StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not yet seen a good reason for getting one in favour of the other; they look similar in design & size. They are both adventure bikes with V twin engines, they are both chain drive & List prices are very close (in fact just looking at their UK web sites they are both at £6999)
So come on there must be a reason why I should get a V-Strom & not a Varadero ?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you check the varadero forum (I did) I believe you will find the Varadero is made in Europe my Montesa and has had its share of problems.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because the Strom is ugly and the Honda is very ugly :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4 Reasons

Mule

I can think of 4 reasons: V-Strom top speed is 15 more at 140mph, power output is higher at 96bhp vs 83, the V-Strom is lighter at 207kg.

The 4th reason? In this week's MCN, there are 3 Varadero's for sale and only 1 V-Strom. The V-Strom for sale? Silver '03 at just under £6k. Mine is an '02 in yellow. Wouldn't change her, and they don't make yellow ones anymore. Just fitted a centre stand, just greased the chain, just washed, just polished, but languishing in the garage after 10000 miles.

Bring on the summer.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The main disadvantage of the Vara is not that it's heavier in general - but it's top heavier. The Strom is lighter, sportier, faster. The Vara is even more comfortable on long rides, but a bit unhandier in the city.

The Strom is not ugly, I rate it nicer than the Vara when looked at it from a few m distance. But from close it looks a little like put together from various pieces, while the Vara looks like 'one'.

The Strom's engine is somewhat more a source of joy. It's more punchy and dynamic. The Vara is smoother, and has better low rpm roll. Can easy ride her at 2000 rpm, because they gave her a balancer.

If Suzuki had done a little more effort for the fork, the Strom would have unquestionable the better suspension. But put overall, now the 2003 and later Varas are some of the best stuff you can get in terms of suspension. But they are actually both quite high level.

The Vara's engine is proven an utterly reliable beast, since many years. The Strom has to prove that still, but it looks like it could last long as well. A German magazine did a 50,000 km test, and dismanteled the engine. Found no issues.

The Vara has lesser warranty issues. It has issues, but there ARE more small niggles with the Strom. I read the Vara forum since 1.5 years.

It is logical that more Vara's are sold 2. hand in UK, because the bike is in the market since 1999, thus more are on the road.

I like my Strom. But I do not need to be brand blind.

So now let it bleed.

Regards
Peter

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tough choice, whats the wind protection like on the Honda? For me that would be the decider. It's the only thing I dislike about my Strom, and even that's not too bad, some times I think I'm being a whiney little bitch when it bothers me, after all it's a motorcycle.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
look at the compression ratio difference!! :shock: 8)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
>>>
Tough choice, whats the wind protection like on the Honda?
<<<

My test ride was not too long.

My impression it's marginally better on the Vara. The Strom exposes you to more wind, the Vara to lesser. To sort of balance that out, at higher speeds the Vara's wind noises seem more.

This is comparing K2/K3 with Vara.

·
Registered
351 Posts
VS or Varadero

Bikes are all about personel preferance.
Test ride them both and see what you think.
The Varadero is not offered in North America.
The VS is a nimble bike for its size and Suzuki
has done a good job of keeping the weight low (CG).
If the Varadero is top heavy like the Caponord
it may not be as fun to ride as the VS.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the information, I posted the same question on the Varadero web site http://12.129.225.115/~rovworld/cgi...B.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1070110740
OH dear looks like their only reason for getting the Honda is because it's a Honda & built by Honda ???? Someone said in an earlier post "I believe you will find the Varadero is made in Europe by Montesa and has had its share of problems." If this is the case I had a Montesa & a Bultako many years a go, & I think I can safely say they didn't strike me as the most reliable bikes I've come across (but to be fair they were used off road & totally abused.
I have just found out my local Suzuki dealer still has the price reduced over the winter to £5600 (this is to make way for the new 2004 model coming early next year) Its just a shame I cant afford to change now! And looking at the expenses coming my way from the kids, I may end up buying a 2004 model in 2005.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anonymous said:
Thanks for all the information, I posted the same question on the Varadero web site http://12.129.225.115/~rovworld/cgi...B.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1070110740
OH dear looks like their only reason for getting the Honda is because it's a Honda & built by Honda ???? Someone said in an earlier post "I believe you will find the Varadero is made in Europe by Montesa and has had its share of problems." If this is the case I had a Montesa & a Bultako many years a go, & I think I can safely say they didn't strike me as the most reliable bikes I've come across (but to be fair they were used off road & totally abused.
I have just found out my local Suzuki dealer still has the price reduced over the winter to £5600 (this is to make way for the new 2004 model coming early next year) Its just a shame I cant afford to change now! And looking at the expenses coming my way from the kids, I may end up buying a 2004 model in 2005.
Don’t know what happened there! my computer normally loges me in to this forum automatically, just noticed it has put my last post quoted above as guest ???? instead of JACKWABBIT oh-er.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Varadero VS

Stromies

Here's how motorcyclenews.com a U.K Web page rates the bikes.

Varadero 1999- 2001

Engine 87%
Handling 81%
Brakes 70%
Comfort 82%
Grin Factor 80%
Overall 80%

V-Strom

Engine 90%
Handling 92%
Brakes 92%
Comfort 95%