StromTrooper banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Administrator
5,590 Posts
"Despite its reputation as a major oil industry player, almost all of Norway’s domestic energy comes from hydropower. Because so much of the country’s electricity is renewable, a switch to EVs is a much greener equation than it would be for countries whose electricity comes from high-polluting coal-fired plants. To make the switch happen, the Norwegian government has invested heavily in financial incentives and charging infrastructure.

As far back as 1990, the government began to introduce incentives for EV owners. Big changes started to come at the turn of the millennium when road tax was lowered, charges for toll roads and public ferries were removed, and free parking offered in some municipal car parks.

Norway’s 25% sales tax was removed from new EV purchases in 2001, and drivers were permitted to use bus lanes from 2005." Electric Cars: Why Little Norway Leads The World In EV Usage
It's difficult to justify EV's from a climate saving perspective when the majority of your electricity is generated by gas and coal.

·
Premium Member
5,025 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Dear
"Despite its reputation as a major oil industry player, almost all of Norway’s domestic energy comes from hydropower. Because so much of the country’s electricity is renewable, a switch to EVs is a much greener equation than it would be for countries whose electricity comes from high-polluting coal-fired plants. To make the switch happen, the Norwegian government has invested heavily in financial incentives and charging infrastructure.

As far back as 1990, the government began to introduce incentives for EV owners. Big changes started to come at the turn of the millennium when road tax was lowered, charges for toll roads and public ferries were removed, and free parking offered in some municipal car parks.

Norway’s 25% sales tax was removed from new EV purchases in 2001, and drivers were permitted to use bus lanes from 2005." Electric Cars: Why Little Norway Leads The World In EV Usage
It's difficult to justify EV's from a climate saving perspective when the majority of your electricity is generated by gas and coal.
Brockie you're right about the renewables. you underestimate the tax relief benefits. It's much much greater, in come cases close to 60 per cent.

·
Administrator
13,505 Posts
Sorry Tom, I have driven all those cars. It does not accelerate as hard anywhere near as hard as the 918 at high speed.
Nope it doesn't accelerate as hard a 918 - that isn't what I was saying.

I was saying that a 918 owner who has a lot of credibility (plus 3 FIA speed records) says the Taycan Turbo S feels to him that it accelerates that same amount at 120 mph as it does from a standstill. (I drove the 918 at Road Atlanta in training but we were held to 165 mph. That car is insanely fast!)

..Tom

·
Registered
127 Posts
Whenever a new one comes out, I always check the specs and I’m always disappointed at the range. The cost is the other thing. I could buy a pretty bad*ss bike for what they want for them. But the acceleration of an electric vehicle is pretty astounding. I once had a Tesla in front of me on a four lane road...and then a few seconds later he was half a mile in front of me without a sound. It was very cool in a Tron kind of way.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Torque vs speed graph for a typical SCIM
electric_motor_current_torque.png

Variations in torque with supply voltage for a specific motor design:
BorgWarner-HVH250-electric-motor-torque-curve.png

Variations in torque output for frequency for a given motor design
main-qimg-3c60415d31ee534fecf73c810c20c6da.jpeg

The torque output of an electric motor is NOT automatically maximum at zero rpm. It depends on a large number of variables from the design of the motor itself, to the voltage and frequency of the supply, and especially the control system in use and how that is configured.
Do electric vehicles have INSTANT torque? That depends on the control system but often yes, but that does NOT necessarily mean they have instant MAXIMUM torque.

·
Administrator
13,505 Posts
@Dark Angel

How do "permanent magnet synchronous Motors" (as used in the Porsche Taycan) compare?

A lot of this stuff is over my head but I need to have a sense of the plusses and minuses.
..Tom

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
@Dark Angel

How do "permanent magnet synchronous Motors" (as used in the Porsche Taycan) compare?

A lot of this stuff is over my head but I need to have a sense of the plusses and minuses.
..Tom
Some reading for you: Fig. 3. The ideal torque characteristic curves for the PMSM motor
Like I said, the actual torque curve depends on the control system and settings. When you're using a system with torque control then you set it to give you the desired curves in the desired ranges. That's a great thing about electric motors: even for a given type of motor you can tailor the output to suit your requirements by varying the drive system and software configuration. It's also a bit of a bugger from an industrial perspective because it means that you need to actually think about the setup if you've built something new or significantly modified something. Monkeys just slap in a motor and turn it on, and that can be fine so long as it gives you the behaviour you want/need, but it can also break things.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts