StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yeah, it's not a MX bike, can't see why anyone would be riding at hyperspeed on the dirt.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree, also if given the choice between more options or less, I prefer to have options, such as disabling the system

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
There are times when disabling ABS is preferable. Try going down a steep hill in the dirt and see if you still like having it on.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If your going down a really steep hill, then just do it at less then 5mph and the ABS won't work anyway. Or turn the engine off, put the bike in gear and use the clutch as a rear brake.

The percentage of Vstrom owners that ride down steep dirt hills is probably 0.01%

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
There are times when disabling ABS is preferable. Try going down a steep hill in the dirt and see if you still like having it on.
Have you tried it? I have. I just rode the rear brake down the hill and was easily able to stop part-way down.

I've yet to hear of a real-world example where someone can point to this as a problem. I think it's more that BMW implemented it because they thought it might be important, so then it became a check-list item.

No doubt there are scenarios - just think it's mighty rare that some on an "Adventure Touring" bike would be in one. I bet the percentage of S10 and Triumph Explorer that go off road (not dirt roads - off roads) is about the same it is for the V-Strom and R1200GS owners I know - about 1 out of 10.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
The percentage of Vstrom owners that ride down steep dirt hills is probably 0.01%
I guess I am one of the elites.

Early in my 'Strom ownership I followed several more accomplished riders on more capable bikes up what once might have been a road.

Coming down is another story, I quickly learned the folly of not pulling the ABS fuse. The guy on the GS1200 Adventure ahead of me disabled his ABS which involved turning off the bike and turning it back on. It ws kinda scary, the bike picked up speed and before I could kill the motor to deadhead down, a nice rock yanked the bars hard to the left and my buddies had to pull 450# of wanna-be MX racebike off my leg.

It was a relatively soft landing but cost a windsheild and turn signal.

The video, which was posted before, is a rather different situation.

There's a good chance that had I been running knobbies (like the bloke in the video) I'd have had enough traction for the ABS not to have intervened.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I am going to pull the fuse here and see how it handles in the dirt. Someday.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I did, it had an inch of slimy clay on it as well. Stopped better on that than my K6 would have.

Done the steep downhill covered in wet flat river stones as well. (With a water crossing at the bottom) - also fine.

Yes, you have to ride a bit differently - but for me the brakes work better on dirt with ABS than they did on my K6 without.

Pete

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Done the steep downhill covered in wet flat river stones as well.
That is exactly the same situation I was in when my ABS left me with no braking. I wonder what (if anything) is different with the ABS on the 2012's?

·
Registered
54 Posts
:thumbup:I have to say i like the ABS in the gravel,the rear wheel wont lock up and send you sideways into an uncontrolled highside or lowside get off,i was gonna try it in the snow but i couldnt get her up to 5mph

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Have you tried it? I have. I just rode the rear brake down the hill and was easily able to stop part-way down.
No doubt there are scenarios - just think it's mighty rare that some on an "Adventure Touring" bike would be in one. I bet the percentage of S10 and Triumph Explorer that go off road (not dirt roads - off roads) is about the same it is for the V-Strom and R1200GS owners I know - about 1 out of 10.
No I haven't tried it -- I'm just going by what quite a few others, with more dirt experience, have said or written. But it's not hard to see how there would be times on loose surfaces when being able to lock the rear wheel would be desirable; even a dirt noob like me could tell you that a straight-line run on a flat lake bed is not one of those times. I was responding to the "this is definitive proof" claim in that video, which ignored all other situations.

And you're right: for the vast majority of v-strom riders, there's no reason ever to turn off the ABS. For those who do want to, there's the EB kit or the pull-the-fuse trick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, there definitely are videos on YouTube of GS riders that can stop their bikes by locking up the rear wheel faster than they can in the straight line with the ABS on. However, those bikes are a good 50lbs heavier, have a shaft drive in the rear, and carry typically carry heavy bags.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Its not only about stopping in the shortest distance, having the ability to lock the rear up helps with steering as well. I personally will be flicking the ABS off on some dirt surfaces - in particular the ball bearing gravel we have here.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
That is exactly the same situation I was in when my ABS left me with no braking. I wonder what (if anything) is different with the ABS on the 2012's?
Cycles faster ?.

I use the ABS as a warning that I've overdone the braking, back off and hit them again if necessary. I guess I could have had problems if I'd just grabbed a handful and hung on.

I tend to either threshold brake or brake VERY VERY HARD in short pulses on dirt - the ABS gives you a nice indicator that you've overdone it - I also tend to just let the rear lock up now, I'm just not good enough to control front & rear brake and steering at the same time. ABS is a win there, may not have much rear brake, but the rear of the bike doesn't wiggle all over the place either.

It's still not going to help if you are going far too fast to start with, but I had heart stoppers on my (non ABS) K6 as well doing that as well.

Pete

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I tend to either threshold brake or brake VERY VERY HARD in short pulses on dirt - the ABS gives you a nice indicator that you've overdone it
This is one of the nice things about ABS braking systems that is often overlooked: It's a way to test the tractional limits of you, your bike and whatever surface you're on - safely.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I removed the 15A valve fuse and went for a ride. The ABS light stays on, so this means it isn't working. Skidded the front and rear tire a bit on a gravel road and it is completely disabled.

I put the fuse back in and plan to leave it there. Never tried a steep downhill yet though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I realize that this is a rather old thread, but having just ridden a stretch of dirt road between Tortilla Flat and Roosevelt Lake east of Phoenix, I have some observations. Prior to this ride, I was one who considered the potential of being able to disable the ABS unnecessary and probably not a good idea. I can tell you on at least two occasions, while on a downhill and approaching a curve and finding the need to slow to avoid missing the curve and slamming into a rock wall, that i had no brakes. I was riding with a friend who had an 07 non ABS, and he had no issue whatsoever. Based on my experience, I am convinced that there are some conditions where the interaction between road surface and the ABS render the bike literally brakeless. I will never ride that road again without having first installed an Eager Beaver ABS bypass, or something similar.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Suzuki does not consider the V-Strom an off road motorcycle. I've heard that Japanese engineers tell folks that at motorcycle shows with the comment "why would anyone want take the V-Strom off road".
With that mindset then you see why there is no factory way to disable the anti-locks. Personally I could live with out anti-lock brakes on motorcycles and did for years.

·
Administrator
17,091 Posts
Eastern Beaver to the rescue, pull the fuse.....or buy a bike that you can switch on/off at will. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts