Strom Trooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suzuki ?

I don't have a John Deere because at 1 point I thought I needed the diaphragm for a vacuum fuel pump. Should be $.50 of stamped rubber.

Well they didn't sell the diaphragm so what is the pump. 2 pcs of die cast and the rubber. should be $15

NO $ 80

I decided that John Deere no longer looked at their customers as partners and serviced them at a reasonable profits

no

They looked at them as a group of captured and secured slaves that could be exploited at any opportunity

Well Suzuki replace YOUR defective petcock $69 sold at Amazon for $18

Shop manuals starting at $78

Friends come and go enemies are forever

·
Registered
88 Posts
Why do people like you always want something for nothing ? Your idea of what is reasonable is unreasonable !!! You have no idea of the hidden cost a manufacturer incurs to stock parts and provide this service.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Why do people like you always want something for nothing ? Your idea of what is reasonable is unreasonable !!! You have no idea of the hidden cost a manufacturer incurs to stock parts and provide this service.
Providing fast availability of all serviceable parts on a product can be a very complex and expensive undertaking. Sometimes it's done at much lower cost by competitors that provide only a limited range of parts that aren't necessarily made to OEM specs. It's a free market and the consumer gets to chose which meets his needs, the OEM or aftermarket. Manufacturers of some products make more profit on parts than the original product. Welcome to the razor blade business!

And as products age, manufacturers tend to service parts only at a higher part number level, providing "assemblies" rather than individual parts, in order to reduce the number of parts they have to buy and stock. As demand fades, many eventually either increase prices or drop parts support altogether, depending on the product (lifespan, field population, value, etc).

·
Registered
569 Posts
A large part of the cost is low unit numbers. A part like that on a given model/year tractor might be a very low production scale item. I remember in 1984 a friend was going to replace a pleated rubber boot that had a tear in it. It covered the landing gear lever on his Cessna kind of like a parking brake boot on a car. It was $300. Probably $700 in todays dollars. He decided to use some duct tape. Probably a few hundred units were ever produced hence the cost.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
So, did your John Deere hold up or was it such a POS that 1 expensive part soured you. Parts are expensive on the strom...price a fuel filter. You ditching it also?

I look at it like this. With tractors...parts cost is spread across far fewer units. I have a New Holland. At 1600 hours the water pump seal started leaking. Only a new pump was available, and not rebuilds or seal kits. There is nothing special about the pump but the $260 price. The only thing that has ever failed on my NH is the water pump. I will buy another when the one I have wears out.

I hear JD makes a good product. I see more green tractors in my rural county than blue.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
There are way more orange tractors in my area than either green or blue. I had several old Fords and some nice Industrials that were pretty beat by the time I got them, before I got the Kubota.

I don't know where I'm going with this...:confused: I do enjoy my tractor!….But not nearly as much as my Wee, though!! :hurray:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with Richw on this one. JD parts are are way overpriced. That said in my case not many problems, but that will change as the unit ages.

I don't know if people realize how most parts departments price parts.
Basically parts are on a matrix, the lower the cost the higher the percentage mark up. Some parts could be marked up 400/500%.
The question is at what point does it change from acceptable profit to gouging?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I have a 1945 John Deere BO Lindeman Crawler. I can go to the "local" JD dealer and get many general maintenance parts that same day. That is worth a lot to me.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Green paint is expensive, and those who like that color usually use them for years, many many years. IH is also good, those who like red use them for many years as well. It is really a personal preference. You have to understand that over time, it is no longer economical to stock components of assemblies, though if the parts dude at your dealership is worth his salt, he can find just about anything you need for any piece of equipment you have.
Nothing against Kubota, they tend to last a long time too, not as long as some other, they would be jobber tractors, kinda like Ryobi tools, equate Green or Red to Dewalt.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have a 1945 John Deere BO Lindeman Crawler. I can go to the "local" JD dealer and get many general maintenance parts that same day. That is worth a lot to me.
And that why those parts cost so much. Providing that kind of parts availability for an older product with dwindling field population is expensive. But not as expensive as scraping the machine itself before it's worn out. It's a good business model for both the manufacturer and the customer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
And that why those parts cost so much. Providing that kind of parts availability for an older product with dwindling field population is expensive. But not as expensive as scraping the machine itself before it's worn out. It's a good business model for both the manufacturer and the customer.
I agree completely. My late father and I owned / own several older tractors (Fords - 8N, 2000, 4000, 5610) and a crawler (JD - 450B) through the years. The fact that parts are available at all, at anything near a reasonable price, has been good for us. I think people don't think about the work and expense involved with some things. They'll (we'll) go out to eat, say once a week, and think little of driving 100 miles round-trip (trip worth ~$50 per US Gov't rates) and then spending $40-60 on the meal, but we (myself included) gripe because a certain part for one of our bikes or cars or machines costs $40. I usually don't like it either, at the time, but when I stop and think about it more, being able to keep old machines operational is bunches better than plunking down $15- 35K for a new machine.

Anybody else notice we're talking farm tractors in a "Feedback to Suzuki" thread? Sort-of funny...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
If you talk to any mechanic they can tell you that every machine that is built will have a part that will fail at a point. and it is common in all of that model.
Chevy3/4 trucks have bad fuel pumps water pumps and rear break drums.
My MC told me when they would need to be replaced long before it happened.
the fuel pump has bad wiring and when the wiring fails you need to replace the whole thing. it does come with the new harness but it will cost you $500 just for the part. and it is easier to remove the bed of the truck than the fuel tank.
I think that is what most people are mad about.
Chevy knows of all the problems and the new models are still the same.
This is the same with your Strom. Did the new models have the common problems fixed. Not from what I have red in this forum.
Retooling cost is expensive but if you know there is a problem make more so the cost goes down.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
...Chevy knows of all the problems and the new models are still the same.

This is the same with your Strom. Did the new models have the common problems fixed[?] Not from what I have red in this forum.

Retooling cost is expensive but if you know there is a problem make more so the cost goes down.
Yeah, regarding Stroms, especially Vees (sorry guys), that seems to be true. Fueling issues, clutch issues and, most incredibly to me, some sort of issue with a bushing on the rear wheel assembly. There's apparently actually a "fix kit" people order for that bushing problem - and apparently they've been buying them for years! Something apparently as simple as just machining and installing different metal (simple, lathe-made?) items apparently wasn't done - ever! We couldn't and wouldn't want to get away with that in my business.

Maybe these things have been fixed on the V2, I hope so, but Suzuki does itself no favors by letting stuff like this go on. C'mon - Japan's supposed to be the country that best implements continuous design and manufacturing improvements! W. Edwards Deming (Total Quality Management) and all that sort of stuff...

I've only owned one Strom - a Wee, which I love and which has been great - but I too have read the Vee stories here...

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
All the bikes I've had suffer from no individual parts availability... Need a simple odd sized o-ring, too bad you have to buy the whole assembly for, $50, $100, $150 etc..

I hate how JD just re-badges other brands, many models are NOT John Deere tractors, same with the other "American" brands. So, I have a Kubota L series and the parts availability is impressive. I've only ordered two items over the years though, they are very well built. Kubota tractors are worth the cost IMO, they are supported very well and actually last. Love the metal body work, I'm sick of brittle sun bleached plastic falling apart. Metal works! :mrgreen:

I still prefer the JD X series lawn tractors though, they actually make those and put some thought into the designs.

Every time I work on a Suzuki and get irritated by the parts support, I just think back to working on my KTM ADV and all the fun of fixing a quirky machine prone to constant neediness .:mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First I am whining about the petcock on a new to me 03 drz250 which the owner threw up his hands as unreliable and fuse blowing less than 100 miles.

Well pulling off the rubber hose the pressed in brass hose fitting pulled out of the petcock instead. They would have got up to $40 from me but $70 no thanks.

I will be roughing it up and putting it together with a little JB Weld.

I used to make and sell electronic grade screen printers. Mostly I used air over oil hydraulics for the squeegee drive. After a bit the seal would relax on some and they would be begin to drool more so if it wasn't used regularly. I KNEW this was a weak point and would sell that part for cost and handling. Yes I was a sucker

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Suzuki ?

I don't have a John Deere because at 1 point I thought I needed the diaphragm for a vacuum fuel pump. Should be $.50 of stamped rubber.

Well they didn't sell the diaphragm so what is the pump. 2 pcs of die cast and the rubber. should be $15

NO $ 80

I decided that John Deere no longer looked at their customers as partners and serviced them at a reasonable profits

no

They looked at them as a group of captured and secured slaves that could be exploited at any opportunity

Well Suzuki replace YOUR defective petcock $69 sold at Amazon for $18

Shop manuals starting at $78

Friends come and go enemies are forever
I assume you are not a boat owner either?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts