StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess I will post this here. I see a fair number of posts (used to be more, I think) about adding a loud horn to the Strom - Stebel's a popular choice. My questions is why and how often do any of you use said horn? I swear I've only used my to beep at kids taking notice of my passing by. If everything is okay, no need for a horn as far as I can tell. If things get pear shaped, I am too occupied with straightening out the situation to be tootling a horn? The last time I witnessed a horn used in a non-child-pleasing way was when some prick wheeling out of a parking lot too fast felt the need to chastise me for going around an automatic gate on the wrong side - the bar on the correct side is much narrower and harder to fit the scooter through. Should I be using my horn more?

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
The entertainment value alone (blasting inattentive mobile electronic device using lane drifters) has been worth it to me. Also, on my route to work a dog that would always chase after me was promptly tethered (or so I imagined) after repeated 5 am blasts of the stebel. Checking if it is functioning properly in the parking lot at work while pedestrians are walking by is amusing also.:mrgreen: You should be using it more often if only to keep it functioning properly.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...You should be using it more often if only to keep it functioning properly.
Yeah, the very few times I have ever wanted to use it in anger, I couldn't remember where the button was until the moment had passed.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I was stopped behind a car in a parking lot lane when a car leaving a space started to back into me. I beeped the horn and got no reaction. I got back on the horn and stayed on it and the car finally stopped just short of me. I ordered the Stebel that evening.

·
Administrator
13,807 Posts
I've said before that if I had to use my Stebel in an emergency situation then I have failed, but it does wake people up. As such I rarely need to use it but it is fun to give the odd toot now and then when trying to get someone's attention.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
I've used mine a number of times. When I want to get someone's attention I don't want to use that joke of a tooter that Suzuki put on there, I want to be noticed NOW.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Another disturbing feature of the stock horn is I could not hear it at all when riding the bike at an actual 75mph. Talk about an oxymoron, disquieting quiet.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I've used it plenty of times to keep inattentive lane-changers from hitting me (always in combination with whatever evasive action was possible, of course). The stock horn didn't seem to get their attention.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm running two wolo's(Stebel Licensed, I Think). The one time you actually need it, then it's worth it's weight in gold. I just bought a Guzzi Quota. The stock horns seem to be as loud as my Wolo's. I paid so little for my 2 Wolo's, it's just cheap fun to not hear the idiot Lydon Laroucher's at the Post Office.
If this is the only reason to buy a Stebel, don't hestiate.

Les

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
A loud, loud horn is highly satisfying.

I loathe stock horn on bikes. They sound sickly.

I want to wake the dead when I use my horn.

I want other motorists ("morons") to pay attention.

So there...

:yesnod:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
If things get pear shaped, I am too occupied with straightening out the situation to be tootling a horn?
You answered your own question, if you had been on the horn in the first place, things would not have been pear shaped.

The louder the better, you want anyone to think you are a mack truck coming, which typically results in an instant response clearly stating "Get the [email protected]%K outa my way". I have used my Bad boy horn to wipe out bicylists, scatter deer herds from my lane of travel, making mini cooper drivers spill java in their crotch, and a few others. All performed with very little effort other than a push of a button, and all left me with a big F^@k!n smile afterwards.

Ya, dump the tootler.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Guess I will post this here. I see a fair number of posts (used to be more, I think) about adding a loud horn to the Strom - Stebel's a popular choice. My questions is why and how often do any of you use said horn? I swear I've only used my to beep at kids taking notice of my passing by. If everything is okay, no need for a horn as far as I can tell. If things get pear shaped, I am too occupied with straightening out the situation to be tootling a horn? The last time I witnessed a horn used in a non-child-pleasing way was when some prick wheeling out of a parking lot too fast felt the need to chastise me for going around an automatic gate on the wrong side - the bar on the correct side is much narrower and harder to fit the scooter through. Should I be using my horn more?
Stebel horn saved me the other day. Woman in a big Lincon day dreaming wandering into my lane completely oblivious to me being there. Gave her a blast and bingo I had tons of room. I'm sure I scared the hell out of her. Certainly woke her up and made her safer for the rest of my commute. She would not come with 250m of me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
In my experience, I haven't needed the horn very often on the open road, but as one other poster noted, in parking lots, at slow speeds, a loud horn is very useful when someone starts to back out just as you're going by. At those low speeds you don't have the nimbleness to get out of the way.

I practice using the horn when I am in rural situations without other traffic. I just let my thumb hit it over and over. This builds "muscle-memory"--you don't have to think where the horn button is, your thumb just goes there. It's a skill you learn in skydiving to find your emergency cutaway pillow. You practice the "emergency" so repetitively, that when the real emergency comes, it doesn't require conscious thought--your body does what it needs to do, while your brain is free to work through the real problem.

I agree with the other poster, if you're alert and seeing the dangers ahead of time, the horn is rarely used, but when push-comes-to-shove, a loud horn, and the instinctive ability to use it, is a good investment in safety.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Because I like being able to tell people they ****ed up, rather than just dodge and let them be oblivious for life. Twice in two weeks I had someone move into my lane. It was easy enough to drift over, lift off the throttle, and hit the horn as I fall in behind them. All without touching the brakes.

So far I've never been in a situation so dire I wasn't able to honk my horn. Knock on wood.

But you're right, if a crash is imminent, I won't be using the horn.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I better find me an empty parking lot and get in some horn practice. :biggrinjester:
There are some situations where I would have liked to have remembered where the horn button was and used it. GW's person backing out of the parking space seems the most reasonable - I have had a few nervous moments like that. I guess I am lucky in my commute and travels in that there is sufficiently light traffic (I generally pick the time of my commute) that I can give potentially negligent lane drifters a wide margin. I either slow down or speed up or put myself right in their line of sight. Those "pear shaped" times have all been sudden, unpredictable, and determined lane shifters where there was no time for a horn. Expressing my opinion after the fact would have been a plus.
I got to experience one of the loud horns personally one predawn commute when a fellow trooper caught up to me on his way home from the night shift. He gave me a blast of recognition. Nice to see him, but not so nice to start my day by having to change undergarments. :yikes:
Oh, this reminds me, though. One situation when I would like to have people use their horn (at least a warning beep) is when I am out in the countryside contemplating life at the speed limit +10 and one or more folks on them thar crotch rockets decides to blow my doors off at 2x the posted. That generally makes for another one of those :yikes: moments.

·
Registered
813 Posts
It's fun tooting your hooter while on your scooter...

Love my Stebel but the two huntaways on the road today didn't - they took heed and rapidly exited stage left...

·
Registered
296 Posts
A replacement horn is going to be one of my next purchases. Remember compared to a car's size/body mass we aren't going to stand a chance.
When we have that "cute" Geo Metro deciding to side swipe us when doing 65 mph a louder horn making that driver stop texting, eating, doing her make-up, signing "Can't stop this feeling" and start to be aware of his/her surrounding and crap their pants could save your life.
This has happened three times over the last month to me and staying with sight of the drivers and my sad little stock horn has stops a bad potential situation. (Yes once the brakes was needed but not much you can do when a young kid wants to play "Fast and the Furious on the highway". They ALL look at you like you are the one that did something wrong but when I hit that horn I am not looking to make friends, I am looking to reduce risk for myself and others I ride with. :var_50:

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Was doing a slow gain in the left lane and passing a cage in the right lane. Gal was on the cell and started drifting left the closer I got. Pushed the horn button and her knee jerk reaction sent her cell out the window. Beautiful sight. Thanks Stebel.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I scare turkeys out of the road at least once a year.
I coax distracted drivers through a light turned green at least twice a year.
I keep inattentive drivers from compressing my lane at least 3 times a year.
It makes me smile at least fo - no - SIX times a year!

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Ever time I've used my Stebel to knock a cager out of their 'road-daze', I'm always amazed by how stunned and shaken they are after they've been STEBELATED!

Sonic Tazer!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts