StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts as to why Michelin doesn't make a standard PR4 for the front (110/80R19) and is only selling the PR4 Trail now? I believe there is a small difference in the width of the two compounds along with hardness/stickiness rating.

Chances are if someone is buying a PR regardless of trail or no trail that moto will go offroad very seldom. Honestly after burying a GSA a few years ago I've sworn off riding heavy motos in the dirt. Prefer the light and flickable along with being able to pull 'em out of mud hole without a bloody crane...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I wanted to order Pilot Power 3 tires, because race bike.

But michelin said no wayyy.

It was a sad day.

·
Registered
216 Posts
They are marketing to the Adventure size I imagine. I just purchased 4 michelin defenders for my F-150, however, after running the PR4s on my FJR I will not use them again. Over rated in my opinion and I did not like how soft and deformed the front tire was after 10,800 miles.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
PR4 is superb in rain. The Trail is designed for bikes like ours, thus the Trail version in our sizes, even though it is a street tire. Must be a French translation problem...

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I find them excellent on a DL650. It's amazing fun just riding around the litre bikes in the rain.

It's a pure road tyre and almost useless offroad despite the 'trail' in the name. I put them on so I wouldn't be tempted to ride off road until my shoulder healed up and they've worked wonders at that, damn things last forever is the only downside :{

The difference is it's designed for the tire sizes and loadings the big adventure bikes put on tires, not sports bikes.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
I have run the PR3's and then a PR4 on the rear. The size mentioned is only for
"Adventure" bikes and that is why the "Trail" rating. However I don't think the front tire has hardly any difference when compared to the regular PR3 and PR4. I got around 13,000 miles on my front PR3 and it still had good tread left ( went to TKC 70's ). BUT, I have zero use for the PR3 or PR4 rear tire. 6500 miles on the PR3, 5800 on the PR4 and both were worn out. Not acceptable for a tire in this price range. For whatever reason the center compound is much softer on the rear Trail versions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been riding BMWs for years R-RT-GSAs and have been riding the Michelin PR series since their inception with the dual compound set up. I've averaged 8.5-10K miles per pair with the front typically being more longevity wise. Perhaps they are a pricey tire but then again everything about motorcycle maintenance and ownership is expensive. I'm using PR4s this season on the Vee and also a R12RT heaxhead. Can't remember what I've got on the dirt squirter Husky TE310...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts