StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The company that I work for is looking to place a person in/near Des Moines for three years.

What are the reasons that I would want to move to Des Moines?

What about reasons to stay away from Des Moines?

·
Registered
505 Posts
The company that I work for is looking to place a person in/near Des Moines for three years.

What are the reasons that I would want to move to Des Moines?

What about reasons to stay away from Des Moines?
Guess it depends on your employment. Would you have to move to keep it?

As far as riding, the mid-state Iowa area is pretty flat with lots of wind. However, NE Iowa, SE Wisconsin area is really nice.

I used to work there several years ago, like 25, so I don't know how things have changed over the years but I know there are some troopers over that way...:beatnik:

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
No mountains to block your view.

·
Super Moderator
4,540 Posts
Read Bill Bryson Bill Bryson - Wikiquote

I come from Des Moines. Somebody had to.
Opening line.
When you come from Des Moines you either accept the fact without question and settle down with a girl called Bobbie and get a job in the Firestone factory and live there forever and ever or you spend your adolescence moaning at length about what a dump it is and how you can't wait to get out and then you settle down with a local girl named Bobbie and get a job in the Firestone factory and live there forever and ever.
My father liked Iowa. He lived his whole life in the state, and is even now working his way through eternity there, in Glendale Cemetery in Des Moines.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The chapter on Iowa from The Lost Continent is brilliant! I was born in Iowa, and I rode through Des Moines this week. It's not the best motorcycle country, but as noted, you can always head to NE Iowa and SW Wisconsin for some great roads. In any other direction you're 800 miles from anything.

As a town, it's just like every other mid sized town in the Midwest. But we all have our price.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
What about after the three years? Back to the tri-cities or ??? (Get an employment contract) Keep your house and rent it out or ???

·
Registered
105 Posts
Being quite familiar with Tri-Cities and having lived few years in central Iowa.... both have similar hot summers, cold winters, plenty of sunshine. Des Moines probably gets more of its precip from summer thunderstorms than you get in Tri-Cities. Iowa is salt-of-the-earth good folks. Pretty homogenous culturally and ethnically, but mid-america values. People still attent church there! I felt like I'd stepped back a couple decades moving there from Seattle. Good schools. Good sports programs for kids, good college sports programs if you are a fan.
One of my favorites was that there was plenty of good bird hunting and deer hunting throughout the state, and half the people in Des Moines grew up on a family farm in Iowa and will give you introductions to help you find places to hunt (not of much interest if you are not a hunter.) Something like 5 times more hogs in Iowa than people, and it is the land of a million corn fields, though not as flat of terrain as people think. Much of Iowa is rolling "hills".
You can visit lots of areas and cities on weekends: Minneapolis-St.Paul, Chicago, Kansas City, St Louis.
After all that, I assume you mean Des Moines, IA, not Des Moines, WA!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Henery,

Positives -

Iowa State Fair, pork chops, butter cow and CORN as far as you can see.
You can easily see the curvature of the earth. It snowes enough you can watch your dog leave for three days.

More importantly, John Wayne was born just few minutes from Des Moines.

Hoodoo days in Neiolla, Bridges of Madison County, Dayton County Rodeo and the zoo.

Good luck!

·
Registered
360 Posts
My second wife was from Urbandale and we went back there several times for family reasons. I was able to win the lottery and ride in RAGBRAI one year. Iowa sure seems like bicycling heaven, compared to all the hills here in the Seattle area. I was struck by how you could buy a house for what seemed to be petty cash, compared to Seattle prices. Nice friendly people, too.

·
Super Moderator
4,540 Posts
Iowa sure seems like bicycling heaven, compared to all the hills here in the Seattle area. I was struck by how you could buy a house for what seemed to be petty cash, compared to Seattle prices. Nice friendly people, too.
Crikey, Snohomish ain't too bad for hills - maybe on a pushbike - and housing is really cheap there compared to here. I actually thought of buying there and living there in your summer. But then I realised summer there is like winter here! (and winter there is nothing anything I've ever experienced!)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Crikey, Snohomish ain't too bad for hills - maybe on a pushbike - and housing is really cheap there compared to here. I actually thought of buying there and living there in your summer. But then I realised summer there is like winter here! (and winter there is nothing anything I've ever experienced!)
You can tell it is summer in Seattle when the rain switches from 45 degrees (7 C) to 55 degrees (13 C).

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you're into politics, living in Iowa during a presidential campaign is quite the experience due to our early caucus. Everybody and his/her brother/sister start campaigning in Iowa months before any voting. It starts picking up the year before the election.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I was struck by how you could buy a house for what seemed to be petty cash, compared to Seattle prices.
Yeah, but you really get bit in the butt when you move back to another high priced location.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, we evaded the recession for the most part in S. Central Washington when it hit most areas. Now, the governments inability to approve a budget, etc. is catching up with us.
There is an opportunity with the company that I work for, that is a three year commitment in Des Moines; could go longer, but my commitment would be three.
I would likely sell my place here. It has acreage and would likely suffer gravely at the hands of renters...

Will I move back to the Tri-Cities, WA area? No one knows.

The research that I've done doesn't make Des Moines seem horrible, though it has shortcomings like most places.

I grew up all over the USA. Greatest amount of time in the desert SW. Then to Yakima, WA in '82; joined the USAF and settled down for several years in the Spokane, WA area; then to the Tri-Cities. My wife is from Yakima.

The lady says that she'll go wherever, as long as she's with me.

I'd prefer a bit of a commute to live on a couple of acres than to live right in town. But perhaps I should buy a little house in town for the short term and see how things go. It's just the lady and me, no kids at home anymore.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've lived in Iowa for 10 years now. Moved here for college from the chicago burbs and never moved back. really good people in this state and more to do then one would think. If you like the outdoors (hunting, fishing, etc.) you surely wont ever be bored.

As far as riding....

central Iowa is tough, unless you like long straight trips on slab. however, you can go in almost any direction and in a couple hours find very good riding. I live in eastern Iowa now so we head up to NE Iowa and there are some great roads. We also ride down into MO quite often where there is some very good riding (family has a place in the ozarks). The entire southern tier of Iowa (bottom two rows of counties) is also pretty good riding. Iowa has a lot more contour than most think.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you move to des moines, find a place in west des moines, johnston, waukee, urbandale, or clive. these are the far better suburbs. avoid the east side like the plague

If you want a small town feel in a decent size town, check out Ames, IA. 25 minute commute to des moines. I lived there for 7 years. Had my wife and my job situations not taken us east, we would have loved to stay there.

Cyclones > Hawkeyes

1 - 20 of 31 Posts