She just read this over my shoulder and smacked me in the head)
Ah...then she can read this too. The solution is for her to get her own! :yesnod:

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Similar situation happened with me. My wife saw how much I wanted the 2012 Wee, so she made me call around to dealerships to see who had one. Then, she drive me the 80 miles to go pick up the only '12 Wee within 200 miles and followed me home, all the while carting around our 4-month-old. I would also still be looking if she hadn't pushed me over the edge. :D I married the right one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
72 Posts
All in the same boat !

OK, we don't *require* spousal approval, but if we want to live happy lives with our bikes, then the wife kind of has to buy-in to the concept. I also took my wife out on every bike I was seriously considering, and she approved 2012 V-Strom hands down. That way I can tell everyone that I got the bike that she wanted!! Win-win!!
Note: I was a passenger for a few hours on a GS1200 in Corsica (yes, please go there for your next ride if possible!!), and I was stiff and sore. The V-Strom is cush and luxurious compared to the standard seat on the Beemer.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ah...then she can read this too. The solution is for her to get her own! :yesnod:

You sir are a wise man. My wife can't reach the floor when she sits on my V. I did however give her my old Kawasaki Vulcan, and we can ride together. She will go 2up, but likes to ride her own more.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
16 Posts
Called my wife from the shop to ask if she preferred black, white or orange. She said orange which surprised me. I had looked at all the bikes in my parking garage before going to the shop - all silver or black (including my '08 vstrom) except one red honda. Should be picking up my new orange vstrom this saturday!

·
Registered
86 Posts
you have a very wise woman there. my wife rides pillion a lot & the times ive bought a bike thinking it,ll be fine for her on the back and had trouble.. the versys is the worst bike she has ever been on the back of, she hated that bike and refused to go on it. said she was sat up high being hit by all the wind & got bad vibration through the rear pegs. the v stom on the other hand she has nothing but praise for . very comfortable , no wind , no vibration and good seat. the problem with new bikes is not many provide a decent seat for the pillion & leave them perched up high with there knees up around there ears. ok for a short trip to the shop but any longer and your going to get some real ear ache off her ..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, without my wife I would still be checking out different options...

We have tested quite a number of bikes: F650, NC700x, DL650, Tiger 800.
On NC700x she said, she felt every bump... that was the end of it, Tiger 800 was a definite winner, but the used 2012 wee beat them all with the price. We just went to check it out and ended up with something like "(she) ok, let's pay the advance and can we please get something to eat".

The best is that 2-3 years ago she hated motorcycles and I didn't really care about them... when all this went, well... expensive ;) ???

·
Registered
72 Posts
Orange is nice...

...She said orange which surprised me....
If hadn't gotten the white one, it would have been orange. For sure. Or black, those are nice too! :bom_laugh4:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Called my wife from the shop to ask if she preferred black, white or orange. She said orange which surprised me. I had looked at all the bikes in my parking garage before going to the shop - all silver or black (including my '08 vstrom) except one red honda. Should be picking up my new orange vstrom this saturday!
Good decision
I drove the NC700x at a recent Honda demo day. Does not come close to the power and characteristics of the Wee. I hated the digital tach, the seat was much smaller (and quite slippery). Strange torque curve with a very low redline, very little engine braking etc. Feels like a much smaller bike.

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
My wife surprised me with my 2006 Wee, for our wedding anniversary - how cool is that? She had a buddy of mine drive it home and hide it in my garage while I was "conveniently" out completing an errand list my wife had given me...

Needless to say, I was a bit shocked, when I went into the garage to get the lawnmower.....best bike I ever had.

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
My wife, like yours suggested I buy several of the bikes we've had. It dawned on her one day it was her fault. Shocked she was.
After I got her a new car, she didn't mumble too much about getting the Wee.
Doncha love a good woman?

·
Registered
541 Posts

If you ever rode as a passenger in her car you would never suggest for her to drive a motorcycle
:thumbdown:
Fortunately she isnt here to read this post or I would probably need an ambulance
:)
Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
You sir are a wise man. My wife can't reach the floor when she sits on my V. I did however give her my old Kawasaki Vulcan, and we can ride together. She will go 2up, but likes to ride her own more.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
Thank you! I am so wise, 'cause I'm a woman...not a man. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
86 Posts
i also had a test ride on the honda nc700x and found that i could feel every bump in the road [ and here in the uk the roads are in a shocking condition ] no matter how i adjusted the suspension .. i also had a lot of vibration through the bars & pegs ..yes it may be a honda but i still this its made down to a price ....

·
Registered
8 Posts
i also had a test ride on the honda nc700x and found that i could feel every bump in the road [ and here in the uk the roads are in a shocking condition ] no matter how i adjusted the suspension .. i also had a lot of vibration through the bars & pegs ..yes it may be a honda but i still this its made down to a price ....
It was not me who felt the bumps, it was my wife... she was definitely not impressed by NC700X. I was riding a motorcycle and happy about it ;) (I was in the market for my first bike). Honda cut me off twice or three times during the test and believe me, I do not have the skills, so I really am a very calm rider ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts