StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed out for the East Coast from WY on the DL650 yesterday, but didn't quite go as I'd planned...

I was heading up the mountains, and enjoying the winding corners as I climbed the pass. Having a great time! But then, I screwed up...

I came out of a tight right-hander dragging the peg the whole way through, and entered the next corner - a left - a bit too hot. I knew it was a decreasing-radius turn, but I thought I had it nailed...unfortunately, this proved to be incorrect.

As the turn tightened up, I realized I was cooking on higher heat than I'd bargained for. Knowing that it was way too late to scrub speed, I kept steady on the throttle and just went for it. I was consciously thinking "Stay on it, just ride it out..." and it worked - almost.

At the tightest part, my back tire crossed the white line and found some sand left over from the last snowstorm. Of course it washed out, putting me into a left-leaning skid. I stayed with it, hoping that I could ride it out dirtbike-style, which worked great - until I got fully back on the pavement and ran out of sand, at which point the back tire hooked back up and I promptly highsided over to the right. :headbang:

My riding gear did it's job admirably, and I walked away without a scratch. Can't say enough how impressed I am with it. Aerostitch CBT boots, Darien jacket pants, Shark RSF3 helmet and Olympia gloves. The jacket is scuffed on the left shoulder - my primary point of impact - but not worn anywhere near through. That nylon is tougher than it looks.

The boots took a fair bit of abuse, they have been scuffed and ground down a good bit but are still very serviceable. I've had them for 5 years, and expect to get 5 more out of them.

The helmet doesn't LOOK too bad - my Sena bluetooth took the brunt of the impact - but of course it will be replaced. It took a good smack to the chinbar. Had I been wearing a half helmet, I might need a new face.

The bike on the other hand... :frown5:

The Givi crashbars did well, and largely saved the side panels. The front end is a bit of a mess otherwise though.

Fairing, meter surround, headlight, and front fender are all rashed and in the case of the fender, cracked as well. The headlight isn't cracked, just rashed on one corner.

The windshield is broken, the bracket looks OK.

Left handlebar is snapped right off. Handguards are scuffed, but not too much worse than they were before (they came off a bike that was down anyway). Mirrors are also scuffed badly.

Now the big one - it's hard to tell for sure without pulling off the forks, but the right fork leg looks bent back. :headbang: That's $700/side from Suzuki.

Insurance is coming to have a look on Monday, we'll see how that goes. Meanwhile, I'm just happy that I'm unhurt. And maybe I've learned the hard way to take it easier in the twisties. Slowing down a bit could save my ass someday.

How I could have avoided the crash:

1. Slow the F*** down. I went in way too hot. Haven't ridden this road in 2 years, I don't know it THAT well and taking it easy the first time through for the season would have made all the difference.

2. Look through the corner. I noticed the sand before I hit it, which means to me that I wasn't looking as far through the corner as I needed to be. Given that my peg was dragging due to excessive speed, would it have made enough difference? Could I actually have turned any tighter? Dunno, but it was a mistake nonetheless.

Wear the gear guys, and ride on. Accept that you will more than likely have a pavement encounter someday and be prepared for it.

I'm off to have another read through the thread "what to replace a v-strom with". :thumbup:

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Good writeup.
Glad you're ok.

I always take unknown twisties (as in "not on a racetrack") with caution.
To me, that means the following:
- Minimize the lean angle by hanging off.
- Enter the corner two gears lower than I plan on exiting it.
- Adjust my entry speed to no more than 70% of what I think it should be (or the speed limit if I have no idea); It's easier to accelerate than to slow down in a turn.

Corner entry speed is mostly irrelevant; it's how fast you come out that counts.
"Slow in, fast out; fast in, no out"

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow, you're fortunate you're not hurt. Safety gear is simply priceless and thank goodness you were wearing it.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sure the lessons you learned will help you be a better, safer rider.

I really am glad you're all right. Good luck with the insurance company.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Headed out for the East Coast from WY on the DL650 yesterday, but didn't quite go as I'd planned...
So sorry to hear about your mishap and so glad you came through it ok. Thanks for sharing what happen. Sometime that's not always easy to do.

I too am leaving on cross country trip on my Wee from Tennessee to California in the next couple of weeks and your experience is a good reminder to slow down. We some times rush ourselves for no reason and take unnecessary chances. I know I'm guilty of pushing it sometimes too.

Best of luck to you and hope you try that trip again sometime soon.

Donnie

·
Registered
15,601 Posts
Well, my late morning arm chair vicarious needs have been placated. Now I know exactly what NOT to do. Don't ride places I'm unfamiliar with at exuberant rates.
And, more importantly don't report myself as being number one on the Darwin Award list. :green_lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I, too, thank you for sharing your story. I had a similar mishap a couple of years ago and chose to lowside slide. I don't know if that was the right answer but, having been there, I can really appreciate your analysis of your train of events. Looks to me like you were thinking clearly. This is a good warning for me.

So glad you're okay.

WW

·
Registered
325 Posts
Stop what you're doing, go into the bathroom now, and pull that wild hair out of your butt! It's gonna get you killed.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thanks for sharing your mishap and glad it wasn't worse.

Today I got in the mood for a quick ride and didn't want to bother with the boots. Then I thought about reading your story this morning and went "what the hell, it won't take but a minute". I do get tired of all the damn gear just for a short ride, but I'd sure feel like a fool getting a foot crushed because I'm too lazy to protect them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for sharing the story. Through the discussion we can all learn a little. :yesnod:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for sharing your mishap and glad it wasn't worse.

Today I got in the mood for a quick ride and didn't want to bother with the boots. Then I thought about reading your story this morning and went "what the hell, it won't take but a minute". I do get tired of all the damn gear just for a short ride, but I'd sure feel like a fool getting a foot crushed because I'm too lazy to protect them.
Good on ya! The boots saved my feet (both of them, actually) yesterday. Well worth the extra couple seconds to throw 'em on.

As for trying the trip again - definitely. I'd like to roll by next weekend, but the one after is probably more reasonable given that I'm bikeless at the moment. Street-bikeless I should say - but I don't relish a 5k mile trip on DR-Z.

I'm looking at some options right now. Top of the list: Tiger 1050 ABS. This thing just ticks all the right boxes for me, and there's a nice example in NYC for a nice price. Cheap fly and ride from WY, and I wanted to go to the east coast anyway.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Glad you're alright man. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
It took a good smack to the chinbar. Had I been wearing a half helmet, I might need a new face.
A reminder every moto pilot should heed........

Glad you're OK - and remember, if money can fix it, it's really not that much a problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Trip is happening after all, just a little different than originally intended.

I'm flying into NYC and purchasing a Tiger 1050 ABS from a nice fellow on ADV, all set up and ready to travel. :hurray: After that, I'll head to VT to visit friends and fam, and then head back across the plains to WY on my new ride.

I'm excited...I'd been contemplating making a move to something more, well, interesting than the 650 - plus I've wanted a bike with ABS for a while. Not a necessity in my book, but nice to have and I'm glad to be picking up a bike that has it.

Anyone here have the big Tiger? How do you like it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also: new Shark RSI helmet ordered. $107 on closeout at bikebandit...can't beat that. I liked my RSF3 a lot in the 3500 miles I got to enjoy it, and the RSI is supposedly similar but better venting.

The rest of the gear is in great shape, and ready to do it again...though hopefully it won't have to.

On a side note - the Sena bluetooth headset is surprisingly tough. It took a worse beating than the rest of the helmet, and still works great. I guess it has character now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hope the RSI fits. I bought one after having tried on one of the older models in a store. Had to send it back. The chin bar and cheak pads were too up in my face, IE my chin was on the chin bar. Ordered a RSF3 and it fits much better. Just wanted to warn you that they don't quite fit the same.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
The rest of the gear is in great shape, and ready to do it again...though hopefully it won't have to.
Glad to hear that the gear and you withstood your track-riented street riding.
Enjoy a nice relaxing ride home from back East.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yikes!

Sounds like you really know your bike. I'm glad you walked away from your incident as well as you did. I had a similar experience on my '06 this weekend. Had been nailing turns all morning on the Blue Ridge Parkway, hanging off and working the full tread on the tire. I went into one too hot and just totally forgot what I was doing. I ended up in the grass around the outside of a leftie. I got it whoa'd up before running out of pavement, so I rode it through the grass and back onto pavement. :yikes: Stopped and changed my shorts at the bottom of the hill.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts