StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always take the farkles off my bikes (when I can) and sell them on line when ever I sell a bike. It helps the bike sell faster, and all in all it seems I get more $$ back in the end.

With that said, I keep seeing so many selling their tricked out bike with all sorts of farkles.

When the day comes I sell my strom, I will take off the Remus, Top box, PCIII, and what ever else I have added by then.

What are your thoughts, do you take off or leave your farkles?

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Farkles

When ever possible, I remove the farkles that I have added and sell or use for next bike. Tradin with al lof the stuff on does not get you any nmore money, in fact probably less, because it is not "stock". Don't know why more folks don't remove before trading/selling. Maybe this thread will open their eyes.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just sold my 2000 KLR with 19K on it for $3800. It had:

Supertrap exhaust
K&N air filter
Punched out air box with filtered plugs
Rejetted carb
Ortleib dry saddle bags
Tank bag
Waterproof paniers
Carrier Deck for luggage
Aluminum skid plate
Brake cylinder guard
Acerbis hand guards
Crash Bars
Stainless Oil cap
Magnetic drain plug
Hyperlite brake light
Sealed gel battery

I still got a pretty good deal on the bike. It sold in 2 days off Craig's list. I used the money to turn around and get a Vstrom. So, I don't know if I could have made more money or not by taking the bike apart and trying to piece the stuff out. I just wanted to dump it quick and get the Strom. I am very happy with the DL650.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't think most guys are going to bother removing all that stuff, unless they know it will fit their next bike. And even then, a guy might decide he wants different farkles, another brand of crash bars, luggage, etc.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I sold my TL-R with a bunch of farkles on it for a decent price. I probably could have made almost a thousand more if I had parted the bike out. It would have taken up too much time to do so. If I had just de-farkled a few of the items (exhaust/rearsets/steering damper) I would have have not sold my bike for the price I got and may have even blocked the sale.

Also, I had patiently put that bike together over a period of time and sweat. It just would have felt wrong to destroy the canvas to salvage the paint.

But you are correct, I would have made many parts vultures happy and I would have made more $.

·
Registered
704 Posts
This is the same in any vehicle related hobby. Old cars are always worth more for the parts than they are as a complete project. You just have to have time and patience to get rid of it all. Don't ask me how I know, it hurts too much.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Check with dealerships on allowed money for "accessories" and you will be not so happily surprised.

I once worked for H-D where "accessories" are an entire world. When a bike came in on a trade, the only thing that was evaluated was the bike itself for condition and mileage. When a client told us there was $5000 of extra chrome on the bike, we would say, "Thank you!" However it did not add one iota to the value of the motorcycle.

Yes, you can make much more by taking a bike apart, farkle by farkle, but most folks don't have the desire to do that. When new bike time comes, we usually trade in our older bikes on new ones and take a large bath!

At least that is my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But this day and time, with so many message boards, you can take off and sell your farlkes without ever having to use e bay.

I just sold a spare set of carbs and a factory manual on svrider.com. Also sold a Apex paintball gun barrel on pbreview.com.

It is so easy. Ask for a money order, wait until it comes in, then ship.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Daddy-O,

Perhaps you, like me are a more value minded individual.

There are so many today that have never had to work for anything that they no longer appreciate what they have.

When I was raised, if we wanted something, we had to improvise or make it ourselves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts