StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Vendor
4,684 Posts
I just saw a YouTube video of Best 2020 Harley Davidson's and realized that it was free advertising for the company by the company. Which got me thinking about all those adventure bike comparisons that omitted the V-Strom's or poo-poo-ed it as not being a real adventure bike.

I firmly believe that the V-Strom hits the mark for "most" adventure riders and does exactly what most adventure riders want to do most of the time better than any other bike out there. That being touring and exploring paved, unpaved, primitive roads reliably for not much money.

Wouldn't be cool if those of us that love our V-Stroms made short little video explaining why we choose and love our bikes and then artfully edit them altogether in an entertaining and humorous way?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've seen several YouTube videos of adventure bike comparisons and the VStrom has been included. It never won or came out at the top, but it did surprise the testers in that it didn't do any one thing great, but did most everything well. One of the reasons I bought my 2012 DL1000. Cheers

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
"reliably for not much money."
No bragging rights there. Well, except to the in crowd. Plenty of bargain farkles, low maintenance costs. Doesn't scare the insurance companies either.
Yah get one of the high end ADV's and the farkle catalog from Touratech just about doubles the price of your new toy to get what is considered necessary....everything!

·
Registered
548 Posts
+1 on above comments, Does everything well with the right mods (most of which are easy and fairly low cost) and
checks a good many boxes that are the reasons why WE own one or more of them. For the price I don't think there
really is another ADV that can walk in the Vstroms shoes ! :smile2:

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
For the price I don't think there
really is another ADV that can walk in the Vstroms shoes !
ahem ....CB500x >:) $6999 430 lb 65 mpg 125 mph (est)

vstrom $8799 476 lb 50 mpg Top Speed: 115 mph.

same range.

So yeah there is ....but if you are carrying heavy gear or two up the nod goes to the 650 vstrom. Both good bikes but they walk the same path and for those that want the Honda is available without ABS for $300 less only in the US afaik...and that may well appeal.

And this has widened its appeal by extending its off road capability ( along with adding the 19" front wheel and slightl narrower seat )

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2019/june/rally-raid-honda-cb500x/

You can do it with the Vstrom but you start with a weight disadvantage and no really organized upgrade gear 'cept for here. >:)

So yeah there is a choice.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Sorry to bust that bubble but mine was $5999 brand new gets 56 mpg and I never have the need to do 125 mph.
or would I want to. So how fast it goes made zero for me in my decision. It is not a specific sport bike.
I'm at almost 2K miles without a single issue.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I din't think so v-strom has to prove anything after so many years being on the market and used all over the world.
Is it best adventure bike? certainly not, it's more on the sport touring side then adventure, but still can do all.

BTW give me a break with that CB500X pushing everywhere, it's as well not a real adventure bike, it's street bike dressed up
but out of these two I'd take v-strom any time of the day. Few kilograms more makes no difference.

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
"I'm at almost 2K miles without a single issue."

Oh Please, I'll see you your 2K and raise it by 50 factor. One valve adjusted and one fork seal replaced and one shock rebuild.
Gotta be a reason to keep these beauties. I may find it one of these days. :grin2:
The Wee is like a ball peen hammer or a Coleman stove, lasts long enough to pass down to the next generation.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
BTW give me a break with that CB500X pushing everywhere, it's as well not a real adventure bike, it's street bike dressed up
horsepucky ....to keep it simple ...poster made a claim and I countered it ....do you have trouble with competition for your beloved Vstrom?
I've owned 3 Vstroms ....so I have a basis of comparison ....do you???

I'm not sure the Strom needs much "official" promotion ala OP....seems it's doing quite well on its own and this forum is a strong factor in that.

·
Registered
254 Posts
horsepucky ....to keep it simple ...poster made a claim and I countered it ....do you have trouble with competition for your beloved Vstrom?
I've owned 3 Vstroms ....so I have a basis of comparison ....do you???
it's not the point and cb500x is not a competition at all for v-strom with its 47 hp and torqueless engine.
I own currently 3 bikes and only one of them is a "proper" adventure type - xt660z tenere, not a v-strom.

·
Registered
548 Posts
2 K is all I have to compare to . Sorry if that offends you. Even if you have 150K on your Vstrom I still don't care.
Doesn't offend me in the least.

And all the Honda's I've ever owned were not as good as the Vstrom. Of coarse they were older too.

Have you guys been riding for over 45+ years ?

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
So you have no experience with what you are trying to diss and despite the press doing direct comparison between the CB500x and the Vstrom 650
https://www.rideapart.com/articles/254474/2013-suzuki-v-strom-650-adventure-vs-2013-honda-cb500x-comparison-test/

and

...you think you know better. Pardon my laughter.

And I've got 55 years riding as if that counts for much. EVERY bike is a series of compromises and I just don't have time for people that talk about a bike they have no experience of... if it's not for you fine....just don't diss what you don't know.

·
Registered
254 Posts
And all the Honda's I've ever owned were not as good as the Vstrom. Of coarse they were older too.
I agree, honda quality went downhill long time ago, I sold my nc750x after 50k km and had
frame rusted, wheel bearings gone, 3 recalls, paint pealing off etc etc
Not to mention honda arrogance about changing order of horn/indicators buttons.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
I paid $5300 for a new one. Fist time I saw how well the traction control worked I was very impressed with this value equation.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Behind the market is the way to buy motorcycles and Macs :grin2:

There is rarely a distinct advantage to the latest and greatest when new previous gens are are such good value.

The latest 650s are certainly along way from my 2010 trio.

·
Registered
403 Posts
2 K is all I have to compare to . Sorry if that offends you. Even if you have 150K on your Vstrom I still don't care.
Doesn't offend me in the least.

Have you guys been riding for over 45+ years ?
Have you been riding for 60+ years ? of COARSE not. the best bikes I have owned were not 'zuki'z. I like my wee but I have no trouble pointing out how it could be better. more ground clearance, high exhaust pipes, metal tubing under the engine, etc,etc...

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
This is a V-Strom forum, should be no surprise that most owners will rabidly defend their choice of bike.:wink2: Yup I like mine a lot, are there better for me bikes out there in this segment......yup without a doubt. We spend a lot on farkles to make a budget friendly bike even better, but yes without question they are extremely competent, overall fun and reliable machines. Very Toyota Camry like, very appliance like, but damn good for what they are and what most will use them for. I’ve likely bought my last Strom, just don’t see Suzuki building the bike I’m wanting when others pretty much already have it. I disagree wholeheartedly with Honda quality going down hill, yes they’ve had some stumbles......who hasn’t? Suzuki doesn’t listen very well to their buyers, where other manufacturers are most certainly listening. :fineprint:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts