StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just over 1000 miles on my new 2011 Weestrom. I have owned mostly sportbikes in the past (one cruiser, never again), so the dual sport type tyres are new to me. I was really concerned about the Trailwings not being sticky enough for me on pavement as I like to corner fairly hard. I have heard/read for years how the "Deathwings" are horrible tires and should be changed immediately. I have found just the opposite. They handle very well on the Wee if the tire pressures are kept up. They allow me to lean the bike until the pegs scrape and feel plenty sticky and secure doing so. I've only ridden them once in the rain, but they seemed to do fine. I understood that they wouldn't be the best on dirt, but I find them to be ok there too as long as you understand their limits.

So why the hate for them? Are the other tires like Anakees and Tourances, etc. that much better? If so, they must be incredible. I think the Trailwings are a good fit for the Weestrom and can handle anything that I need the bike to do.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
People buy these 500 lb. bikes marketed as dual-sport.

They take them out in the dirt with MX dreams and crash.

Naturally, the tire is at fault.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
People buy these 500 lb. bikes marketed as dual-sport.

They take them out in the dirt with MX dreams and crash.

Naturally, the tire is at fault.
+1

I had nothing against their handling, only that the rear died at 7400 miles - at bit too soon for my expectations.
The new Anakee II rear tire is great, but I cannot say so far it is way better than the original Trailwing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The trailwings are okay. They do not offer great off-road + wet traction.
That being said they are okay for pavement and most firetrails if not extreme.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I have no problem with Trailwings, have been through several sets and will prolly use them again. I've also used Tourances, Battlewings, Shinkos, and Pilot Roads.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The trailwings are okay. They do not offer great off-road + wet traction.
I think the only tire that would offer good traction in those circumstances would be a large knobby tire like a TKC 80 or similar. I have really enjoyed being able to explore the dirt and gravel roads on the Wee. Someday I may mount something like the TKC's and get a little friskier off road. For now the Trailwings serve their purpose fine for the roads I ride in the Jefferson and Cherokee NAtional forests.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
On the front, I have been very happy with the trail wing, I have run a Tourance and a Shinko, neither wore as long as the TW....

current trail wing is great in almost any condition short of slick mudd...

·
Registered
899 Posts
I'm new to the Trailwings also. On Easter weekend, ended up in a bit of snow with our group. Trailwings felt comfortable, while others complained about squirming around. So far, I'm quite happy with them also.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Recently did about 40 miles of dirt road with sand, gravel, etc on the TW's and they performed very well. Even without airing down.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think the only tire that would offer good traction in those circumstances would be a large knobby tire like a TKC 80 or similar. I have really enjoyed being able to explore the dirt and gravel roads on the Wee. Someday I may mount something like the TKC's and get a little friskier off road. For now the Trailwings serve their purpose fine for the roads I ride in the Jefferson and Cherokee NAtional forests.
I agree 100%

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I skipped out of work early Friday and rode down to Mountain City, TN and back up to Princeton, WV. Some of my favorite roads down that way. Only rode the short stretch of gravel on Rt. 91 near Broadford, VA. All other riding was on pavement. The Trailwings seemed to love being pushed on Rt. 421 from Mtn. City to up near Abingdon, VA!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I think the only tire that would offer good traction in those circumstances would be a large knobby tire like a TKC 80 or similar.
I found a nice compromise between off-pavement traction and on-pavement longevity in a TKC-80 on the front and a Tourance out back. The TKC-80 helps to plant the heavy front end in gravel and dirt.

I often dreamed about having a spare front rim on which to keep a TKC-80 and switch out for a particular ride.

By the time the TKC was about 2/3rd worn, I was ready for a bike that didn't ride like a truck on the road and switched back to a front Tourance.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I commute daily year-round. I found that the TWs did not offer the wet grip I wanted and had a few :yikes::yikes: moments. Changed to Battlax BT021 (020 in front), and it was a LOT better. Friday I am getting some Pilot road 3's, and by all accounts they are great in wet weather.

Also, I had the handlebars shake with the TW's, nothing what so ever as soon as I took them off.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Also, I had the handlebars shake with the TW's, nothing what so ever as soon as I took them off.
I've handlebar shake with Trailwings, Tourances, TKC-80's and Shinkos.

I was close to getting Pilots when a Cadillac intervened.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is also my first experience with Trail Wings too after always being on a road bike, that said they don't inspire confidence in the wet and I've had the front step out a few times. In the dry, they are great and I've managed to get a fair angle out of the tires.
Done a few unsealed roads and can't fault the TW on those types of roads.
Have just over 14000 kms and both front and back will need replacing soon.
Prob go with PR3 over the course of the winter months as I won't do too much dirt stuff.
Trying really hard not to go OT and becoming another farken tyre thread.

So in answer to the op. yep, I'd use them again. Don't hate them, they have grown on me a bit I think.

Cam

·
Registered
78 Posts
So far 4.5k on TW (new 2011 wee), and I'm very happy with it. It seems like I can get 12k minimum on TW. I'm 200lb with all gears and I ride pretty easy.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've been through two sets of Trailwings and two of Metzler Tourances.

The TWs were ok, but the front tires particularly wore oddly. 45 lbs of pressure reduced, but didn't eliminate the problem. The Tourances have done just fine with Suzuki recommended pressures, and while a bit more expensive, have lasted longer.

My riding is 90% street.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I liked my TW's okay, but the rear tire wore out pretty fast--otherwise, good. There are plenty of better alternatives for similar or less money--my favorites so far were Kenda Cruzers. Cheap, but good miles and good handling. I got a deal on some Conti Trail Max's and I like em.

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
...I have heard/read for years how the "Deathwings" are horrible tires and should be changed immediately. I have found just the opposite. They handle very well on the Wee if the tire pressures are kept up. They allow me to lean the bike until the pegs scrape and feel plenty sticky and secure doing so. I've only ridden them once in the rain, but they seemed to do fine. I understood that they wouldn't be the best on dirt, but I find them to be ok there too as long as you understand their limits...
That was my experience also, had zero issues with them. However, since I rarely do any dirt riding on the Strom (and then only on well maintained dirt roads) I've gone to Pilot Road 3s, which I absolutely love.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts