Bubba

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Gives new meaning to "measure twice, cut once."

·
Registered
288 Posts
That might have been the most excruciating 2.5 minutes of my life. It's a wonder those guys can assemble anything.:headbang:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Speaking as a math teacher... that is so very, very sad it makes me want to cry.

Speaking as "regular Joe"... that is friggin hilarious.

The next time one of my students asks me why they need to learn fractions, I am pulling this video out and saying "so you don't end up looking like this on international TV, that's why!"

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
"Multiply by two, add 32 - 34 metric beers. Count me in for metric...."

The McKenzie Brothers

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Speaking as a math teacher... that is so very, very sad it makes me want to cry.

The next time one of my students asks me why they need to learn fractions, I am pulling this video out and saying "so you don't end up looking like this on international TV, that's why!"

I agree 100%, but I can't help noting that math teachers don't get their own TV shows, whereas these people DO. I'm not sure what that says about America, but it can't be good.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The worst part is that they are laughing the loudest - right to the bank again.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I shouldn't comment on this...

Aw krapp, here goes: does any one remember what happened to the first Mars-lander/would-be-rover?

Personally, I never got the point of that RETARDED imperial system.

I mean, it's cool to teach kids fractions, and it's infinitely more precise as far as measuring theoretical stuff, but in real life, most of the time, an actual number is close enough...

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
The worst part is that they are laughing the loudest - right to the bank again.
They get a $40,000 to $50,000 appearance fee to deliver their bikes.

But I've seen them at a presentation and the old man, and Mikey, are not as dumb as they seem. The old man is quite willing to look a fool if it's good for the show.

They appeared at SolidWorks World and there was a video of a Finite Element Analysis of one of their parts. The plot is this kind of image.

They asked the old man what was going on and he said he had "No idea but Red is bad, green is good." It was actually a really funny and self-effacing way to describe what was going on.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Aw krapp, here goes: does any one remember what happened to the first Mars-lander/would-be-rover?

I mean, it's cool to teach kids fractions, and it's infinitely more precise as far as measuring theoretical stuff, but in real life, most of the time, an actual number is close enough...
I have to disagree. I would rather multiply and divide fractions than do long division out to several decimal places any day. Also it really isn't all that hard to deal with fourths and eighths as fractions if you had a good teacher who taught you the tricks to dealing with them.

And have you ever struggled, in real life, with a part that just would not fit right but was only off by a couple of millimeters? That part was made and/or inspected by someone who said the number was "close enough."

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts

Speaking of space.....

.....if Apollo 13 had been off just a fraction of a degree, our astronauts would not have been able to limp back home after all they had been through.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts

There are two ways of looking at this; dealing with fractions that are written on paper, (or on a blackboard), or looking at "fractions" on a tape measure, (the context of the clip).

I have to confess, for myself, that my "paper fractions" are pretty weak. However, having spent the last 30 years of my life as a carpenter, (25 of that building yachts), I know my "tape fractions".

You cringe at them coming from the perspective of a math teacher.

I cringe at them coming from the perspective of, they can't read a tape measure!

But to me, the whole scene looked somewhat contrived. I felt like I was watching a version of, "Who's on first?"

·
Registered
65 Posts
I work in a print shop that produces signs you see in retail stores like Express, Bath and Body, and Victoria's Secret. Smaller signs will be printed multiple up on a larger sheet and cut down to singles on a cutter. To program the cutter, the operator needs to read a tape measure and convert to decimal. 1/4 inch = 0.250 , 5/8 = .625 etc.

Over the years, I have been shocked by how many guys I have trained who had to start with learning how to read a tape measure.

I was reprimanded not too long ago for losing my temper with a guy I had spent time training. We were adding up bleeds (trim-outs between images) and had 7 segments of 1/4 inch each.

Me: What's 7 times 1/4? The correct answer for the machine is 1.750

Him: several wrong answers, mostly guessing

Me: (apparently too loud and angry) If you have 7 f-ing quarters in your pocket, how much f-ing money do you have!?

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I work in a print shop that produces signs you see in retail stores like Express, Bath and Body, and Victoria's Secret. Smaller signs will be printed multiple up on a larger sheet and cut down to singles on a cutter. To program the cutter, the operator needs to read a tape measure and convert to decimal. 1/4 inch = 0.250 , 5/8 = .625 etc.
Hence a major advantage of the A4 paper and its relatives.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts

Could you try that again, in english this time? I don't get that last part.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There are two ways of looking at this; dealing with fractions that are written on paper, (or on a blackboard), or looking at "fractions" on a tape measure, (the context of the clip).

I have to confess, for myself, that my "paper fractions" are pretty weak. However, having spent the last 30 years of my life as a carpenter, (25 of that building yachts), I know my "tape fractions".

You cringe at them coming from the perspective of a math teacher.

I cringe at them coming from the perspective of, they can't read a tape measure!
I agree with you 100%! All that book stuff I teach them means absolutely nothing if they can't take it out to the real world and apply it to everyday life.

I stress to my kids that some of the biggest users of math in the real world are workers in the various construction trades. There are few people in this world who have a deeper understanding of "functional geometry" than carpenters.

On the other side of the video, I don't think as much of that show is as contrived as you'd think. That show has absolutely destroyed their family because all of that on-screen conflict and tension was real. There are other family members who outright refused to even be a part of the show and never even wanted to be mentioned on the show because of their differences with Paul Sr. If you ask me, the real reason for the "success" of their bike assembly business (not the show) is that third guy in the video, the one who is not part of the family... his name escapes me at the moment. He is the one who makes it all happen. The others just get in his way and slow him down IMO.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
If you ask me, the real reason for the "success" of their bike assembly business (not the show) is that third guy in the video, the one who is not part of the family... his name escapes me at the moment. He is the one who makes it all happen. The others just get in his way and slow him down IMO.
That would be Rick. There are some other guys there who are good too. Still, it's Senior who created the business and deserves credit for that. Otherwise, Rick would not have the job.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
The irony is that the show was originally going to be about a one man shop in NH but when the crew got there, he'd gone on vacation.

Staff

Paul Teutul, Sr.
Michael "Mikey" Teutul (left OCC in 2009)
Paul Teutul, Jr. (Terminated in 2009)
Rick Petko (Fabricator)
Jim "JQ" Quinn (Engineer)
Jason Pohl (Designer)
Mike Microch Amorati (Fabricator)
Nick Hansford
Christian Welter
Ron Salsbury
Steve Moreau (General Manager)

Mike Campo left on good terms to seek new creative artistic work.

In September 2007, Vincent DiMartino and Cody Connelly left OCC and American Chopper for undisclosed reasons. The two have since started their own bike shop, V Force Customs in Rock Tavern, New York not far from OCC's original shop.

Paul Teutul, Jr. was fired from the shop in the first April 2009 episode, after a huge argument with Paul, Sr. After a month apart, the two met at the original shop and discussed their differences and agreed to resume working together. The next day Paul, Jr. returned to the shop. Not long after returning Junior decided he made a mistake. After talking with his brother Mikey, he decided to leave OCC, informing his dad of his decision after revealing a bike honoring Alaska's 50th Anniversary. To this day both Mikey and Paul, Jr. have not returned to OCC. Paul, Jr. is working to build his own company Paul Jr. Designs, and Mikey is recovering from problems with alcohol abuse.

Paul, Jr. and Paul, Sr. are currently in litigation regarding their respective financial interests in Orange County Choppers. The case is pending before the Supreme Court of the State of New York, County of Orange. The Honorable Lewis J. Lubell is presiding over the case which appeared before the Court for initial conference and oral argument on March 10, 2010. The subject of the litigation does not concern the percentage of ownership maintained by Paul, Jr. and Paul, Sr.. Paul Jr. owns 20% and Paul, Sr. owns 80%. The litigation relates to a dispute over what date the business should be valued for the purposes of determining the "buy out".
The OCC SolidWorks chopper. Not really a motorcycle, but it is an impressive movable sculpture.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts