StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 V-Strom. I LOVE IT! We have fun. Who cares!

Yet, I've had no fewer than 5 people yell obscenities or put my bike down! WTH?

What's with the hate? Any of you experienced this? I had someone tell me " Why did you buy a bike with no balls?". Yet, I consistently leave people at the stop line...

So, is this more "adventure-type bike" hate or ? Ultimately, I don't give AF, but I think it is...curious.

Oh, and I LOVE THIS FORUM. I've read my eyes bloody on all the good articles!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yeah I get that too on a '15 XT. Lots of drivers, usually the compensating sportscar/ eBay WRX crowd, howling about my "little" bike and how dumb it is, how I shoulda bought a CBR/Gixer. Then I show 'em the 4-flat 0-60 time which their $30k+ car can't come near. Then they get all grumpy (when they actually stop to talk, they get even more growly after I mention $50 cost for a 350 mi day trip including gas and breakfast. Fifty-plus MPG is a lovely thing.) For a "gutless" bike of ~70 horse, she can put most sportscars in their place. Funny enough, a lot of the Harley/cruiser crowd wave and compliment me at stop lights!

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Same reason some Vstrom riders diss other brands?! (shrug) Some people are not secure enough and need to help their self esteem by running down something. Or...it could be that it is truly a bit ugly 🤣

What I get a kick out of is people who diss other bikes/cars/etc without having any first hand knowledge of them. Probably a product of the information age and people living in an echo chamber.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've had my vstrom a little over a year, never had anyone diss it. Even squids and Harley riders seem to accept anybody on 2 wheels. Of course, Oregon's pretty laid back....

·
Registered
370 Posts
I was simply disinterested in Stroms. I certainly didn't like the look of them. I still don't.

About three years ago I knew that sooner or later I would have to part with my former Triumph 1200 Explorer because it was too heavy for me two up at age 68. So what would I get instead ? I wouldn't own a BM for various reasons. KTM's no longer lit my fire for a couple of reasons. Obviously Triumph triples were no longer an option for reasons above, albeit I love the triple motors. I tried the big Honda and again it was too heavy. The Yamaha Tracer had been tried but the motor was too frantic for my liking. The last one standing was the Super Tenere and that would have been considered even though it was as heavy as the Triumph, but carried its weight much better. I had a dilemma and I knew that sooner or later I would have to chose something but still I wasn't even considering the Strom.

A Friend had purchased a 2018 XT as soon as they appeared, and every time I met up with Him he pestered me to take a ride on it. I am never keen on riding other folks bikes, but eventually one day just to get him off my back I took the bike for a short spin. I rode it across some mountain roads that I know well. They are bumpy and twisty and overall a good test of suspension and handling at speed. Hmmmmm.

I handed Brian back his bike at the end of the spin. Y'all know the outcome. I knew there and then that I would have to consider this really good motorcycle regardless of its godawful appearance. Time came to part with the Triumph and by then I knew that the Strom would be first in line. The next test would have to be with the Wife on board. She liked it too and indeed prefers the Strom perch to the Triumph because She has greater protection from wind blast. I did a deal on a new left over 2016 which I still have and plan to keep for a very long time.

So, in summary I would say never dismiss any motorcycle without a thorough try out. Don't let looks deceive. Underneath that odd looking skin there could be lurking a very good motorcycle, and in this case that is absolutely true of the VStrom.

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
I have had the same experience as the others who have chimed in - nothing but compliments from bikers, cagers and others for my '14 1000. I respect anyone that rides, regardless of the brand or model. We are all in this together, and need to have each other's backs- especially in this crazy world. If anyone would spew crap regarding my bike or anything else for that matter - I would mutter "thank god I don't live with them" and leave it at that.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Over the years I have had nothing but complements or people seriously interested in them.
Same, only owned it since the fall, but the same
Wife likes the look as do I, bro's GF called it a "crotch rocket", can't tell her shit so I nodded

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had my 650 for about 5 years now and have been on many trips and rides with many types of bikes and have never gotten anything except for complements. Its not any different from cars I suppose, different strokes for different folks!

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I never met a motorcycle I hated but on occasion I run across riders I didn't care for.

As far as leaving people at the "line" I love when I am 1st at a red-light and a motorcycle, gigantic 4WD Diesel with a 6 " stack or a tuner pulls up beside me. All I do is look over slip the clutch and rock the front wheel a time or two and the race is on. As soon as the light turns green I pull way normally while my opponent inevitably floorboards the big pedal and screams away acting like they are at the drag strip and there is $10,000 dollars worth of prize money waiting for the winner. Best is if you meet at the next light and do it all again. Usually by the 3rd light they wise up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
While taking a break at a gas station the other day, a lady yelled across the parking lot that she "liked the color" of my bike. Suzuki does have a great blue, car companies should copy it. Anyway, she asked what it was as she walked into the store so I told her a "Suzuki V-Strom" to which she replied "that'll do." I kinda got the feeling she was into the cruiser bike scene, but she didn't dis my Asian ride and told me to have fun on her way back to her car.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it. I ride for myself, on the bike that fits my needs and riding style.
Balls? If 70 HP isn't enough it's on the rider to get some training and develop some skills. I ride a lot with the American Legion, about 99% HD cruisers, many with upgrades like Screanin' Eagle and other speed parts. But when we hit the twisties I have to be careful not to rear end somebody. OTOH, I also ride with a buddy who is a motorcycle cop, Harley bagger with a good suspension upgrade. He's a hard rider to keep up with in the twisties. Skills.

·
Administrator
16,825 Posts
I've overwhelmingly gotten compliments and curiosity about my Stroms over the years from riders and non riders, but yes some of the snobbish brand loyal ADV bike owners look down on our cheap "poser" Toyota Camry like motorcycles. Have however had a few ahole folks say......."buy a real motorcycle, get a Harley", but I just smile and say "I prefer to ride over pretending to ride". :)

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
.................edited to make an irrelevant post..... look down on our cheap "poser" Toyota Camry ...............
I should know better. I am not really into racing from lights. Or fast cars. I grew out of that years ago, I thought. I bought my "poser Camry" from a guy at work, who's mom went in a nursing home, to use as my work car. It was cheap, low miles, and by luck of the draw it was a sport model. Sixteen inch wheels, stiff suspension, big brakes, 5 sp auto, the 3.0 VVT engine, spoilers, and best of all, a "conservative" rear factory WING.:cool:

I had taken my wife to the grocery and when I turned out onto the road for home, this A hole in a Lexus SUV follows me out of the lot and tailgates me. I am in the fast lane because shortly after the next light, the road narrows from 4 lanes to 2 lanes, and stays 2 lanes all the way home.:devilish:

SUV guy, with his wife in tow also, pulls to my right in the slow lane. I am pretending not to notice that this schmuck is going to jump the light and cut me off. My wife was oblivious.:sneaky: Light goes green, he punches it, and I let him get about a car length on me as I pulled away normally, then I stuck my foot through the radiator. Three red line shifts later, SUV guy is getting a view of my "badass" wing. My wife knows me well enough to just smile. She is a keeper. There was enough oncoming traffic that the Lexus had to follow me for ten minutes at 5 MPH over the speed limit. He quit tailgating me.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts