StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
I ride a lot, but never go to model-specific forums to organize rides. I ride with everyone, regardless of make. Case in point. I organized a fall foliage ride in southwestern PA today. Had 13 riders show up for a couple hundred miles of twisty country roads with awesome fall foliage and weather.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Lame?

Lame? Moi? Probably just too damn busy keeping the wolf from the door here in nowheresville, NY. Today I rode down to Wellsboro, PA with three friends, not Strom riders, to look at the big hole in the ground. Didn't see any other Stroms the entire day. Saw tons of Harleys though. We were one Wee Strom, one SV 1000, one Valkyrie and one Ducati Monster 800. Left at noon, home by 7:30 pm. We're not really lame, just too busy to ride as much as we'd like.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I haven't been on an actual ride other than commuting in about 6 weeks. I have a son in junior high football, and I coach pop warner football and work 55 hours a week. Doesn't leave much free time. Can't wait to get out and ride some more.
Matt

·
Registered
340 Posts
Most of the regional areas cover a lot of territory, and most riders only ride for a day or two on the weekends, and sometimes 1/2 day is all they can get squeezed in. That amounts to two hours out and back.....100 miles from home if you are damn lucky and don't get hooked up in some traffic.

I prefer riding by myself, or with my wife in tow on her Vulcan. The fellowship of group riding is great, if I just didn't have to ride in a group. :???:

To me, group riding (not just out riding with 3 or 4 bikes and good friends- I'm talking 10-30 bikes and many strangers) is the antithesis of "riding freedom" - you become a lemming.

If a road side attraction or side road catches your eye and you want to explore, you are SOL. If you are hot and want a drink your are SOL, if you don't need gas and don't need a drink you are SOL, if the guy in front of you is on a loud bike, with a poorly tuned air fuel mixture you are SOL.

Then there are rules, like continuing though traffic lights or 4 way stop signs, and bikes blocking traffic to the let the group through.......it feels like an accident waiting to happen.

My idea of a group ride would be to give eveyone a map, and time to arrive at various destinations that allowed for about 25% more time than needed then go your own way/speed/pace and meet up when you get there.

Is that 'beat' enough for you? ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bigcountry,
Where are you located? NJ,PA,NY we have a big Vstrom group. the main core is in central NJ and then N & S NJ some in Phili, Bucks county, and lehigh area. There are around 70 of us and atleast 5 to 10 that always ride together. Check out the NJ group link here and there will be a link to the site.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Anyone ever ride out in the Lehigh Valley/Poconos/Reading areas? I live in Berks County and commute to Allentown for work; I haven't seen a single (confirmed) Strom since I got mine in May. I thought I saw one over the weekend in Reading, but it was too far away for me to be sure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Anyone ever ride out in the Lehigh Valley/Poconos/Reading areas? I live in Berks County and commute to Allentown for work; I haven't seen a single (confirmed) Strom since I got mine in May. I thought I saw one over the weekend in Reading, but it was too far away for me to be sure.
Hey Uneasy. I ride out in Bucks county and north of that every weekend almost. Where about in Lehigh we have another guy from our group in that area. He rides a dark blue Vee. You might see him.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Hey Uneasy. I ride out in Bucks county and north of that every weekend almost. Where about in Lehigh we have another guy from our group in that area. He rides a dark blue Vee. You might see him.
Cool - I'll keep my eyes open. Maybe we can get together for a weekend ride sometime, though with my crazy schedule my weekends are usually few and far between. Before we moved to the Boyertown area in May, we lived in Quakertown; used to ride all over Bucks. That was on my Maxim, though.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Out and about

I like to leave early and stay out all day. Sometimes I ride up to Ontario to visit friends or visit my parents grave site. I smoke cigars and a pipe and I know a great tobaconist in NF, Ontario, so often my ride will include a long stop to enjoy a good stogie. Sometimes I'll ride with one of my stepsons but usually I'm solo. I like it that way as it leaves me free to go where and when I want. I'd like to meet some Strom riders in my region and get together for some interesting rides. Anyone got any interesting ideas for next season? Anyone want to ride down to Cleveland at the end of January for the Cycle World show? It'd have to be fairly mild with an early start for us WNY riders. Last year I saw one bike in the parking lot, a BMW GS farkled to the hilt. Lots of good riding in the Finger Lakes and south of the border in PA and Lake George is prime riding territory. I like small groups, say 3 - 4.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to riding, just bought my Vee in August. I am located in Exton, PA. Im looking to ride in a group, so if you are aware of any group rides in the area let me know.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Lake George

I'd like to head up your way late next spring or in early summer for a weekend of cycle camping with one or both of my stepsons. Sit around the campfire, smoke my pipe and just look at the stars and chill out for a day or so. I was in Lake George/Queensbury with my wife last month in the car and would love to go back again on the bike and explore more of those twisty back roads.

·
Registered
984 Posts
J-Strom, Where in Western NY are you? I'm about 15 minutes SE of Rottenchester.
Whats up jarhead? You currently enlisted or a vet? I'm in Olean just north of the PA line. I like to ride up to Fairport from time to time to visit the BMW dealer, Country Rode. I usually take 21 up through Canandaigua. You going to the Cycle World show in Cleveland at the end of January? Keep me posted, mabey we can get together for a ride in the spring.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Retired after 20 years. Rte 21 is a good ride. I have taken that down to the Southern end of Canandaigua lake a few times. Riding up around Honeoye lake is also a good ride. I'll have to find my way down to your neck of the woods. I have some family in Alfred that I haven't visited yet. As I recall the roads down in that area are pretty bike worthy. I haven't checked into the Bike Show in Ohio yet. I'm pretty content with the Strom so I haven't done any looking at anything else lately.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts