StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
I don't have any problem with Strom lovers ...I'm one of them .. stating there is nothing else out there ...gonna challenge that every time. :D
Over time I've regretted not experiencing more of the some of the Suzuki machines tho I came real close to a 550 purchase and always niggled at me.

All three Wees were bulletproof except for the stator...and the two Burgman 650s were incredibly reliable over 100k km. I've always perceived Honda to be a step up in fit and finish but all of the big four are pretty solid now.

I followed the CB500x since it was introduced and had a terrific test drive in 2013. 2016 and on they got the second generation right on the money and to get a brand new Honda for $7300 ($5400 ) with Abs and warranty to ride across Canada - that was literally a once in a riding career buy for me.

No lowering links needed, significantly lighter than my Wee, same range, cheaper to run.... it was exactly what I needed for the solo jaunt last June.

The industry needs alternatives that make sense for different riders - especially us shorter folk... and yeah they are both ADV bikes. :grin2:

Now what will KLR650 morph to ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Love my Strom, almost 50,000 miles on it and no plans to replace. But we did replace my wife's Strom with a new leftover Honda CB500X for size and weight. We both love it; great bike and very comparable in capabilty to the 650.

$4,900 for new one model year old and in RED too. Light, nimble, comfortable, excellent fuel economy too. The engine seems well suited to the bike. It is no slouch.

Pretty good deal in my book.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Like that GS 550. That was a Great era.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I guess $5300 US?
Correct . I measure value in US dollars for the most part and if the price for an item is skewed in my favour due to currency swings, I use that as my reason to make a purchase. Paid the same amount for my YZ250X and used 2018 WR250r coincidentally. Sometimes, but not often, things are cheaper in Canada.,

·
Vendor
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
horsepucky ....to keep it simple ...poster made a claim and I countered it ....do you have trouble with competition for your beloved Vstrom?
I've owned 3 Vstroms ....so I have a basis of comparison ....do you???

I'm not sure the Strom needs much "official" promotion ala OP....seems it's doing quite well on its own and this forum is a strong factor in that.
Maybe it doesn't need it, but it would be cool to do and often that is far more than enough reason to do something. I'll bet a lot of guys would love to be in a viral video about their bike.

·
Vendor
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Macdoc,

I was in my senior year of high school when that and the 750 came out. During junior and senior high school I looked older than I actually was which allowed me to buy drinks in the bars in Subic Bay and Olongopo and a couple of years later walk into dealerships and test ride new 750s. I thought the "new" Suzuki 750 was beautiful in blue and they let me take it for a test ride. Dealers check ID these days, not so back then.

Everyone,

The Honda CB500X is a good motorcycle with potential to be better. I was thinking of an upbeta funny video that could help people with their choice of 650 or 1000 and explain why the people here and elsewhere love their V-Strom.

Something as funny as this video, but more positive about how adapted our bikes to us and enjoy them.

·
Vendor
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
According to Honda top spped of the CB500X is 115. Very respectable for a 500 cc twin four stroke.

A 1969 Mach III was the fastest bike available at any displacement at the time with a top speed of 114 mph, 26 mpg, and included free mosquito killing smoke screen. Now back to the subject?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you Rick!

That was one hilarious, and well-done, video review. Perfect start to a laid back Sunday morning and had me laughing out loud too many times. I don't have my first vstrom yet but thoroughly enjoy reading this forum until the day I finally do.

Mark

·
Registered
118 Posts
If i remember right,, if you were tall enough to put money on the bar in Subic Bay and Olongapo you were good to go:thumbup: but that was back in '79-81,,:yikes:as to the Strom being the best,, i think as long as the low ground clearance stays the same it will never really be in the top 3 adv bikes, does it do it for me? yes, but i will take my KLR places that i would never take the Strom, one reason is i wouldn't try log hopping on the Strom, a second is i could leave the KLR and walk out..:var_8:

·
Vendor
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Because the title was cut short by the website auto editor I want to re-emphize "best adventure bike for those who love it." I believe it fulfills the mission most people use it for better than any other bike out there. There is a reason why Suzuki made this bike the way they did and I for one am glad of it.

In other words, I think they nailed it when trying to build the bike most of us really want.

I'm going to start saving video clips of people explaining why they love their V-Strom. Feel free to forward them to me or post them here. If there are any people into video editing/production who would like to be involved, the more the better. I've done basic you tube videos, but I was hoping for something with higher entertainment value. Maybe even the story of the last 18 years of V-Stroms.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Do you really need the whole "bonding" thing?...why not just clips of where people have gone...few are articulate and so easy to leave a negative impression. Pics of people adventuring are alluring...navel gazing about it not so much.

·
Vendor
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
I'm not following you.

No kumba-ya, unless that is your thing.

But there is a story there. Hard to go 18 years and not have a story.

First gatherings, the North American Rally in South Dakota, the first Colorado gathering, the people who go to the eastern gathering just about every year, those that have taken V-Stroms on epic rides, that sort of thing.

I'l bet a lot of video already exists.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What I hate most about the vstrom is how easy it is to drop it when pushing it into and out of the garage. It's just way too top heavy. Definitely disqualifies it from being the best adventure bike.

Edit: You guys should realize that this comment was tongue and cheek. The amount of videos and reputation of the vstrom is well known. In "the industry" it's not considered the sexiest or funnest bike out there in the adventure category. I like mine just fine for how I use it. And yes, the vstrom is top heavy compared to some of the road oriented "adventure" bikes. Other than the crappy stock wind protection I can't think of anything worse about the vstrom...

·
Registered
254 Posts
What I hate most about the vstrom is how easy it is to drop it when pushing it into and out of the garage. It's just way too top heavy. Definitely disqualifies it from being the best adventure bike.
obviously you never seen top heavy bike if you say v-strom is top heavy, because it isn't at all. Just the opposite.
Try xt660z tenere for instance, so you can see top heavy bike, yet still one of the best adventure bikes so far.

p.s.
to handle bigger motorcycles sometimes you just need to go to gym :)

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
obviously you never seen top heavy bike if you say v-strom is top heavy, because it isn't at all. Just the opposite.
Try xt660z tenere for instance, so you can see top heavy bike, yet still one of the best adventure bikes so far.
Hard to listen to a very common criticism....??

576,000 results to "Vstrom top heavy" search. Now it's you nattering on about the XT660 this time.
It matters not a jot if there are more top heavy bikes out there ....people find the Stroms top heavy including me...especially for off pavement pick ups and they are relatively easy to tip over. Weight is up high especially with a full tank.
BMW Scarver 650 solved that with a fuel tank down low and lower seating making it easier for height challenged owners.

My ST1100 was far worse for top heavy ...they even had built in blades to make the pick up easier.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts