StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
ABS and MORE ELECTRICAL OUTPUT. I wouldn' t turn down an 1100. A few more ponies would be nice, but, more juice and ABS would put it in the running with the FJR/BMW/etc.

The 2007 1050 Tiger has ABS listed as an option. That has a good chance of being the next bike - a smoother Ulysses with ABS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi
Just my tuppence worth. having recently bought an 03 registered 04 1000 I feel the bike does the touring angle very well and in great comfort. I bought and accessorised the bike for £4250 with only 3500 miles on it. It is in pristine condition. Bikes are pricey here so an 03 pan makes £7500 to £8000, an 04 1200 GS with 15000+ miles is £8000. The V is relatively good value in this company and apart from not having lowers does very much the same job in the real world.

In N Ireland sport bikes are king and this is indeed a British Isles thing. However more are realising that these dual purpose or traillie type bikes can meet a riders needs. Mainland europe the v and wee are very popular. Just look at the German e bay to see the variety of accessories being produced compared to the uk equivalent.

i think a centre stand should be standard but Honda also do not supply it on either of their adventure bikes as standard.

Tallking to my local Suzuki dealer the wee is a very safe bet for the future and selling steadily but the v is not destined to survive. Like my bike it is not uncommon here at least to find a bike registered the following year as it has remained in the show room. This is unfortunate and possibily unique to our sportsbike culture here in ni.

I don't beleive there needs to be a great deal more power and am not keen in this across the board rise in capacity. Although the marketing men will follow each other and dictate the future. I find with a tre fitted and secondaries removed this bike develops more than enough power for my ability and the roads i use daily.

What i would like to see is a loss of weight, for instance the standard cans are unnecessarily heavy and i am sure there could be further dietry efforts from Suzuki. All in all I am very impressed and although i looked at a Honda varadero and found it an excellent bike it was too heavy and did not like the low speed maneuvering. Ah good I have got that off my chest!

regards to all
Jak

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am with Big B. Big bikes don’t suck up as much gas as you think! My 1700 cc Roadstar gets in the mid 40 and another Roadie rider I trust got 51 mpg going to Sturgis on the super ribbon. Mpg depends greatly on where these bikes are ridden; they’re mostly (took mine on a loose gravel road once won't do that again!) on smooth pavement and turning low rpm at 70mpg( don’t know how low they don’t have a tac!). I was not surprised that my Wee got about the same mpg as the Roadstar even with nearly 1100cc's more! Wingadingydingy, up down up down left right left right vs thumpathumpa straight straight sweeper sweeper!

·
Registered
188 Posts
The rugged off-road look is important, but actually off-road capability is not.
:lol: just like the whole SUV market. "Ready to meet the urban jungle" with your smog making SUV you can only park in handicap parking cause it's so wide... :twisted: :lol:
I like my wee for it's ease of low speed control, high gas mileage, low insurance costs and comforts. And also because i pay less for my licenses since the engine is below 700 cc. So i would not like to see the Wee going for a bigger engine.

Personally, I'd love to see Suzuki do a DL650 Adventure with a wire-spoke wheels, a high front fender, a taller suspension with 2 extra inches of travel front and rear, an extra 2 gallons of fuel, TKC80 knobby tires, and factory bash plates and crash protection.
What's the advantages of a wire-spoke wheel?

·
Registered
72 Posts
belt drive.

The belt drive would be very good!!! My harley has 80,000 miles on the same belt with about 4-5 adjustments in that time. This 800 needs to look like the Highland!

Not me.......keep the Wee the way it is, and come out with an 800 cc Strom, that pumps out about 110 hp, and has a belt drive like the Buell. Suzuki needs to come out with a bike that can compete with the FJR, ST1300, Z14 Concours and BMW's. They are REALLY screwing the pooch by not getting into this category IMHO.

I disagree that the 1000 is just adequate, cause It can cruise with the best of "any bikes" on the superslab, and not even break a sweat.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
The belt drive would be very good!!! My harley has 80,000 miles on the same belt with about 4-5 adjustments in that time. This 800 needs to look like the Highland!
I was under the impression ( maybe wrongfully ) that Belt drives were not favored in the Dirt/ gravel as they tended to get picked up on the belt & cause premature failure:???: ?
:-D However the Idea of even 50,000k on a drive belt would be great!!!:-D

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
I was under the impression ( maybe wrongfully ) that Belt drives were not favored in the Dirt/ gravel as they tended to get picked up on the belt & cause premature failure:???: ?
:-D However the Idea of even 50,000k on a drive belt would be great!!!:-D
If you read about some of the posts from Buells that have been off road, they have had problems with mud in the cogs of the pullys making the belts slip. The mud fills the teeth and the belt slides over the top.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
I love the idea of belt drive. Also, with a bit of a displacement increase and correspondingly lower rpm limit, Suzuki could incorporate hydraulic valve adjusters to eliminate that maintenance chore. That would nearly make the V-Strom maintenance free.

1100-1200cc, 8,500 rpm redline, or thereabouts

Belt drive

hydraulic valve adjusters

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not me.......keep the Wee the way it is, and come out with an 800 cc Strom, that pumps out about 110 hp, and has a belt drive like the Buell. Suzuki needs to come out with a bike that can compete with the FJR, ST1300, Z14 Concours and BMW's. They are REALLY screwing the pooch by not getting into this category IMHO.

I disagree that the 1000 is just adequate, cause It can cruise with the best of "any bikes" on the superslab, and not even break a sweat.

BELT DRIVE!
You got to be kidding.
Have you ever seen what dirt and stones do to belt drive?
They are fine for street bikes but if you ever intend to ride even mild off road,
stick with chain or shaft.
I own a H-D after mkt. and custom shop as well as Suzuki/Honda dealership so have seen the wrath of dirt on a belt.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Can't see anything wrong with the 1000 TBH. Quick enough for road riding whilst slow enough not to be (too) dangerous. Maybe a shaft would be cool.

Get caught doing 130 + over here and you're looking at 6 months in jail. Couldn't really do that given my trade! Don't fancy "Pass the soap, copper." :twisted:

·
Registered
115 Posts
They can't build a bike that will make everyone happy. Doesn't matter what they build there will always be some wanting more/less/different.

·
Registered
765 Posts
S83 is dead on.

You boys have just build 10 or 12 new bikes here under the V-Strom badge. :)

Changes cost big $ if they are to be right.

I have never had an excelleration problem or lack of low end torque. But I'm not doing 120 mph and trying to pass another vehicle wishing I had more power.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Take a look at your DL1000 and tell me how you would change a belt in the field.
With the frame rail on the outside, it would require back wheel and swingarm removal.
Be careful what you wish for. It may come true.

Carl

·
Registered
343 Posts
1000cc's is plenty for me (don't own one yet, but I have ridden one and had plenty of bikes to know).

Hydraulic lifters for low maintenance.
An ultra adjustable windscreen to finally kill the buffeting from day 1.
Stock center stand, Bash plate and engine guards.
ABS

I'd pay an extra $500 for them.

In reality, I see the Vee dieing this year and turning into something else... It seems like they are keeping the 650 (added ABS, sells better).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nope, no interest in anything over the 1050cc insurance price point. Not in any class of bike.
Having a bigger motor to flatter my ego I do understand, but I tend to give into my version of common sense first.
The only reason I can agree with to have more than 750cc is to tow and the only reason to have more than 1050cc is to tow something big.

I plan to build a small trail hopper single tire trailer like the one below, that's why I went for the 1000 instead of the 650.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts