StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm sitting on the side of I-64 W right now looking at my strom... with a huge puddle of oil underneath it! Arghhh I guess somehow my oil drain plug vibrated loose, BUT it's my fault, I changed the oil. Let this remind everyone to tighten your plugs REALLY tight so you don't end up like this! And just in case your like me and your shop doesn't have a plug i just stock, a b8es spark plug will supposedly work. I'll find out in about 30 minutes when it gets here,

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
875 Posts
:thumbup: At least you noticed before the engine seized. I tend not to tighten mine too tight because the last time I changed my oil it was a biatch getting off, and the filter was even worse, I had to use a crush wrench, and I don't recall tightening them all that much.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Dang man that sucks, hope the plug fits.

Gotta ask though, don't u guys use a torque wrench? I just changed the oil and filter on my bike, and there's just no way I would do it without torquing it to specs...

·
Administrator
18,468 Posts
Be careful using a torque wrench, that rating is for "dry" threads. I use a torque wrench, but I will go about 3 lbs under what the spec is when dealing with the drain plugs......many have stripped threads with and without torque wrenches so BEWARE!!!!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Never used a torque wrench once on an oil drain bolt and I've managed to survive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well plug fits good and snug, lugged it back and forth to get some oil back in the cylinders but then I realized my battery was toasted. Negative terminal was melted .... my buddy is off to get a new battery, keeping my fingers crossed that that will work. It would turn over just not enough juice to start it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
THAT.... is MacGyver worthy and a wonderful tip that I hope I never have to use!

Thats what it looks like with the plug

·
Registered
15,922 Posts
Self inflicted OOPS! That's ugly. A buddy had 2, count them two, oil site glasses on his beemer blow out over the years. Both times on the freeway. That doesn't happen on the Strom.
Now, at least, you know better and can protect yourself.
Hope you didn't soak your rear tire too badly.

·
Administrator
18,468 Posts
Don't bottom that out, or you are screwed again.....not much road clearance there it seems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not much clearance at all. It did thread in perfectly though. I made it about 30 yards before it started knocking terribly. A good mile or two push and I was off the interstate. A pricey lesson learned today. BUT I will say this, after being on the side of the interstate for 5+ hours I probably had 50+ harley riders pass me and not a single one stopped. I had 2 LD riders pass and both stopped and offered assistance. My day sucked but that makes me appreciate being part of this community that much more.

Time for a cold drink

·
Registered
2019 Super Tenere
135 Posts
I always safety wire my drain plugs. It is easy to do and the tools are relatively cheap. A spool of safety wire will last a long time, plus you don't have to worry about 'torquing' the drain bolt down so much. Just snug and wire.

That sparkplug trick is a good thing to know though! Good thinking.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I always safety wire my drain plugs. It is easy to do and the tools are relatively cheap. A spool of safety wire will last a long time, plus you don't have to worry about 'torquing' the drain bolt down so much. Just snug and wire.

That sparkplug trick is a good thing to know though! Good thinking.
This. Safety wire ftw

1 - 17 of 17 Posts