StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Because there aren't any. All you get is what they had all along. Pre-load adjustment, if I'm not mistaken. There is no compression or rebound adjustment. These are your basic (and dated) cartridge forks and shock. They work fine for a lighter person using the bike within it's design parameters. If you are heavy (above 82kg. as an example) or intend on riding hard off-road, the suspension won't perform very well. Many people upgrade just for the street with no intentions for off-road. Have you heard the term, "budget suspension"? The V-Strom 650 has that.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The 650 doesn't even have a cartridge fork, just a damper rod.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I have found somewhere else on suzuki site details:

Front forks with 43mm stanchion tubes are tuned for a firm feel and smooth operation. Spring preload is five-steps adjustable to suit road conditions, rider tastes, and the carrying of a passenger or luggage. Link-type rear suspension is designed for progressive response. It has a stepless rebound-damping adjuster and a dial-type spring preload adjuster that requires no tools and is conveniently located below the right sidecover. The front suspension stroke is a generous 150mm. The rear wheel travel is long at 159mm.

the most fun I had with this generous bold statement :)

DL650XAL5

·
Registered
376 Posts
You get what you pay for right ? A basically great bike at a price most of us can afford, with the potential for you long snowy winter types to tinker with for 3 months.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the weird thing though is I didn't find v-strom suspension that bad during my two test rides when I took it slightly off-road.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
You get what you pay for right ? A basically great bike at a price most of us can afford, with the potential for you long snowy winter types to tinker with for 3 months.
Yes, but...many of us would gladly pay Suzuki's wholesale cost increase for better suspension components from the factory.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts