StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have to ask, and PLEASE dont take this the wrong way... I'm just very curious.

I've always been a sportbike owner and recently moved to a 2002 DL1000 STOCK (except for a PCIII) after reading about the cult like following they have. Everyone LOVES them.... except me (so far).

Ive spent days trying to find PC maps that will get rid of my stuttering, surging and burping at low rev's. To my amazement, EVERYONE seems to have this problem yet still can't say enough great things about their strom! What am I missing? My sportbikes had more power and ran WAY smoother. Yes, they weren't as comfortable on long rides but mechanically they seemed superiour. I want to like this bike but right now I'm ready to throw it off a cliff. Trying to ride around the city (which I have to once and a while) is next to impossible as the bike lurches, backfires, stutters etc. at low revs. I've recently tried the 501 pc map and it seemed to help (I'm still searching for a better map) but the bike still has a long way to go. Any help with the maps would be greatly appreciated. I want to join this vstrom bandwagon....

·
Registered
816 Posts
Can't help you with the PC, but my '06 runs much better after TB and TPS and having it remapped with a Yosh box. My '02 had similar issues, although not as bad as my '06. Sync the throttle bodies and set the TPS and see if it helps.

Also, are you trying to lug it too low? It's no sport bike, but runs better above 3500 rpm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TB = throttle bodies...
TPS = ?

Sorry, I'm new to this. Like I said, owned sportbikes and never had to worry about this stuff

·
Registered
816 Posts
Throttle Position Sensor

·
Registered
274 Posts
Interesting question, as I've been suffering newbike-itis recently. However, nothing I've test ridden gives me the fun that the Strom does. Really, the only problem I have with the Strom is the odd size front tire and better wind protection. I've never had a clutch chudder, and I just keep the RPMs above the 3000 range. I bought the bike because the ergonomics are great.

A few weeks back I went for a test ride on '02 Triumph Trophy, which has pretty similar ergos. The bike did what it did well, but just wasn't as fun as thr Strom.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The DL1000 doesn't seem to receive the same infatuation as the DL650 for reasons I do not personally understand. Weight, highish CG, who knows - it's just not the same bike as the classic SV-variant powered 650 which seems to please everyone.

For it's power output, the 1000cc model is probably a little lacking in handling and braking duties compared to true sport bikes and/or mature touring machinery, but with a little suspension improvement and better brake pads, the 650 is just the sweetest bike on the planet as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
your bike is ill

Ok, I have to ask, and PLEASE dont take this the wrong way... I'm just very curious.

I've always been a sportbike owner and recently moved to a 2002 DL1000 STOCK (except for a PCIII) after reading about the cult like following they have. Everyone LOVES them.... except me (so far).

Ive spent days trying to find PC maps that will get rid of my stuttering, surging and burping at low rev's. To my amazement, EVERYONE seems to have this problem yet still can't say enough great things about their strom! What am I missing? My sportbikes had more power and ran WAY smoother. Yes, they weren't as comfortable on long rides but mechanically they seemed superiour. I want to like this bike but right now I'm ready to throw it off a cliff. Trying to ride around the city (which I have to once and a while) is next to impossible as the bike lurches, backfires, stutters etc. at low revs. I've recently tried the 501 pc map and it seemed to help (I'm still searching for a better map) but the bike still has a long way to go. Any help with the maps would be greatly appreciated. I want to join this vstrom bandwagon....
your bike needs attention from a competent mechanic - don't beat yourself up trying to fix it - life is too short

·
Registered
14 Posts
Coming from my K1 GSXR 750 to my K6 DL1000-

Comfort.. Hands down... Better commuter obviously ( have Corbin saddle as well )
More suited for everyday needs/adventures ( Givi Monokey bags help and tank bag when needed )
Economy, she averages better then my 750 did. (V hits 41 low/47 high ) so no complaints on the fill up.

Overall, as was stated, jack of all trades, well rounded bike. I'm sure suspension upgrades will follow soon to fit me better, but as for now, she serves her purpose quite well. enjoy!

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Its the 1st hypermotard

I honk down tiny roads here in the northest faster than my Gixah 1K

I explore places and ride 500+ days

Its a crude tool but you have problems that can be fixed.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I DIDN'T love my 1000 (but i did like it)....
But i did/do love my 650's :thumbup::yesnod:
Steve

·
Registered
231 Posts
vee is the best bike i've spent my dollars on hands down but you do have to individualise it to suit your desire/style/demands. But at a fraction of the price of my harley mods.....

·
Registered
813 Posts
There's a lot of things I like about my Vee but the one at the top of the list is the places it's taking me. I've seen a lot of new places and some great country without really going outside a 200km raduis of my house - NZ may be small but I've still got a lot of country to explore.

Off to find some more back roads tomorrow...

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Riding it below 4K will never be satisfying. If that is an important place for you to ride, sell it now. The engine just does much better at 5K and above. Since I spent almost no time below 4K it never bothered me. Once you get used to it being there it just feels normal, never like the bike is straining to be there.

Why did I love it? Because it requires a rider to ride at a high level. Most anyone can get on the Vee and ride around. But if you want to push it hard through the twisties then the rider must have the skills to make it happen. The Vee will not do it for you. The rider is truly engaged and a critical part of the process when tackling technical roads.

This was not the case when I owned an FJR. Take an FJR into the same set of twisties at the same speed as a Vee and it's boring. The FJR just flies through with little effort and no excitement. You can make an FJR fun, but at much higher speeds than are needed on a Vee. I don't need or desire ridiculously high speeds. I'm a dad, and I need to keep my license. But I crave high adrenaline and the Vee delivers at lower speeds.

There is plenty to grumble about if you really want to. It's not the fastest and it's not the quickest turning, and it's definitely not the smoothest. But it is capable of so much if you build your skills to make it happen.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm working through the same issue. I'm spending the week riding the mountains of NC, SC, Georgia, and Tennessee. I rode Deals Gap yesterday and all the great roads that surround it. The Vee is active riding in hard twisties but lots of fun. Today will be more great roads in this area.

What's not so great is the 3500 rpm stutter. I've got a PC3 but it just arrived a day before I left and didn't feel comfortable making a big change right before a big trip. So its on the bike but not plugged in. I also ran the extended lines for the TBS but didn't get that done before the trip either. I did sync the secondaries and TPS. I didn't notice much difference there. I'm hoping the PC and TBS are the magic bullets.

If I decide to keep this bike I'll probably also add braided brake lines. But I've changed brake lines on almost all the bikes I've owned.

But riding this bike is fun and comfortable for long distances and that's what I was looking for.

Farkling is half the fun. And my Vee gets noticed just about everywhere I stop. That's different.

·
Registered
174 Posts
All stock and I hated the Vee. Gearing change from 17/41 to 16/41 and the PC5/Leo Vince upgrade transformed Vee to a smooth enjoyable motorcycle. This is what Suzuki had in mind before being strangled by EPA regs.

I love the very comfortable upright riding position. I love the responsive and strong power delivery. Compared to shaft drive alternate adventure tourers, I love the simplicity of chain drive with ease of gearing changes and never a concern that a final drive failure will leave me stranded in BFE. I love the reputation for reliability and ease of maintenance. I love the enormous selection of aftermarket items to convert my Vee into a fully equipped adventure tourer. I love the ease of modifying suspension to fit needs of any rider/load situation. I am pleased with knowledge that I have one of very best adventure tourers for less than half the cost of many others.

My first Strom was the Wee. A nice enough motorcycle that did not require anything to be an enjoyable ride. But the Wee was just too anemic for long term satisfaction so I moved on. I love knowing that I did not give up on Suzuki Stroms just because the Wee was lacking.

Providing that a potential Vee owner realizes up front that some minor work will be required and providing that they are willing to do required mods then the Vee is truly hard to beat.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Riding it below 4K will never be satisfying. If that is an important place for you to ride, sell it now. The engine just does much better at 5K and above. Since I spent almost no time below 4K it never bothered me. Once you get used to it being there it just feels normal, never like the bike is straining to be there.

Why did I love it? Because it requires a rider to ride at a high level. Most anyone can get on the Vee and ride around. But if you want to push it hard through the twisties then the rider must have the skills to make it happen. The Vee will not do it for you. The rider is truly engaged and a critical part of the process when tackling technical roads.

This was not the case when I owned an FJR. Take an FJR into the same set of twisties at the same speed as a Vee and it's boring. The FJR just flies through with little effort and no excitement. You can make an FJR fun, but at much higher speeds than are needed on a Vee. I don't need or desire ridiculously high speeds. I'm a dad, and I need to keep my license. But I crave high adrenaline and the Vee delivers at lower speeds.

There is plenty to grumble about if you really want to. It's not the fastest and it's not the quickest turning, and it's definitely not the smoothest. But it is capable of so much if you build your skills to make it happen.
Must take exception to most of this. A PROPERLY set-up DL1000 does not require any particular set of skills to be totally enjoyable. A PROPERLY set-up DL1000 does not require keeping RPMs above 4000. No question that the Vee hits its stride at 4000 and up but WITH PARTIAL THROTTLE the Vee will smoothly roll on from 3000. Just cannot grab a big hand full and expect a smooth take off. A PROPERLY set-up Vee in my opinion will have lower gearing and fuel programing mods.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I don't love mine, I just mearly tolerate it. I've put nearly 10K miles on it this year, but it is the most un-inspiring motorcycle that I've ever owned. It's great for putting miles on and commuting duties.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Must take exception to most of this. A PROPERLY set-up DL1000 does not require any particular set of skills to be totally enjoyable. A PROPERLY set-up DL1000 does not require keeping RPMs above 4000. No question that the Vee hits its stride at 4000 and up but WITH PARTIAL THROTTLE the Vee will smoothly roll on from 3000. Just cannot grab a big hand full and expect a smooth take off. A PROPERLY set-up Vee in my opinion will have lower gearing and fuel programing mods.
It all depends on how you ride. As I said, most anyone can ride around on a Vee. I've led enough Strom rides to know most people do not push their bikes. If gentle casual riding is all that's desired, then the Vee is as good as most any other generic bike. But if you want to hammer the throttle through mountain twisties then you are far better off with the RPMs in the 6,500 - 8,000+ range on the Vee. The bike is annoyingly sluggish below 4K if in this phase of riding. And if you are slamming that top heavy pig into a corner at speed, you better have the skills to see it through.

So yes, I agree you can gently roll on from 3K with little or no problem. But if all you care about doing is a gentle roll on why bother to have that lovely big engine sitting there? But that's my style...yours may varry.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts