StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't recall this happening before. Is this normal and I just didn't notice, or is there something else going on? (like stator or R/R)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Aging battery I would assume... If you have the original in your 07.. it is going to be due for a replacement soon. From what I hear a good battery should be ok for 4-5 years, which is almost time for an 07.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
A stock Strom electrical system will commonly output a volt or more less at idle than at running rpm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's true of other bikes too. My honda VTR does the same thing. I rev it a couple of time and immediately the headlight brightens up with the revs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree with battery assessment, it should be making up for loss of voltage due to lower RPMs by tapping into its storage, but it isn't. Do a quick voltage check across battery idling, revving and turned off and that will tell the whole story. I don't disagree that there may be no problem at all. Some level of dimming should be expected. If the bike still starts fine, I would wait and see if it gets worse.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. It's probably normal and I just never noticed it before. I will check voltages anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Check the terminals at the battery for corrosion. That's a common cause of voltage drop across the system.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
I recall reading somewhere that dimming headlights is one of the first symptoms of a battery in bad health.
Dimming headlights is a symptom of low voltage in the system. The reason for that low voltage can be caused by a number of things, one of which is a failing battery. Mine used to do it from time to time due to corrosion on the terminals, which is why I mentioned that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts