StromTrooper banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
A little while back I met up with some friends and ex co-workers for a 60 mile lunch run to a nearby small town. All but me were riding cruisers. A variety of jap and American made, 6 or 7 of us total.
One guy who is actually a good guy but a bit full of himself and rides Harleys only made a snotty comment about my ADV jacket and gear. I responded “ I take my safety seriously, and I don’t own a pirate suit”
That was the end of that conversation.
I can find appreciation in most all bikes and if you like it, I’m happy for ya. I’ve tried cruisers and thought I’d like to have one, but never liked the riding position or the heavy weight....most comments I’ve had have been positive, and some cruisers guys ask questions because they see the advantages of a lighter, versatile motorcycle.
There’s an ass for every seat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"don't own a pirate suit". God I have to remember that for when needed. Also need to throw in a hardy har har.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, they are fancier bikes out there, however, not everyone needs a Ferrari and let alone want to pay for the "high maintenance" that normally goes hand in hand with exotic ownership. My 650 V-Strom is definitely a "keeper". It runs like a Rolls and I save 💰 What's not to like? Who cares what others think...😎

·
Registered
4 Posts
"Yet, I've had no fewer than 5 people yell obscenities or put my bike down! WTH?"

It's incredibly brazen to yell obscenities about someone else's bike. Likely for these folks, your bike is not the least of their problems. I envision them yelling obscenities about the bananas at the grocery store. Screaming at DOT employees, kicking their dog, you get the idea.

VStroms are great bikes and your bike is awesome looking. I love mine more every time I ride it. They just don't seem to generate a lot of excitement and seem to get looked over by people who have different wants/needs. I look at my VStrom as the Toyota Camry of motorcycles. I love lots of different bikes but I'll never feel bad about owning that 650. I once read an article where the author stated that people often over estimate their needs, he went on to say he'd love to see someone ride so much as a 125 to the full extent of it's capability. I think that is true of the VStrom and most bikes really. I'm consistently amazed what my strom can do, and in the hands of an expert I bet it would straight up rip! Enjoy it, let the hater, hate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not sure if it was a dis or a compliment. A conversation I had with a Harley cruiser chick I was riding with one day...

HD cruiser chick: "So, why BMW?".
Me: "BMW's are great bikes; have you ever ridden one?".
HD cruiser chick: "I haven't, what's that one (she points at my bike)?"
Me: "This is a 2014 Suzuki DL1000 Adventure"
HD cruiser chick: [Confused look].

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm not sure if it was a dis or a compliment. A conversation I had with a Harley cruiser chick I was riding with one day...

HD cruiser chick: "So, why BMW?".
Me: "BMW's are great bikes; have you ever ridden one?".
HD cruiser chick: "I haven't, what's that one (she points at my bike)?"
Me: "This is a 2014 Suzuki DL1000 Adventure"
HD cruiser chick: [Confused look].
yep they are clueless !

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
yep they are clueless !
Again, this is how you can tell a real motorcyclist from the other kind.
I have never owned a Harley-Davidson, but have had friends who did, and rode some of them occassionally. I'd be willing to bet I know more about HDs than the average harley rider knows about (insert brand name here).

·
Administrator
13,498 Posts
On the grand scheme of the motorcycle world V-Strom's are pretty insignificant. They are a very small part of the market (at least here in North America) and it is little wonder that people don't recognise it. I think the ones that say negatives about them (or about any other bike different from theirs) are usually just weekend warriors or posers.

If people think they know what is is the most often they think it's a BMW. To me that isn't a negative as for a lot of people the perception of the BMW is very positive. I'm impressed when someone actually knows what a V-Strom is!

I am surprised how many HD riders do come up to me and ask about it. These are not usually riders in a big Harley group but ones that are stopped having a coffee not part of any group. Often they are looking at getting one for themselves and comparing with BMW GS, Ducati and Triumph. Some already have the Ducati or Triumph (I don't recall any saying they had a BMW as well.) I rarely hear them mention the Yamaha S10, or the Honda Africa Twin.

Trying to put down other people's choice of bikes really speaks to ego problems of the speaker. (Good natured ribbing is a different thing.)

..Tom

·
Registered
220 Posts
I almost always get complements (to my face). Most of those are from people who are curious. When I do ride with friends people always walk to my bike and ask questions. One time in a group setting I had a guy start to go down Suzuki bashing road and before it got out of hand I just asked "how many miles do you have on your bike?" Everyone else in the group knew what the Strom can do. So that stopped any more bashing. I fell bad that two wheels are not a group. We should be able to differ on what bike, the best way to..... and even get into some fun bantering. But what I want is a group who would have back if I need it. I have helped others with other brands. Until then I will keep riding mine. Even sometimes look at the new shinny ones with a twinkle in my eye but then saddle up my Strom and go for another 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Again, this is how you can tell a real motorcyclist from the other kind.
I have never owned a Harley-Davidson, but have had friends who did, and rode some of them occassionally. I'd be willing to bet I know more about HDs than the average harley rider knows about (insert brand name here).
Oh, now this could be fun! Harley trivia! Let's see...what model year(s) was the XLCR produced?

Reactions: V-Tom

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
On the grand scheme of the motorcycle world V-Strom's are pretty insignificant. They are a very small part of the market (at least here in North America) and it is little wonder that people don't recognise it. I think the ones that say negatives about them (or about any other bike different from theirs) are usually just weekend warriors or posers.

If people think they know what is is the most often they think it's a BMW. To me that isn't a negative as for a lot of people the perception of the BMW is very positive. I'm impressed when someone actually knows what a V-Strom is!

I am surprised how many HD riders do come up to me and ask about it. These are not usually riders in a big Harley group but ones that are stopped having a coffee not part of any group. Often they are looking at getting one for themselves and comparing with BMW GS, Ducati and Triumph. Some already have the Ducati or Triumph (I don't recall any saying they had a BMW as well.) I rarely hear them mention the Yamaha S10, or the Honda Africa Twin.

Trying to put down other people's choice of bikes really speaks to ego problems of the speaker. (Good natured ribbing is a different thing.)

..Tom
Several years ago on the E side of Golden, CO 2 HD's were parked on the shoulder of the oncoming lane. I hung a U on my BMW to see if they could use some help. Both gave me dirty looks and were outright rude when I asked if they needed gas or any other help. One of the b--t h---s blurted out that some parts had fallen off and the one bike in their group that still ran had gone on a parts run. Rude, unappreciative and indignant toward me and my old unassuming BMW. I bit my tongue and simply waved bye. All bike groups have arses in them, Stroms included. I try to remember that, but not be one of them.

·
Registered
394 Posts
This has never happened to me. And I also like to ride in Latin America, and down there, this is a big bike, and people flock around it with compliments. LOL!

·
Registered
212 Posts
After reading all of these post and thinking about this topic, the following:

These days it seems people are not tepid. They seem to have strong feeling about most things, and in many different venues. Why this is, i could only guess. To the discussion starter, do not let it get to you. And to all others the same. It is just the way things are these days. Its not about the bike, its not about the boat, the yard, the car etc etc... but more about the person.

As an aside .... kinda of a funny saying.. " there are only a very few really nasty, ugly, rude, ignorant people..... now... they do tend to get around a lot".

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I've been riding 62+ years, seen all types of people, all models of bikes, gangs, rally goers, hotel/motel snobs. camping types, etc. We all make the world go around, and, despite what we think or ourselves, we are not different to others. In the end, we are so very lucky to ride motorcycles, travel a great Country in the US, or the rest of the World. Ride what you like, as will I. But have fun, be safe, and appreciate each other!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Oh, now this could be fun! Harley trivia! Let's see...what model year(s) was the XLCR produced?
I think it was 77-78. I wanted one, but as a young kid in the Navy there was no way I could afford it. If I could go back in a time machine with today's money I'd buy 3 or 4.

·
Registered
19 Posts
2018 1000XT here and the answer for me is simple.
I don’t care what others think and love the bike.

I’ve owned many Ducatis and BMWs over the years. I want to ride, not wait for the dealer to call saying “You're ready”
That’s why I purchased a V-Strom. Reliability.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
This sort of rudeness shouldn't really surprise anyone; we've been ramping up to it for the past 40 years or so. It even predates the internet, with the appearance of shock talk radio, although the internet pretty much pulled out all the control rods from the reactor of civility. Screaming your opinions into other peoples' faces has become the accepted standard for how tough and strong you are, and the public seems to love it. The public laps that garbage up from our politicians, pundits, sports figures, actors, and every other public figure. We admire people who "shoot from the hip", and "don't pull any punches", which is just doublespeak for "he has no idea how to frame his argument without acting like a hypercaffeinated child who had a toy taken away". There's no such thing as simply having a difference of opinion any more; now a difference of opinion has to be accompanied by frothing rage and death threats.

Remember when you were a kid in elementary school and there was always that one kid who would bully people and then throw tantrums when he didn't get his way? And how we all used to think how pathetic those kids were?

Yeah...well, we ended up putting those people in charge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's my bike, without the big boot and with an Airstream windscreen - and I love it. For what I ride and the way I ride now, it is the perfect bike for me, so I don't worry too much about what anyone else thinks. I've always thought it was a good looking bike, and when I ride with my brother-in-law on his GS800 and can't keep up........... Problem is, now he has the 800 Tiger, and I'm not sure I can walk away so easily.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts