StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is a lot you can do with a Vstrom both on and off road. Personally I would not consider it for much of off-road if you are going to be in deep sand, whoop-de-do, or heaven forbid deep sandy whoops. Will it do them? Yeah but you sure won’t be enjoying life.

Some guy entered a Strom in the 2016 Mexican 1000. You can see him twice in the NORRA video advertising for the 2017 event. Looked good off the start and then there’s a shot of him on a not to rocky uphill being pushed by three spectators and then dumping it. I think he gave up at the end of day two.

Last year a team ran a Sportster and actually finished. Great bunch of guys and they helped me on day two when my nav column broke off in the middle of nowhere. (KTM) But talk about crashing and just dumping it a whole lot. Tough as hell to have to pick that monster up. Once again, it can be done but not my idea of fun.

I realize the M1K is a race/rally but the terrain is akin to what you would find in many areas you might go adventure riding.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I rolled over 10,000 miles on my D'elle 650 in 17 months of ownership and I just got to the wearbars on the OEM Battlax rear tire. I couldn't be happier with this motorcycle. If I'd won some contest where the grand prize was a trip to Hamamatsu to design my own motorcycle, this would have bee the result. I came from a Kawasaki ZX11, and the Versys, and Indian Scout were also on my shortlist. Emotionally, I wanted a V-Twin, so after having ridden and maintained Kawis for over 35 years, I narrowed it down to the Scout and the V-strom. My son had an 800cc Marauder for a first bike, and I got to know Suzuki's approach to design and execution. He went bigger and bought a Harley Dyna Superglide with radial sweeper open pipes. It's a nice bike, otherwise. The Scout nearly got me, but I wanted to ride some of the gravel township and forest roads near me and decided on the 650 V-Strom, as I could ride standing up on it and it made good power. Two things I wish it had come with is a compass, and hydraulic clutch.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Maybe change the title then

Why V-Strom is Best Adventure Motorcycle..

No caveats in the title...

is it for price
for reliability
for capability
fuel mileage....

Put a "for you: on it and it resolves the challenge - then you get people stating why they chose the Vstrom .

There would be a lot of people jumping on

Why BMW GS series are the Best Adventure Motorcycles..

Why KLR650 is the Best Adventure Motorcycles.

etc etc

·
Registered
254 Posts
some forget obviously here - it's not the bike, it's the rider...

go to gym more, be a man, stop whining it's too heavy, too tall, too ugly,
just ride damn thing LOL

·
Vendor
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Macdoc,

Your right. That title is very misleading. For people that respond without reading the thread t is a natural trap. It was just all that fit.

I would have loved the title "Why is the V-Strom the Best Adventure Bike for You."

But it just doesn't fit. I assumed most people would read the first post and not just the title. My error. Sorry for any embarrassment.

·
Super Moderator
16,859 Posts
I changed the thread title, upon the assumption of that was what the title was originally meant/intended to be.......carry on troopers.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'll go - The V-Strom (big'un or little'un ) is the best ADV bike "FOR ME" because ....The 650 and the 1000 has taken me cross country many times. The 1000 cruises effortlessly on an interstate at 75 to 80 mph. I have been down bunches of dirt and gravel roads with no problems. Yes , Slickrock in Moab, Utah. Nothing too tough , but still 100 % ADVENTURE quality . I have loved the looks since my first 2002 DL1000.
And , it's soooo easy to get a DL1000 (or my much heavier VFR1200X ) in and out of the garage.
Who's next ? Time to brag.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My video would have to include a comparison to my old Volvo wagon, the Swiss Army Knife of cars! I think with the Volvo, my 650 Strom, and the old Honda CT-90, I'd have most travel tasks covered in style. Oh,and a truck of course. And a bicycle. And...

Seriously, I've been allowed to demo ride several really nice bikes and I'm always glad to be riding the V-Strom home at the end of the day. Best, DD

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
What I liked best about my Vstrom.....

She was a very pretty blue. She had an awesome set of headlights, when it was chilly outside her high beams would "pop" on. She was narrow in the waist and top heavy at the same time. When I mounted her she squatted down just enough so I could get my feet on the ground. She warmed up quick and was always ready for go dancing. I could continue......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do I think the VStrom is the best ADV bike? No way

Was the VStrom the best adv bike for the type of riding I do (little dirt) and my budget? yes

I think it really depends on what your version of adv riding is. A lot of guys call what I'd refer to as duel sport riding adv riding. IMO the VStrom is far from the best bike for the dirt or that type of adv riding. For a tourer on a budget doing the occasional dirt road or dirt into campgrounds the VStrom is hard to beat for the price.

IMO a lot of people should pass on the expensive adv bikes and buy 2 cheaper bikes. One that's great for the type of street riding they do and one that's great for the dirt. All the adv bikes are one big compromise. Unless you're actually traveling and need to carry that street and dirt capability with you I'd argue you would be better off buying 2 cheaper dedicated bikes.

Canada Trip in August. 4100 miles over a couple weeks. Total maintenance, I had to change the oil and adjust the chain when I got home.
IMG20190818105236 by Norcalkid, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
A clear theme emerging. Actually what we all know an accept I guess.

No, it's not a rally bike, no, it's not a trail bike, and it's not a full on sport bike. It's the bike for the way we ride. (And by we I mean those who love it.)
It is also a fun bike to tailor to get it just to your liking.

·
Vendor
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Agreed. It is easily tailored to the individuals. Not a lot of bikes lend themselves so easily to being tailored to the rider's personal size/shape/inseam, height, etc. It's one of the reason why so many people find it so comfortable.

·
Registered
545 Posts
What I liked best about my Vstrom.....

She was a very pretty blue. She had an awesome set of headlights, when it was chilly outside her high beams would "pop" on. She was narrow in the waist and top heavy at the same time. When I mounted her she squatted down just enough so I could get my feet on the ground. She warmed up quick and was always ready for go dancing. I could continue......
Would it get an R rating from the critics ? :smile2:

·
Registered
545 Posts
It seems to me as Rick said a theme emerging, I feel like my Vstrom is 33% street bike, 33% touring bike, 33% light terrain bike.

That only leaves 1% for anything bad. Stock Windscreen

Rick the YouTube video would be a blast to produce. :grin2:

·
Registered
440 Posts
some forget obviously here - it's not the bike, it's the rider...

go to gym more, be a man, stop whining it's too heavy, too tall, too ugly,
just ride damn thing LOL

Zook Motors is making PWC's now?? :grin2:

·
Vendor
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
I wish I would have had the idea a year ago. The video might be done now.

I'll try to get some video at the Barber Vintage festival. There should be a few V-Strom owners there.

And about the humorous part. Macdoc, offnote's, et. al., examples of what a V-Strom is NOT, top heavy and all, and certainly that picture of one standing in the water, would be funny as heck/slash provide the points of what a V-Strom is not. I love it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
She's always there in the garage waiting for me to climb on top of her and do with her what I will. She loves it! And I can never give her enough!! I can sense her longing when my finger moves closer to her g-spot (aka starter button). Sometimes I hover a while to increase the anticipation.....but can never dally too long, as I have the need as well. Within a minute, we're joined at the hip and have left the mundane world well behind us as we traverse the stratosphere.... Once done, and we separate, she stares at my back moving away from her with sad longing for more.....but trusts....that that won't.....be long....

41 - 60 of 68 Posts