StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is the low idle raised to 1200rpm instead of 7-800. This calls for more clutch slipping at low speeds when doing the stop and go traffic thing, which we all get caught in some times and all also hate it.

thoughts from any tech guys out there?

Does it have to do with water pump speed and min water flow OR charging rate at a lower sidle speed?

Gotta be some reason for it.

Thanks
d-dog

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
It is partially due to this "NOT" being a cruiser V twin engine. It is a 90 degree liquid cooled piece of asswhip! TOTALLY different designed engine from cruisers and other twins. Look at Ducati's, Aprilia's, Honda RC51, TL1000R, Stroms etc.......they all have a higher idle speed than other bikes. If you lower your idle below specs, you will kill your engine constantly. It will stall at stops, and not run very well in general.

I am sure that there are technical reasons for the higher idle speed......I don't concern myself with it! :wink: Look at it this way...it is the spec from the manufacturer, that is actually a good one.

Like Nike says....just do it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Dog
I don't know that you would understand it if I explained it, so just set your idle where ever you want it. :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Dirty Dog, the idle speed is probably a result of engine design parameters. Flywheel effect from the weight of moving or rotating parts combined with the Cam shaft design to allow for proper engine breathing. The engine breathing at a very low RPM would not allow for proper fuel mixing and exhaust flow. Other factors such as oil pump speed and water pump speed would be important also. Hmmm, another factor would be the shaft speeds in the tranny at idle. Just go with the manual for idle speed.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Come on Mortaine, dazzle us.

Us bumpkins 'l dew wut we kan 2 unnerstan ya.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you set your idle much lower than 1100 you will find your engine stalling when you stop at lights. I've noticed a lot of posts about "My bike died..." that raising the idle was the fix. Set it where you want, if it stalls, you know the fix.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Heavy said:
Us bumpkins 'l dew wut we kan 2 unnerstan ya.
Well heavy I'll give you credit ( At least you know, the problem)
:lol:
It amazes me that some of you will spend countless minutes typing answers to someone that has no idea of how a piece of machinery works, yet when someone ask a question regarding a subject that can get someone hurt or killed some of you turn a blind eye and entertain yourselves making fun of his method of explaining himself. There are books written on the subject of this question, let them go read the information for themselves. However if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy to attempt to enlighten these people with your words of witt and or vast knowledge type away. I see you did not attempt to answer the question is it possible that even you don't know the answer, or like me you felt the answer would fall on deaf ears. Thank you for the entertainment, remember if you let the child stick the hair pin in the wall socket the lesson will be remembered forever. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The views expressed here are not necessarily those of the typist, they are often edited to be more politically correct in an attempt to be less offensive to tender feelings

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
um...was that supposed to be an explaination of why we can't set our idle down to 800 rpm? I guess I really am stupid. I didn't understand it at all.

Come on Mortaine. You're so G-D smart you should be able to convey the gist of the reason to us. Go for it, enlighten us with your wisdom, dazzle us with your brilliance, but don't tell us to go read it in some book. Any A-hole can do that. That's the easy way out.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
um...was that supposed to be an explaination of why we can't set our idle down to 800 rpm? I guess I really am stupid. I didn't understand it at all.

Come on Mortaine. You're so G-D smart you should be able to convey the gist of the reason to us. Go for it, enlighten us with your wisdom, dazzle us with your brilliance, but don't tell us to go read it in some book. Any A-hole can do that. That's the easy way out.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
ROFLMFAO

Hats off to ya Heavy!!!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
D-Dog - just my $.02

I hope you have engine guards on your Strom. Yer gonna need them if you lower your idle to 800 rpm and try to start in 1st with a left hand turn thru an intersection.

This is not a V-Twin "cruiser" - it's a high-revving, V-Twin "SPORTBIKE" engine. It's meant to get railed on, and revved up high. Please read some of the posts here on the site... It's been proven time and time again that the 1k HATES to be lugged and under-revved. It is the worst possible way to drive this bike. Instead, many of us like to gear it differently, by adding a +2 43 tooth sprocket to get the engine running in the "proper" rpm range of 4000-7000 all the time, instead of lugging it around at 2500-3500.

But, uhhhh, like I said. Hope you got some engine guards on that thing. And flush mount turn signals. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts